350z Weight?

ash170990

Done a search but cant find anything....

where does the weight of the car come from? is it mainly in the body work or the engine? Can much weight be lost?

reason i ask is i love driving mine and would like to track it, but with the weight i know it will be hard on breaks and tyres etc, obviously first step would be to take out the interior and put in some light seats, but where would be next? would a fibreglass rear hatch save a decent amount of weight or am i just clutching at straws and even replacing all the panels going to be left with a big heavy car due to the chassis/engine?

It can be made significantly lighter but it will no longer resemble anything like a road car, so unless it's a track only car, it's a little pointless and expensive. (my opinion).

I considered this route before selling mine but after some research it just didn't seem worth while.

• Like 1

problem with stripping a car like a zed is that it quite quickly becomes unusable day to day, and you haven't actually saved a lot of weight. its a heavy car, take out 100kgs and its still a heavy car.

That said, I've been in a couple of fairly standard zeds on trackdays and they perform well anyways - if you're thinking of tracking a car id start off in a fairly standard zed (perhaps with just some brake upgrades) and see how you get on. if the bug bites, you can then decide how much to invest, and what compromises you're prepared to put up with - or alternatively you might find you're better off buying a cheap bmw/mx5 and going to town on it, knowing its not your daily driver.

reducing weight is great if you can get big gains for free, but brakes, tyres, suspension and driver tuition will make you faster round a track.

• Like 1

problem with stripping a car like a zed is that it quite quickly becomes unusable day to day, and you haven't actually saved a lot of weight. its a heavy car, take out 100kgs and its still a heavy car.

That said, I've been in a couple of fairly standard zeds on trackdays and they perform well anyways - if you're thinking of tracking a car id start off in a fairly standard zed (perhaps with just some brake upgrades) and see how you get on. if the bug bites, you can then decide how much to invest, and what compromises you're prepared to put up with - or alternatively you might find you're better off buying a cheap bmw/mx5 and going to town on it, knowing its not your daily driver.

reducing weight is great if you can get big gains for free, but brakes, tyres, suspension and driver tuition will make you faster round a track.

What he said. Start with driver tuition as this will be the cheapest way of going faster round a track.

• Like 1

If it's only for the odd trackday, then just slap some 888Rs on and you're good to go. As others have said, take too much out and you lose the usability, which would be a shame.

Then again, I'm happy driving fully stripped cars without a care in the world, so if you're the same then do it! Take out anything and everything you can :)

• Like 1

Yeah i have a 205 gti for track, but as said enjoy driving the 350z so was gonna look at using that too lol

Drivign a stripped out car doesnt bother me at all, loved it with my old evo lol just a wheel seat and cage lol i just didnt want it to be a pointless exercise, i.e. im sure i read somewhere they weigh aroudn 1600kg? now i wouldnt mind throwing some money at it if you can make a noticeable difference i.e. get it down to 1100/1200kg. Is this realistic or not possible?

From here:

OEM Weights

Full tank of gas: 6.5 lbs. x 20 gallons = 130

Removable:

Strut Bar: 7

Rear Speakers: 1lb x 2 = 2

Cat Brace: 2.5

Rear Wiper Motor: 1.5

Trunk Weight: 2.5

Floor Mat: 2.3lb x 2 = 4.6

Diffuser: 2.8

Sub Bracket: 4

Pads in glove box: 5

Rear Trunk Mat: 7

Spare Tire: 35

Spare Tire Cover: 1.5

Tools: 6

Total Removable Weight: 81.4lbs

Replaceable

Upper Plenum: 9

Lower Plenum: 12

Rear Sway: 3.6

Front Sway: 14.4

Hood: 22.8

Stock 17" wheels and tires: 52lb x 4 = 208

Muffler: 34

Mid Pipe: 12

Y Pipe: 16

Cats: 23lb x 2 = 46

Fabric Seats: 37lb x 2 = 74

Battery: 36

Clutch: 22.2

Flywheel: 23

Aftermarket weights:

Odyssey PC 680 battery: 15 lbs.

Odyssey PC 545 battery: 11.5lbs

JIC 3" Titanium Exhaust: 9lbs

Bride Gias Seats: 24.2lb x 2 = 48.4

Swap some panels for CF and the windows for plastic, gut the interior, replace everything for lighter components and you might manage 1200kg.

Also see this guy's efforts.

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 2

. get it down to 1100/1200kg. Is this realistic or not possible?

Afraid unrealistic and not possible my friend. :)

Shame, think it would be an animal around that weight lol

It could be an animal at 1600 kg but you would require a second mortgage.

• Like 2

I beg to differ.

(Left 03-05, Right 06+)

d7a155261f948b6a69b33dd8a929fe6e.png

Considering the Grand Am car:

Overall racing weight was 2,450 lb (1,110 kg) which was the minimum allowable weight for its class.

On one hand they've done a lot of weight saving you'd struggle to do on a road car, but on the other hand, they would have also had extra weight from parts that aren't required on a road car. Plus they were restricted by the min allowance, so they could have gone even lighter.

And then there's this guy who managed 2725lbs / 1236.039kg and that's with a roll cage and a few things left to do.

Bit of Google-fu on the potential improvements that guy can do:

-Swap the boot and glass for CF + Lexan and you save 50lbs

-Ti exhaust will save 50lbs

-Lightweight headers and cats is probably another 20lbs

-Replace doors and panels with fibreglass or CF

-Other windows with Lexan

-Cut out some metal bits

Looking at sub 2600lbs / 1180kg.

:dry:

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1

haha to be fair it is already a bit of an animal, but i want something that scares me each time i drive it lol

haha to be fair it is already a bit of an animal, but i want something that scares me each time i drive it lol

Drive blindfolded, great fun and super scary on the motorway.

• Like 2