Supra MkV

Strudul

Agree with Lexx, why go to the bother of putting together/building the Ft1, which was stunning and end up with that, real shame, mind you, still a million times better than those recent new z renderings.

Edited by Jetpilot

Concept cars are there to demonstrate the capability of the manufacturer for publicity and research purposes. However, for various reasons (such as productions costs, viability, and having to adhere to laws / regulations) they often can't become a reality in the same form.

They could make it like the FT-1, but it would be for a different target market due to a higher price and reduced practicality.

As amazing as it looks, if they increase the price to match those of more prestigious brands, it won't sell well, as people spending that money would rather say they own a Porsche than a Toyota.

Edited by Strudul

From the camo pics I've commented on within another post somewhere on here, it genuinely looks too stumpy, not the long bonnet sleek concept look. It also seems to have that high 'fender' thing above the front arch, like the new Mazda MX5 has... makes it all frumpy and ...crap lol They need to lower that damn engine... or get a bulge on the go

Edited by AMT

If it's the same car underneath as the BMW offering, then you'd be better off with the German as we know the interior will be a nice place to be, and I suspect it'll lose less on the depreciation as well.

All irrelevant really given the price tag these things are going to come out at! :lol:

From the camo pics I've commented on within another post somewhere on here, it genuinely looks too stumpy, not the long bonnet sleek concept look. It also seems to have that high 'fender' thing above the front arch, like the new Mazda MX5 has... makes it all frumpy and ...crap lol They need to lower that damn engine... or get a bulge on the go

That'll be the "What car after a 370Z" thread which I kinda sorta maybe hijacked :bleh:

If it's the same car underneath as the BMW offering, then you'd be better off with the German as we know the interior will be a nice place to be, and I suspect it'll lose less on the depreciation as well.

All irrelevant really given the price tag these things are going to come out at! :lol:

Considering the price (which is supposedly higher than a Vette), I'd have thought we could expect Lexus levels of interior.

They could make it like the FT-1, but it would be for a different target market due to a higher price and reduced practicality.

Enlighten me, why is it going to cost more to make it look like the Ft1?

I seem to remember the Supra costing £45-£50k in 93, that was a lot of money and pitching alongside cars of a much higher pedigree.

Its worth watching Apex on Netflix, they talk about hypercar development on there (and A Faster Horse) and talk about concept cars, how they are literally undriveable, that they are there to create wow/interest rather than show a real design. For the camo above, they could also be just testing the chassis, the bodywork could be very early stages for all we know.

I seem to remember the Supra costing £45-£50k in 93, that was a lot of money and pitching alongside cars of a much higher pedigree.

Why does any car cost more... Harder to produce and high design / development costs - costs which, unlike mass produced cars, aren't offset due to the low production volumes.

Sure they could mass produce it, but as i said, the target market for an FT-1 is tiny in comparison. Some of us would be happy living with it, but the majority don't want a car that is hard to live with (won't go over speed bumps, won't fit in parking spaces, almost too big for the road, hell in traffic). That's before you start worrying about making it pedestrian safe...

Edited by Strudul

Why does any car cost more

Drivetrain, 2.0 ltr turbo or v8 etc etc materials, carbon, leather or usual jdm plastics, body shape is largely irrelevant and its already been developed, moulds will have been made and used.

Guessing you havent driven many modern high performance cars, they have zero issues of parking, speed bumps, too big for the road etc and all are pedestrian safe.

The gtr manages to take on the german marques without issue, why not Toyota, particularly if it looked like the Ft1, thats the target market.

Anyway, I couldnt afford one but wouldnt be spending my 60 or 70k if i had it looking like your link :)

£50K in '93 would be £93K today, adjusted for inflation.

I'd expect that to be about right. I don't know where BMW will pitch their version, given the i8 exists at close to that price point. However, no-one in their right mind will pay £90K for a Toyota. Tbh, I can't see anyone paying £50K for a Toyota!