Turbo - Talk to me.....

secretstar07979

Ok guys. Complete car layman here.

I want to improve the performance of my 350. I understand the only real way to go about this is to turbocharge it.

I understand there are kits available? Where can i get such kits? I hear Momentum did good ones but have now gone to the wall?

What kind of money are we talking and can you recommend a good place close to the Midlands that can carry out the work.

I know this won't be cheap by any stretch of the imagination but I love the 350 (I prefer the styling to the 370) and I want more performance out of it.

Thanks for your help

Adam

Turbos ball park £10-£12k with forged engine getting someone else to do it , supercharging cheaper maybe £5k-£7k

No way you'd get a turbo set up and a forged engine all fitted, built & running for £10-£12K.

My supercharged build cost me over £9K once everything was bought and fitted but I did have some parts fitted that weren't necessarily necessary for a supercharged build.

The cheapest you could supercharge the Zed for with all the parts necessary, plus fitting & mapping would be around £6.5K imo (all new parts of course).

• Like 1

Yeah. If your wallet isn't deep or you cant find a bargain such as I did (decent comprehensive 2nd hand kit) then turbo z is expensive. You have to weigh it up. Can you get a car as visually appealing as the Z with easily upgradeable power IE already turbo? If something else does fit that description then better to go for that in terms of power.

Edited by TT350
  • Like 1

Depending on how much power you want SC is more common turbo or twin turbo will give more power but cost more, worth looking at some of the 2nd hand boosted Zed's that come up it's cheaper than starting from scratch just be careful not to buy a lemon.

Good luck with it I and several others have been down this road and it aint cheap but I had fun and still have my SC 370z and still love it (on the odd occasion I get to drive her)

Edit : Build thread for my 350 SC http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/52481-project-zee-business-update-25th-july/

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

What is the difference between a super charger and a turbo?

Not sure if I'm being trolled here :lol:

Turbo runs a compressor by using the exhaust gas to power it an SC is a compressor that runs by a pulley connected to the crank usually from the front pulley. I'm sure YouTube will have videos explaining the difference between the systems they have pros and cons. Google is your friend at this point :)

Think he means with regards to power, power delivery and need for supporting modifications.

He could well do I suppose, surprising how you read something and make an assumption isn't it? :)

I still say Google is your friend though ;)

I've had a good sale recently and have some spare cash that needs using up. What better way than to spend it than ramping up my engine? For the record you aren't being trolled. I'm that clueless I'm afraid. I don't think it's google I need so much as a good garage in the know who won't rip me off. Any suggestions in the Midlands?

I've been quoted around 4 - 5k for the job all in. That's pretty much what I paid for the car originally. Although going off this thread that figure now looks very ambitious. To be honest if it's getting 6k plus then I suppose I do need to be looking at other options......

Here's a question you can help me with. Will a supercharger deliver more power lower end? As I've learnt to drive the car to get the best out of it I find I'm constantly driving it at or over 4000 rpm to get that instant power and performance. How will super charging effect this? Will it be the same but more so or will having it SC give me more low end grunt.

Edited by secretstar07979

If you have been quoted that price "all-in", then I would honestly look for a different garage, because I don't belive it can be done well and reliable at that price point.

If you want to know the difference between Turbo vs Supercharger, take some time and watch these vids from MightyCarMods

• Like 2

4-5k? That could only be labour. Not a chance of that being turbo kit AND labour let alone kit/forged engine/uprated clutch/labour.

Here's a breakdown of what I paid.

Used power Enterprise twin turbo kit £3500

New would have been roughly £7000 which is about par for the course for a truly complete kit.

Labour of fitting the kit £3200

Clutch £450

Uprated bottom end £4200

Fitting of bottom end will be £1000 to £1500

Increase in insurance +£500

Decent tyres to handle the power £600

Dyno tuning...and so on and so on.

Edited by TT350

Unless you love your particular 350 or its unique (wide body kit and paint) your better off buying one done and putting your own touches to it to make it your own aesthetically.

Unless your looking for big numbers, supercharger is the better option, imho.