Toyota GT86

Superman001

Much slower. Much nicer inside. Much worse engine note. Much worse engine full stop. Much better chassis. Much better tuning options. Much better gear change. Much better seats. Brakes about the same.

Ive had a couple Civic Type R's in the past so know what its like having not much torque, the engine note can be changed with exhaust or unequal length headers.

I just think I might enjoy a car where I can access its limits at safer speeds and enjoy the handling over outright power.

I'm well aware that my Zed is 10 years old with increasing maintenance costs and in the higher tax bracket

• Like 1

I would not consider tax brackets as a reason whether to own a car to be honest. A couple of hundred quid difference on a car which will cost £15k+ where aftermarket exhausts/tuning costs thousands, why are you concerned about a couple hundred quid?

Lack of torque isn't the issue, it's just very harsh and not pleasant to rev. The silly intake noise thing needs ripping out before anything else, it's dreadful.

They're a fun car, and I do like the BRZ86 as an alternative to the 350, but the limits are no lower than a 350 as you need to be just as committed to get the car sliding. You could achieve the same by putting crappier tyres on a 350, that's half the reason the Toyobaru moves around so much.

• Like 1

I would not consider tax brackets as a reason whether to own a car to be honest. A couple of hundred quid difference on a car which will cost £15k+ where aftermarket exhausts/tuning costs thousands, why are you concerned about a couple hundred quid?

Im not overly concerned about the tax, its just one of the little costs that all add up. I think a new GT86 is less to fuel, tax, no MOT to worry about for 3 years, tyres, discs/pads cost less and I would probably enjoy driving it more.

Get an s2000 instead of brz

I'm not sure an equally old car as a 350 is going to help him in the reliability stakes.

S2000 are going up in price and only 2 seats. I have to keep hold of my Honda Accord for when Ive got the family in the car, at least with the GT86 you can squeeze the kids in if I had to.

The ride and handling in an 86 is better sorted than a zed. Not that I think a zed is a bad handling car, just that you can really feel the extra weight over the 86. In every other way I prefer the zed (in fact I don't really prefer the handling in the 86, just that it feels better resolved).

• Like 1

The engine in the 86 is woeful. Yes, it has potential but you can say that about nearly every car out there. I was so set on buying one but a test drive at Struans of Perth put paid to that. Can get an MX5 or an SLK for similar money. Having had a shot of my mates old SLK I'd sooner have one over the BRZ/86.

If it's a new 86 you're considering, you're not far off decent 370z money, really. Still got a soft spot for the MK1 Nismo.

As some have said above. Great car - looks wonderful, interior is great, but the engine is lacking. Yes it is great for dinner feedback when giving it the beans, just needs more poke.

As G said ^^. I was all set on getting a GT as my next car after selling the 350 last year. But after a test drive it felt some what lacking, and for the same money I ended up buying a 370. Which is so much better all round.

As luck would have it if your looking for a new motor the 370 is now for sale :lol:

• Like 2

Agree with the above. I looked at 86, TT and 370 when deciding to move on from a 200SX.

86 was sooo gutless I though I was driving it wrong, as I was going from a turbo to NA. Went back for a another go to really try to abuse it and still it failed to respond where you thought it should - 2/3rd gear out of corners/roundabouts was very disappointing. It was struck off the list before I even left the dealership.

TT was a nice place to be in, but to drive was lackluster - felt numb, no feedback from wheel or pedals, road noise was obtrusive for a gt. Again had a couple of go's but the lack of feel made me uncomfortable trying anything but normal driving.

370 was a whole different world - was a convert on my first drive in one, hence being here :)

I've had two 350z the second supercharged, I agree with Ekona on most apart from engine note. As mentioned by another, an exhaust change or header change and the boxer note becomes alive (big fan). I chose the Gt86 over many other cars because of how well it drives and how it makes you become part of it, as mentioned again the chassis and weight make a big difference. Mine is supercharged and a lot quicker than a standard zed, with coilovers and a decent set of tyres it felt incredible at the track and for spirited driving. Many people with a lot more expensive cars have commented how great the 86 is, IMO a great little package.

• Like 1

I forgot to specifically mention the steering of the 86 actually, which is lovely.

I'd also add that I think some people are being a bit harsh towards the engine. It needs to be worked very hard to get any joy out of it for sure, but it's not THAT bad. I certainly don't think it's the woeful cement mixer of a powerplant that some are making out.

• Like 2

I forgot to specifically mention the steering of the 86 actually, which is lovely.

I'd also add that I think some people are being a bit harsh towards the engine. It needs to be worked very hard to get any joy out of it for sure, but it's not THAT bad. I certainly don't think it's the woeful cement mixer of a powerplant that some are making out.

The zed engine needs to be worked so I'm not sure about that comment either tbh. Forced induction transforms ther car, many options on the market aswell; I'm sure Mark at Abbey or the guys at Tarmac Sportz could give you a non bias comparison between the zed and 86.

• Like 1