What wheels to drift with?

blindbandit

Hi all,

I've got my first drift day booked for November at DWYB in the Z and I'm after some feedback on what wheels people have found are best i.e. Fitment, cost, availability ect🤔

Any help much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stock Rays. Because of the weight and cheap cost of replacement. To break traction, every kilo off the rims counts. So I hear you thinking you should get some ultra light wedssports or something, and I'd say 'sure, but this is your first drift day, aren't you worried about drifting up onto a curb with a 2 grand+ set of wheels', if you've got the money to burn go for the lightest rim you can afford, but stock 18 Rays will also be great, they are light wheels, and you won't cry if you bend or otherwise hurt them.

Disclaimer, I'm not a drifter, though it is in my future plans, this recommendation is simply based on my own assumptions which are based on my extensive experience with fast cars and decent understanding of physics as it applies to cars, though not necessarily drifting. I will certainly be using my stock rays for drifting when I do get around to it.

By the way, Scorpion is spelled incorrectly in your sig. (I'm sorry I can't help it :() ;)

Good luck on your drift day, and remember....

VID OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! :D

the standard GT wheels, they're SO CHEAP, I had 22 of them at one stage as I would pay £100 for 4 with decent tyres. They're also ridiculously strong, I've been into gravel at very high speeds on them, bashed things with them and treated them like crap and never had an issue. The other good thing is that they're all the same width, so you don't have to worry about switching them all around.

seeing as you're doing a dwyb day at I presume santa pod, the tyre guys there may have a set of wheels you can borrow if its your first time, and you're not sure how likely you are to continue. get in contact with the guy and he'll be able to tell you, if its £10 for the loan of some rims for the day, then i'd just go for that.

To break traction, every kilo off the rims counts.

Not unless youve got 55 lb/ft, arguably you dont want to be breaking traction either. The correct answer is the cheapest rims you can find that will fit on your car - sadly standard 200SX rims are a bit small at 16 inch, but standard anything else will do the job handsomely, there are usually some cheapo 17/18's for sale on www.driftworks.com/forum :)

You could hire rims from the tyre guys but Id recommend getting some yourself, they are pretty handy to have around generally :)

I presume this is Nov 2nd day? I'll be there with a few mates, come give me a shout if you see me there. I use the standard Ray's for now, looking to get something a bit flashier with better offset in the future though. Nowt wrong with the Rays though, as people say they're cheap enough for you to no care if you bend them.

To break traction, every kilo off the rims counts.

Not unless youve got 55 lb/ft, arguably you dont want to be breaking traction either. The correct answer is the cheapest rims you can find that will fit on your car - sadly standard 200SX rims are a bit small at 16 inch, but standard anything else will do the job handsomely, there are usually some cheapo 17/18's for sale on www.driftworks.com/forum :)

You could hire rims from the tyre guys but Id recommend getting some yourself, they are pretty handy to have around generally :)

Thanks for putting the OP straight, lighter is always better though. Since they say (anecdotally) that a kilo of rotating unsprung weight is worth 10kg above the springs, I'd think it would be significant even with drifting, still, you're right a few kilos isn't going to make a difference to whether or not a 3.5 can break traction, that was kind of a silly assertion on my part, despite being accurate, I'm sure the difference would be less than negligible, thanks for pointing it out. :)

Edited by Aashenfox

still, you're right

I know :p

This is mainly because I drifted at fairly high level for about 8 years and still know most of the main players in the UK/Euro scene, rear wheel weights have very little impact on a ything :)

No doubt, but lighter IS better. Yeh I've read with interest other topics where you are discussing your drifting, I'm looking forward to taking a dip myself at some point.

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1

Cheers for your advice guys, it's the NOV 16th day at Santa pod. I'll send pm's ref wheels.

I've done quite a few drift days with my old e36 328 but my first in a zed( that said I still suck at getting sideways). To be honest until I get any good I'm after the cheapest option really.

Cheers for your advice guys, it's the NOV 16th day at Santa pod. I'll send pm's ref wheels.

I've done quite a few drift days with my old e36 328 but my first in a zed( that said I still suck at getting sideways). To be honest until I get any good I'm after the cheapest option really.

i think dedication blog and sjb garage will be down on the 16th

Oh crap, that didn't even cross my mind. Well I'll clean them up and sell them on and put the cash to some Rays.

They'll fit on the rears, the fronts will have no wear on them unless you're an absolute boss and are dragging them at massive speed. Leave the road wheels on the fronts and use the 17's as the rears.

• Like 1