Toyota GT86

Superman001

Depreciation is something worth taking into account. My mate is looking at a BRZ and it was something like £25k new. You can get a second hand one few years old with about 15,000 on the clock for £14-15k. £10,000 drop in a few years is pretty steep.

Depreciation is something worth taking into account. My mate is looking at a BRZ and it was something like £25k new. You can get a second hand one few years old with about 15,000 on the clock for £14-15k. £10,000 drop in a few years is pretty steep.

Its not really , my 370z was £36500 new , less than 2 years later i paid £23k thats fairly typical

Some real horror stories re depreciation here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3932046/Which-cars-biggest-money-guzzlers-MG-model-worth-QUARTER-price-just-three-years-road.html

• Like 1

Its not really , my 370z was £36500 new , less than 2 years later i paid £23k thats fairly typical

Some real horror stories re depreciation here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3932046/Which-cars-biggest-money-guzzlers-MG-model-worth-QUARTER-price-just-three-years-road.html

wow of them are really bad.

It is really worth taking into account if you cant afford to do £10k in depreciation, as mentioned you could buy a 2nd hand whatever and loose nothing like that, its not like we are talking a new model where there is no 2nd hand option.

Edited by Jetpilot

yes it would be nice with a bit more power but the handling and the way it drives is of more importance.

I like to call this the S2000 conundrum. Is the handling and the way it drives really the most important thing on a daily/commuter, or are things like comfort, accessibility of performance and refinement more important?

As Ive always said, if you have a racetrack on the way to work then the S2K is the car for you, but if you sit in traffic and roll along at 30mph all of the time a Zed is a much better bet, Ive no doubt its the same with the GT86. And rather than comparing a GT86 with a big Gt car, why doesnt anyone put it up against an Elise?

• Like 1

I've had my GT86 for about 6 months now and sold my S2 111S Elise a couple weeks ago after 4 years of ownership. With a little one now the Elise was hardly being used and since I got the GT86 I think I went out in the Elise a couple times.

They have similarities, great handling, an engine that needs to be worked to get the performance and they feel similar to drive in that the GT86 feels racey like a sports car. Ultimately an Elise is faster, handles better, stops quicker but its very hard to reach its limits on public roads so is best reserved for track not to mention the compromise in comfort and practicality.

For day to day the GT86 is great as its easy to have fun at legal speeds, its not that slow either, A-B it makes good progress.

• Like 2

Back to cost, the point made about depreciation is a big one. On the one hand mentioning that future costs will be x but then putting yourself in a position where depreciation will leave you in negative equity of circa 25%-30% is hardly good planning in financial terms. Keep the zed and buy a parts warranty or the like instead and save yourself thousands if that's the main concern.

The GT86 is a different car with its own particularly strengths, straight line speed and power isn't one of them, as ever the answer is go for what you think suits you.

• Like 1

I've had my GT86 for about 6 months now and sold my S2 111S Elise a couple weeks ago after 4 years of ownership. With a little one now the Elise was hardly being used and since I got the GT86 I think I went out in the Elise a couple times.

They have similarities, great handling, an engine that needs to be worked to get the performance and they feel similar to drive in that the GT86 feels racey like a sports car. Ultimately an Elise is faster, handles better, stops quicker but its very hard to reach its limits on public roads so is best reserved for track not to mention the compromise in comfort and practicality.

For day to day the GT86 is great as its easy to have fun at legal speeds, its not that slow either, A-B it makes good progress.

Sounds like the GT86 cound be a winner. much better to explore the limits of grip at legal speeds.

Sounds like the GT86 cound be a winner. much better to explore the limits of grip at legal speeds.

I dont understand why this is a good thing? Put crap tyres on your 350Z and youll reach the limit at under 70mph too, hell, use a Micra and youll probably be there by 50mph. If you by "explore the limits" you mean "smash about everywhere sideways" then a 350Z is quite capable of doing that too, trust me :lol:

Its a £15K sportscar at the end of the day, if its really at the limit at 69mph then Ill probably give it a miss thank ;)

• Like 2

^^^ I am with Doc on this.

If you want something thats going to offer a better feel due to weight and chassis i get it the reason to change, although in reality as above, how often you get to do that is a different story. If its just to keep you in "legal" territory, i think you will be very bored very quickly and still be pushing the envelope as much as a 350.

The 86 is so well balanced with so much feedback similar to an Elise its very easy to provoke it even at slow speeds, its then very easy to control on edge. At speed it does move around a little but still has plenty of grip, its not like its setup to go sideways every where. There's been a few times where I've thought I've over done it into a corner in the Elise for it to just go round well within its limits, finding the limits of an Elise you would have to be really pushing on.

A 350Z in comparison being a GT car does feel very heavy and not as chuckable.

Edited by un1eash
  • Like 1

its not like its setup to go sideways every where

I was under the impression that was one of its key points, hence the skinny tyres!

But you have to want it to go sideways. It doesn't just slide around all over the place.

Completly agree, it would be dangerous if it suddenly let go mid corner into snap oversteer. I've not yet driven an 86 but I imagine if you go into a corner on the brakes to transfer the weight over the front wheels then provoke the rear with the throttle it will oversteer.

its not like its setup to go sideways every where

I was under the impression that was one of its key points, hence the skinny tyres!

But you have to want it to go sideways. It doesn't just slide around all over the place.

Yeah sure, but thats the same as any car surely, i wasnt suggesting it was tail happy (ala old capris), but it was easy to get the back out because of its tyre set up.

Oem prius tyres are pretty poor and they were chosen for that reason, its part of the reason 0-60 isnt great. I use rainsport 3's simply for there wet performance.

People always seem to ask me if the 350z was tail happy and have this impression that they are.

• Like 1

People always seem to ask me if the 350z was tail happy and have this impression that they are.

Errr ......... they are? See many , many threads on here about the evil that will occur if you turn the traction control off for evidence :o

Never found mine to be massively tail happy.

The GT86 needs a 2JZ, should have come with one. That's it. /thread. If you can afford the swap, get one, if not, there are better cars.

Zs are tail happy if you add grip to the front.

Best car you can get that fits your description, fun but can squeeze the kids in, just get a 911 and be done with it.

Edited by Aashenfox