Just configured a Corvette ...

ATTAK Z

People said (some still do) the same about automatic gearboxes, the Tesla P85d is not dull to drive at all, its a shedload of money of course but its not a dull driving experience, in comparison I'm not sure a Leaf is any less exciting than a diesel Focus but people like to justify their prejudices

Had quite a bit of experience with yank cars in the past but wouldn't entertain a LHD on UK roads nowadays

in comparison I'm not sure a Leaf is any less exciting than a diesel Focus but people like to justify their prejudices

They do :lol:

I'd have a Corvette over any ev, even if it was capable of time travel, over most cars. Ever since I saw them compete with Aston Martin in 2007/8 at Le Mans, the noise is epic, even my Mrs said she would have one! They are a sexy beast of a car.

ev's? They're for a different thread ;)

Edited by The G Man
  • Like 1

How the heck did a thread about Corvettes get side tracked onto EV's? :shrug: I'm guessing gangzoom is in here somewhere and I've just missed him. :lol:

As others have said; "each to their own" but regardless of how fast EV's can be I can't see myself ever wanting one as there is so much more to what makes a great driving car then just performance alone, ...something to be said for the theatre of a good engine & exhaust sound. :cloud9:

Aren't they supposed to be coming up with a standard noise for EVs to make (for the safety of pedestrians etc)?

They've already got cars playing engine / exhaust sounds through the speakers, but it'll never be the same and it just seems fake and silly.

I'm not against the current hum / whirr of EVs, but it'll never be as good as a big, dirty V8 grumble.

If the 2020/1 Mustang is only available in EV form, I think I've got myself an appreciating asset :thumbs:

I wouldn't worry the current CEO of Ford like trucks, noise and big engines, after all isn't that what all real men want in life :). His gone on record as recently as December 16 to say how much he hates EVs, probably as much as some forum member here :). Trump will almost certainly dismantle the EPA once his in power so companies wouldn't be penalised for making big trucks with big engines. Once this happens with board will be happy for the CEO to do what ever he wants.

Ford will still be focusing in mainly on combustion cars despite what ever EV announcement the board has signed off on.

GM however who build the Corvette are the only other traditional manufacturer after Nissan dedicated to EVs for the last decade (and longer). Some nutter in the US has already built an electric version and it's not too shabby, an offical EV version cannot be far off.

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/03/02/new-corvette-ev-breaks-speed-record-hearts/

Edited by gangzoom

Market conditions will decide everything ultimately, if people can buy used petrol cars for a fraction of the cost of an EV, even if they cost more to run, they will. Until EV ownership becomes viable and comparable to petrol then there is no reason to switch. Pointing out how fast something is, really is irrelevant. Everything will go EV at some point, but how long it will take will be driven by oil prices, government policy on infrastructure, policy on car ownership, population size changes, car ownership numbers/counts, private sector investment in clean energy and so on and so forth.

I am not personally against EV ownership, as I said horses for courses some people like to drive in silence with a tablet on the dash and thats fine. Some people like to have a hearty engine roar and tactile dashboards thats also fine. Neither is better than the other because its what matters to the owner (we always say when people want mods to do what they want its their car right).

What he said ;) ^^

If the 2020/1 Mustang is only available in EV form, I think I've got myself an appreciating asset :thumbs:

I wouldn't worry the current CEO of Ford like trucks, noise and big engines, after all isn't that what all real men want in life :).

I wonder if the CEO of Ford is a member of a car forum, that advocates the use and ownership of big engined, NA, noisy exhausted cars, bit like the folks on here? ;)

I remember these kinds of conversations in the RC industry about 15 years ago. Electric was starting to see some technical advancement with the first brushless motors, and of course, I and many other serious RC hobbyists were like 'electric, meh, I'll stick with combustion, it's got soul, not characterless like those electrics. What would the hobby be without the noise and the unique smell of burning nitromethane (top fuel to the layman)?'... Time went by, combustion engine technology stood still (has nowhere to go, is already as mature as it will get), and electric continued progress apace. We still held on...Yes, electric is faster, but you have to change your battery, with combustion I jut fill up and go again! And still, electric has no soul! Then came the really serious lithium polymer batteries and further advances in multi-pole electric motor technology. Power densities and torque figures that had never been seen before and were starting to be FACTORS higher than combustion figures.

In the space of 5 years, electric RC had gone from 30mph, 5 mins per battery, 15 mins to charge, to 70mph, half hour per battery, 15 mins to charge. Us combustion advocates were left only with 'yeh, but without the sound and smell, where's the joy, where's the character, where's the tuning, everything that makes them great?'...but it was a fallacy, we were just trying to justify to ourselves why we should hang on to the past, what we knew.

The truth? The joy is still there, but instead of an impressive 40k redline, it's from the MASSIVE torque, the new abilities a truck has to do wheelies and backflips on demand at a blip of the throttle, the ability to out accelerate pretty much any real car on the road and a few bikes too. The ability to accelerate from 0 to top speed in only 10 meters in order to make jumps. Eventually, you had to realise that the massive performance gains had given it a soul of it;s own, an electric soul. A soul buzzing with insane power density and pent up rage, just waiting for you to pull the trigger and release those electrons straining at the (logic) gates. The rooster tails thrown out by the torque to the wheels, spraying 90% more bystanders with wet dirt than ever before.

Eventually, the conclusion was inescapable, electric is better, it's no longer a debate. Combustion is the past (unless used as an electric generator). And the only reason to dwell in the past is nostalgia. Yes, I will miss the sound of a nice engine, but there will be other tricks and advantages that will replace that, such that in a few years, you may still miss the noise and even the smell, but would NEVER give up what you've gained to have them back.

Here we are, 15 years later, and few would be luddite enough to try to claim that electric RC 'has no soul', it's just a different soul. Nitro still holds on, and has a strong market share, if that's any consolation to anyone. There certainly is a certain something that you can only get from combustion and many feel that the mess and dirt and oil are worth it.

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1

Hang on, are you actually comparing kiddy toy cars to driving the real thing?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've dabbled with these things in the past, and the only one I'd consider owning today would be a nitro one. Fiddling with engines is infinitely cooler than swapping motors, end of.