New Z owner. Juddering under braking and can't get it up my (very steep) drive

bluefrog

Hey all, just bought my first zed. overall pretty happy with it, but discovered a few issues...

As in post title, I found the car suffers from quite bad 'juddering' when braking, more noticeable at higher speeds. I guessed it was a warped front disk, had the car checked by a mechanic who did discover NSF disk was slightly warped, so 2 new disks & fresh pads fitted. I Thought this was problem solved but it's still juddering! Perhaps not as severe/frequent as before, but it's still there... last time I took front wheels off I did notice a slight buckle on NSF alloy, so the next task is to get this off & take it for a full check. If it's still juddering after that I'm guessing it will be hub/suspension joints at fault??

Other issue as in post title is I can hardly get the bloody car up my drive! It is ridiculously steep and i know it's a heavy car, but the car has falken tyres all round and all that torque! Rears are getting a bit low but a good few mm above wear indicators yet... even when I turn traction control off the tyres spin like crazy and I barely make it up. I know this is just going to wear what's left of the rears down very fast, but don't want to leave the car down on the public road overnight...

My last car, a honda s2000 with Toyo Proxes T1R's all round crawled up nicely without a hint of tyre slip!! Guess all I can do is put fresh rubber on the rears and see how it does...

Anyway, any advice would be great

Cheers

Ben - slightly frustrated new Z owner...

Ello

A buckled wheel would vibrate at speeds before you touched the brakes also. Possibly dirt or corrosion on the hub faces where the discs meet the axle.

Check maybe the prev owner had 45psi in the tyres, which won't help matters. Tbf not sure about that one pal.

Hey all, just bought my first zed. overall pretty happy with it, but discovered a few issues...

As in post title, I found the car suffers from quite bad 'juddering' when braking, more noticeable at higher speeds. I guessed it was a warped front disk, had the car checked by a mechanic who did discover NSF disk was slightly warped, so 2 new disks & fresh pads fitted. I Thought this was problem solved but it's still juddering! Perhaps not as severe/frequent as before, but it's still there... last time I took front wheels off I did notice a slight buckle on NSF alloy, so the next task is to get this off & take it for a full check. If it's still juddering after that I'm guessing it will be hub/suspension joints at fault??

Other issue as in post title is I can hardly get the bloody car up my drive! It is ridiculously steep and i know it's a heavy car, but the car has falken tyres all round and all that torque! Rears are getting a bit low but a good few mm above wear indicators yet... even when I turn traction control off the tyres spin like crazy and I barely make it up. I know this is just going to wear what's left of the rears down very fast, but don't want to leave the car down on the public road overnight...

My last car, a honda s2000 with Toyo Proxes T1R's all round crawled up nicely without a hint of tyre slip!! Guess all I can do is put fresh rubber on the rears and see how it does...

Anyway, any advice would be great

Cheers

Ben - slightly frustrated new Z owner...

Hi ben congrats on the zed, I know how you feel I had similar issues when first getting the car so can relate. once these issues are gone you'll love it to bits. The juddering could be a worn wheel bearing or also the rear brakes so certainly worth checking. The Falken tyres on the back are an absolute joke, I had Falkens on the back and towards the end of their life the grip is terrible. The z cars are completely transformed with some decent tyres on all 4 corners.

I have a similar issue. Some slight juddering on hard breaking. My car is booked in for a full service next week so I expect the culprit will show itself then.

I can live with it as it's really not noticable unless under hard breaking but I figure it will only get worse so it needs sorting.

My parents have a steepish drive and I have to reverse up it. It's a complete ball ache as like you my wheels spin constantly. I imagine it will be a nightmare car to drive in snowy / icy conditions. I find giving it hardly any revs and crawling up helps.

Edited by secretstar07979

My parents have a steepish drive and I have to reverse up it. It's a complete ball ache as like you my wheels spin constantly. I imagine it will be a nightmare car to drive in snowy / icy conditions. I find giving it hardly any revs and crawling up helps.

Put some winter tyres on, It makes a colossal difference.

These are the joys of buying a second hand car so much to check when viewing and driving. My 05 350 seemed superb brakes good steering fine and convinced salesman that I needed an extended test drive to include roads outside a 30mph limit but within a couple of month was obvious that the banana arms were shot ... low speed parking and manouvering.

My guess will be DTV:

But hes fitted new discs?

But has he rectified the underlying problem ?

No, so its probably not DTV, is it .......... Im not taking the ****, I honestly dont understand how DTV can be a problem if youve just replaced the discs?

My guess will be DTV:

But hes fitted new discs?

But has he rectified the underlying problem ?

No, so its probably not DTV, is it .......... Im not taking the ****, I honestly dont understand how DTV can be a problem if youve just replaced the discs?

but he's only replaced the front discs which made it ok for a bit but then came back....so must be the rear discs corroded. My money's on the rears.

Wow... just have to say a big thanks all, so much info and suggestions! This forum is already proving very helpful.

So... safe to say new rubber on the rears would be a wise move to start with...

Still a few things that could be causing the juddering, but I know front disks and pads are not to blame. The garage did check all four disks and only found a warp on one of the fronts, so I think it's unlikely the rear brakes are causing it. As davey_83 pointed out a buckled wheel would cause juddering/vibration all the time, not just under braking so unlikely to be the cause. I've just jacked up the front again to do an oil change and there is some vert/top-bottom play in NSF wheel, which suggests worn/damaged bearing or suspension bushes? Worn bearing causing ABS to kick in kinda makes sense, might try removing the ABS fuse to see if it still judders...

Thanks again for all the advice

Ben

How many miles and prev owners. Guess you bought private sale? I agree new decent tyre will help but also is the clutch point biting OK or are you having to over rev to compensate. Flooring uphill with greasy Falkens doesn't get you anywhere but I liked the odd mini drift before I ditched mine !

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk