New 350z owner - Couple of questions - will put some bonus pics up

Dudey52

Hi guys, first time owner of a 350z here. Bought it about 5 weeks ago. Loving the car so far, just a couple of issues.

Its a 2008 HR with 53000 miles on the clock.

Do these cars not like going below 1500rpm? If I'm slowing down and the revs go below 1500rpm, when I apply the gas a few seconds later it seems to judder a bit? I've never experienced this before in any previous cars. The lower the revs, the worse it gets. If the revs go below 1500rpm then I have to release the clutch and apply more gas then re-enage the clutch otherwise it judders/jolts forward sharply. This is only in gears 1-3, if it happens in first gear then it jolts back and forth and does the kangaroo dance. Is this a sign the clutch is on its way out or is it normal? Its hard to explain but it only judders once - then it continues accelerating as normal, I'm not sure if the revs are too low, but in previous cars its normally around 1000rpm when the juddering happens

Other issue is around 2000rpm theres a rattle sound coming from the rear of the car, sounds like the exhaust making a rattle. But could be a heatshield or something I guess? I'm going to upgrade the exhaust to a Cobra soon.

http://imgur.com/a/EzANA

Edited by Dudey52

I had the same issue with my exhaust heat shield rattling. Turns out it's had completely dropped away corroded from its mountings. Initially put it back on with the massive washers to cover the gap. Now I've just removed completely, no issues with toasty shopping as yet

Hi guys, first time owner of a 350z here. Bought it about 5 weeks ago. Loving the car so far, just a couple of issues.

Its a 2008 HR with 53000 miles on the clock.

Do these cars not like going below 1500rpm? If I'm slowing down and the revs go below 1500rpm, when I apply the gas a few seconds later it seems to judder a bit? I've never experienced this before in any previous cars. The lower the revs, the worse it gets. If the revs go below 1500rpm then I have to release the clutch and apply more gas then re-enage the clutch otherwise it judders/jolts forward sharply. This is only in gears 1-3, if it happens in first gear then it jolts back and forth and does the kangaroo dance. Is this a sign the clutch is on its way out or is it normal? Its hard to explain but it only judders once - then it continues accelerating as normal, I'm not sure if the revs are too low, but in previous cars its normally around 1000rpm when the juddering happens

Other issue is around 2000rpm theres a rattle sound coming from the rear of the car, sounds like the exhaust making a rattle. But could be a heatshield or something I guess? I'm going to upgrade the exhaust to a Cobra soon.

http://imgur.com/a/EzANA

The juddering might be caused by a gunked up throttle if the car feels like it's about to stall. I had a similar experience where the car was really struggling to rev and was basically impossible to drive. Ended up cleaning the throttle valve and all has been well since.

Just a warning if you clean the throttle. Disconnect the battery before moving the valve. People have managed to burn out the ECU or BCM (I forget which) by moving it while still connected. disconnecting the throttle connections should work too but I think it's more of a faf than just removing the negative from the battery.

I asked Mark at Abbey Motorsport but about this when I had my remap and it's to do with the throttle being electrically 'live' even when the car is completely off. The ECU monitors it and can get fried if you move it while there is still a live circuit.

The HR engine can be quite juddery at lower rpm which an uprev remap will smooth out, its most likely cause will be low oil pressure which is caused by failing oil gallery gaskets. Some HR's more evident than others. Mine was only reading slightly low oil pressure and this was happening. Replaced gallery gaskets sorted the issue ðŸ‘ðŸ¼

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My HR is around 56,000 miles. Had a slight juddering issue in 1-3 gears at low revs but a new exhaust seemed to sort it out....also cured my rattle haha! Think it might have just been coincidence but worth getting a mechanic/small garage you trust to give it a once over health check. Mine had perfect condition front brake discs from the out side but the inside was completely falling away but couldn't be seen without a ramp/jack. Welcome to the club and I'm sure it won't be long until zeditus takes hold.....