Anyone play guitar?

TT350

I have a few guitars, I will try and get some pictures up later but for now here is a list of guitars I own,

1975 Antoria les paul gold top ( had this since 1976 )

1996 Fender Stratocaster mexican in white

1995 Fender telecaster usa standard in candy apple red

20?? Fender john mayer usa Stratocaster in sunburst

2001 Gibson les paul standard in honeyburst

2005 Gibson sg standard in cherry

2014 Gibson explorer (the golden axe) limited edition 1 of only 400 made in goldburst

2010 Tackermine 325c semi in natural

• Like 1

Better late than never...

guitars1.jpg

L-R, all years approximate!

2002 Peavey International bass, my current gigging bass.

1997-ish Marlin Precision copy, I'd actually forgotten I owned this until my Mum found it clearing out my old bedroom a few years back! Probably one of the first basses I ever owned.

1994 Squier Strat, my first ever guitar. Sadly no longer works, hence the taped up strings. Kept purely for sentimental reasons.

2008 No-name Strat copy. My MIL bought this to learn on, gave up, gave it to me. I've never played it.

1997 Squier Jagmaster. Love this one so much, bought as a treat to myself when I was at college. The first guitar I bought myself when I could play more than three chords!

2001 Epiphone SG. I always wanted an SG but didn't fancy paying Gibson prices, and tbh I'm glad I didn't. Horribly unbalanced things, but they do look so cool.

2016 Ibanez AEG2411. My first ever acoustic, only bought last year. I really like the thin neck and body on this, feels very 'electric' in use which makes it easy to play.

2012 Fender Mustang Cobain edition. My precious. Huge fan of Nirvana, and as luck would have it I actually prefer my guitars with short scale necks too. Beautiful tone, dirty as hell if you want it, stunning.

guitars2.jpg

And the gear too:

Top: Peavey Bandit 112 Red. Some love these, some hate them. I think they give a surprisingly full tone from a solid state amp, and whilst they're not exactly delicate it does give me the tone I'm after.

Bottom: Trace Elliott GP7 SM 150. No longer running the original speaker (although I can't actually remember what I put in there now!), this has done me proud over the years on the road.

FX: Digitech RP1000. Bought a few months after the Mustang, and tbh it's not great. I had an ancient RP6 which was superb, but this is just a little gutless. The effects (chorus, flanger etc) themselves are spot-on, but the amp and cabinet stuff is so thin. Not a great buy if I'm honest, I still need to spend a good day tweaking everything really.

I really want a purple Ibanez electric next, something with some angles to look cool when playing metal on.

• Like 3

Nice collection Daniel!

You could always buy an RG and paint it like I did with mine!

It's been left a few days to really dry and harden. Now I have to sand it and buff it to a shiny gloss finish with some compound and a buffer.

Decided to paint the headstock the same colour as the body. Going to paint the machineheads a bronze/brass colour. Pick guard too, maybe. Although I have been thinking of carbon fibre wrap for the pickguard.

Edited by TT350

• 5 weeks later...

Quick one for folks, does anyone have any experience with both Explorer and Les Pauls? I know they're very different guitars, but ignoring tone how different do they feel to play? For both rhythm and lead stuff, preferably Gibson spec but I'll take input from Epiphone players too :) Standing as well as sitting, if possible.

I spent over three hours yesterday properly setting up the tones on the RP1000 too, and I'm so glad I did. I take back everything I said about it, as all it needed was some tweaks to the on-board equaliser and everything comes alive! Much fuller tones now, the Boogie DR setting is seriously impressive, and the the TR one is face melting! Some wonderful clean tones from the Vox AC30 setting too, full and bright. Best thing to do I found was to set the actual amp to midway on all the tone knobs, then just use the RP1000 via the

PC to adjust settings on the fly. Fiddly but with pretty much unlimited options.

I was all set to drop some serious money on a new amp, but now I really have no need to.

You know you've asked one of 'those' questions don't you.

Go and play them :lol:

Unless you really want to pay for an overpriced guitar, don't ignore the Epiphone's either you might be quite surprised.

