Cant upload photos file too big ?

huseyin

Not sure what you are doing wrong Dan! Here are my accounts on both, side by side in the library section...2-0 in ad count to PB

Picture1_zpsydx9tagt.png

Somewhat ironically I put this image on PB because I don't want junk on my Imgur account and it took ages for the upload page to appear, I had to click off two separate ads to get to the actual upload section, watch an ad whilst it uploaded, then had to wait 10 seconds whilst an ad loaded and slowed down my access to my photo to paste here!

Started to see that some sites are blocking out their content as I use an ad blocker on the Mac (Ghostery), which has been quite useful at reducing the crap that otherwise simply puts me off going anywhere further with the site concerned. So, they may think they are being clever but no skin off my nose if they think that will make me turn off the ad blocker. PB is riddled with ads now - last time I went on there 32 of them had been blocked and even then pop-ups were getting through, so again my use of PB is likely to cease altogether :dry:

OK, so you can pay for ad-free service (which by all accounts it never is) but all these extra monthly fees soon add up, but frankly I'm not that desperate to view stuff that relies on ads to perform.

Certainly looking forward to the forum upgrade that will hopefully allow posting of full size pics directly from the phone/camera so that we do not have to phaff around with the current laborious method imposed by the impact on bandwidth.

• 1 month later...

I'm really surprised nobody has yet pointed out that the upload limit on posts is indeed draconian, workaround 3rd party hosting solutions aside, this needs to be increased to at least half a megabyte.

P.S. Yes, I'm well aware of the potential impact on storage and hosting costs, may I suggest it's time to bite the bullet and do it anyway.

Edited by Aashenfox

I'm really surprised nobody has yet pointed out that the upload limit on posts is indeed draconian, workaround 3rd party hosting solutions aside, this needs to be increased to at least half a megabyte.

P.S. Yes, I'm well aware of the potential impact on storage and hosting costs, may I suggest it's time to bite the bullet and do it anyway.

I'm sure the team would be very grateful of a generous donation to increase the bandwidth, but trust you have very deep pockets for that to happen :lol:

• Like 2

No you don't. I've worked in Datacenters, run my own servers and been an it professional for 25 years, that's why I said I'm well aware of the potential impact. This is nowhere near the most quiet enthusiast forum (and therefore generating least revenue from advertising and donations) that I frequent, but it does have the smallest attachment limit I've seen. Anyway, that's my suggestion and that's what this forum is for, management is in no way required to acquiesce to my request or justify their policy. They should however be aware that technology moves, data gets bigger and transferred faster, while 256k might have been enough for a phone pic back in the day, it isn't any more. Plus many users simply aren't savvy enough to resize pictures. Of course if the policy is purposely intended to save storage by forcing people to use third party solutions or be a master at optimizing images, congratulations, its working. :)

Why should the club have to shell out money when there are plenty of free options out there for people to use? 256k is plenty, no pic needs to be bigger than that, and tbh it's not like most people only use this place and nowhere else. If you open up the limits then people will just take the p*ss, as it stands the limit is perfectly usable for all but the very biggest of files.

I already stated why (times change, data gets bigger and storage gets cheaper). But I can add another reason if you like. I surf here mostly from work, from which image hosting sites are mostly blocked. It's very inconvenient to have to make every image 800 x 600 in this day and age and jpg quality 4 or lower. Plus if the limit were higher, more people would use it and I'd be able to see more picture posts from the office. I know this a maybe 10% circumstance, but once again, this is the requests forum and I'm here requesting it, not demanding it. Or how about because we support the community, I click on banners often rather than donating, I do this on many sites I frequent. Doesn't cost me anything and helps the owners. Editing and cropping images does cost me time. If you need any more reasons, let me know.

Yes, I'd like to know why the Club should spend more when there are plenty of free options for users out there? That was my first question, and one you didn't answer.

*ahem*

I surf here mostly from work, from which image hosting sites are mostly blocked

Though having spent most of my school life bypassing the internet filters with relative ease, I'm sure you could find a solution (proxy, vpn, unblocked host)

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1

Thanks mate. And also, Dan, take your pick from the following...

1) It's the done thing these days...this is the lowest internal attachment size I've seen!

2) It would be a nice convenience for the membership

3) Storage costs have surely been going down over the years, so I'd be willing to bet that to up this limit now will cost them no more than it did when the limit was first implemented.

4) Because this is the requests forum and I requested it (though as I already said, they are not obliged to acquiesce to my (again as I already stated 10% circumstance) request).

Edited by Aashenfox

Nope, still not seeing a valid reason to increase costs for the Club, sorry.

How cheap do you think it should be? If it was a paid option here, would you take that offer up? Being in IT, I assume you have many different ways to store your pics already anyway.