A heap of videos here, which I'm sure you're aware of anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/user/RobChappers/featured

https://www.youtube.com/user/AndertonsMusic/featured

For ex:

I didn't mean to knock the Epiphones, I had a much-loved Riviera for many years :)

Am going to pop out next week to go test some, just trying to form some kind of opinion before I go really so I don't go in totally blind :lol:

I'd also like to go and play some too, actually Andertons is my local store too, so I know there are tons in stock to try out.

I know I wouldn't ultimately drop more than £1k on a guitar, I'm just not THAT good, plus my Z will get jealous :lol:

But I'd like to feel what the difference is like, high end Epiphone, Gibson and both shapes (Ex/LP) too.

Try them unplugged first as the pickups will totally colour your opinion too :)

Heh, it was Andertons I was planning on going to as well, they seem to have the biggest range of stock within a sensible radius. Well, Peach are closer to me by miles, but their range isn't as wide any more and they've moved significantly upmarket in terms of what they offer.

I'm not that good either, but having been used to £400 guitars for years and then getting the Mustang which was an £800 one, the difference was night and day and worth every penny. I don't mind spending the extra on something that's right, but only if it is right. You're definitely right about paying unplugged first, for me the thing has to feel 'right' in the hands as it could sound like an angel weeping tears of joy when cranked up, but if it's not comfy then there's just no point.

• Like 1

It's a great store, just choose your timing wisely !

If you go late Saturday morning or afternoon - the place can get overrun with kids and teenagers. It might be worth giving them a call or an email to enquire when it's good so that you can spend a couple of hours finding something you like :)

Marvellous, cheers bud.

I was planning on giving them a call later this week so they can get a few ready for me, and then get there for when they open as I bet it's chaos otherwise :lol: How's the parking round there? Will prob take the Scoob rather than the Bummer.

If you're early, there are about 3-4 spaces directly in front of the shop, so you'd be facing the window.

If you're unlucky there are some spots across the road, or if you can't find anything, York Road (GU1 4DS) multistory car park is probably the biggest one nearby (10 min walk).

:thumbs:

I have played on and off for years. Not had one now for maybe 7 or 8 years.

I bought a brand new Ibanez on Gumtree the other week. £90.

It's only a Gio Ibanez (like smartprice value guitar) but I've got a set of EMG pickups. EMG 81 And 85 and a wiring set.

Will keep on the lookout for a wizard 2 neck.

Currently painting the body in my cellar. Will buy a different pickguard because the leopard skin one it has is disgusting!

I had an Ibanez last time too. An RGR321EX. That came with EMG pickups in early models like the one I had. Later on they replaced the EMG's with IBZ pickups.

20161220_115840_zps5evdsaf3.jpg

I play and have done for around 10 years, although I've not picked it up for a couple of months due to a house move. Main guitar is an Ibanez PGM301, complete with EMG's and a wizard 2. Lovely guitar to play although I'm no Paul Gilbert.

I give lessons in my spare time,

I had an Ibanez S470 dxqm with the floyd rose a few years back, nice guitar but got rid of it.

Currently have:

Mexican Fender Strat - White with maple neck and changed the scrath plate to a pearl white marble effect

PRS SE Tremonti - white (let the students use this one :lol: )

Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6 - Black cherry finish with EMG's (Love this thing)

Got a Marshall half stack MG100FX ( not the best but had it for years)

I was using a Boss GT10 up until last week but I just got the Boss GT100, not used it long enough to say too much but initial impressions are very good!

I was using a Boss GT10 up until last week but I just got the Boss GT100, not used it long enough to say too much but initial impressions are very good!

How do you find the amp modelling on that? Do you run it via the Marshall, or direct to PC/PA?

• Like 1

How do you find the amp modelling on that? Do you run it via the Marshall, or direct to PC/PA?

Very impressed, I set it up through a little practice amp which just couldn't handle it :lol:

the presets are really good, the harmonising effects are amazing, you tell it what key you're playing in and how many steps down/up you want it to play and it sounds amazing. The GT10 had one but it wasn't as clever, it was much more of a pitch shift rather than harmony.

it also has an expression pedal that makes some mental noises, not quite sure I would use them live but quite interesting all the same.

The guy in my band has the Roland GR 55 midi pedal, I would have the GT100 everyday of the week. The GR 55 does make sounds a guitar shouldn't make but the actual guitar sounds just dont sound anywhere near as good.

• Like 1