First 'affordable' 200mile range EV is here!!

gangzoom

So the first 'affordable' EV is here. GM Bolt. Sub $30k, 238miles of real life range (EPA range ratings is very accurate, my Leaf has a EPA range of 78 miles), 0-60 in 7 seconds, seats 5 adults, deliveries start THIS year!!

http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-ev-rated-238-miles-electric-range/

The price/range ratio of EVs is now getting very close to mass adoption, the end of the combustion engine in sight, I cannot wait to see what Jaguar/BMW have planned too as both have now confirmed to be pushing hard to bring new EVs to market.

hmm, that looks like a perfectly normal car to me... an by that I mean if I saw it driving down the street, it doesn't scream electric vehicle like most of them do. and 200 mile range is plenty, if you've got the means to charge easily on a driveway at home, I see no reason why people wouldn't move out of a small petrol engined Kia/Hyundai/Chevrolet/Dacia and into one of these.

• Like 1

I agree! Makes sense for your boring A-B family wagons to replace with something like this if you live outside of any major city (which is ironic as surely in the city is where you want ownership of these types of cars). They certainly seem to be up there now on distance and starting to come close to cost levels (although Kias and the like are still a fair bit cheaper)

The major issue which no one is taking responsibility for as far as I can see is charge points, there simply is not an infrastructure to charge them unless you have your own driveway. I know we have seen some solutions in Scandinavia of charging 'posts' on the street but the countries are chalk and cheese, they have huge national tax levels of a minimum 50% income tax, whereas here that's literally the maximum. We cannot afford to fix potholes in the roads these cars drive on let alone install 20 million charging posts across the country.

I would also imagine the era of free charging at service stations and the like will soon end as demand increases, the tax taken in VED still needs to be covered when people switch over, as EV becomes more popular there will be a charge made against them. It wont be called VED, something like battery disposal tax or something, but cost of ownership will go up.

So is the era of the combustion engine at an end? I don't think so, not by some distance. It will end at some point but not because a company makes an EV that can do 200 miles on a single charge. Just MHO.

• Like 1

hmm, that looks like a perfectly normal car to me... an by that I mean if I saw it driving down the street, it doesn't scream electric vehicle like most of them do. and 200 mile range is plenty, if you've got the means to charge easily on a driveway at home, I see no reason why people wouldn't move out of a small petrol engined Kia/Hyundai/Chevrolet/Dacia and into one of these.

It's absolutely not exciting to look at, but 95% of the public buy cars that are pratical first. The two questions I get asked the most about the Leaf are How much? And how far on a charge?? At sub $30k the Bolt is getting there on price, and the range is now less of an issue.

Would I buy a Bolt?? Nope, it's not the car for me, just like I wouldn't have bought a Vauxhall Astra. But it shows prices of batteries are falling and other manufacturers are getting involved. The best selling car in the UK has always been the Fiesta/Astra, this is the market EVs have to break into, and the Bolt is getting close.

Finally it may look like a cheap 1.0 hatchback, a 0-60 time of 7 seconds is nothing to be dismissed. In fact add in the instant torque it'll probably beat a 350Z at traffic light GPs once you factor in the driver.

Edited by gangzoom

More importantly, if there's one place in the world that EVs make even less sense than in the UK, it's the US!

As I've said before, it's fine if you live in a city, but America is a biiiiig place and a lot of things aren't remotely close by. Are those people going to get an EV? Ever? Are they heck. If the nearest town is 80mi over then you're simply never going to chance it, not when you've got the AC or heating on with the tunes banging out. EVs make a lot of sense if you live in a city with plenty of charging points, but otherwise it's a no-go in the long term.

I'd like to know the demographics of all the people buying these cars. Are they previously non-car owners? Is it their only car, or an additional one? How many of them live in urban environments, and how many are company cars? Just curious on these, not casting anti-EV aspersions.

There are a few EVs dotted around Richmond, those house owners with a fair bit of wodge to afford one with a drive. They are however always accompanied by a BMW or the like as well. So imagine they are not being relied on as a sole means of transport.

For me they actually are not that great for cities, unless you can charge the things up. Its an absurd concept for somewhere like Richmond if you have no driveway, you would have to drive off out somewhere miles away to go get the car charged, sit with the car whilst it charges, then drive it home. There are three petrol stations within 2 minutes drive of my house. There is currently absolutely no business case for myself or in fact anyone living on our road for buying an EV right now.

Random trips over, cuts their knee, 6 months later you are still paying out the compensation!

Random trips over, pulls cord out of the wall at a funny angle and damages the socket, you sue them for criminal damage and for emotional distress as it was hate crime against electric car lovers, they pay for you electric bill forever.

• Like 1

I don't get the EV hate. They aren't for everyone granted, but I probably would / will get one in the future for commuting. I live close-ish to work and queue the whole way. These aren't conditions the Z likes (Or anything which I replace it with will like). Something like this will be perfect for 1000's of people and it will save the petrol we need for fun driving.

I don't get the EV hate. They aren't for everyone granted, but I probably would / will get one in the future for commuting. I live close-ish to work and queue the whole way. These aren't conditions the Z likes (Or anything which I replace it with will like). Something like this will be perfect for 1000's of people and it will save the petrol we need for fun driving.

Because to some people the idea of change is hard to accept. I'm constantly getting 'tuition' on how to get people to accept change at the work place as I'm now getting into more management roles. Resistance to change is one of the hardest things to deal with in a organisation.

But the reality is the world changes at a rapid pace. The 'norm' today quickly becomes the past. Just look at the world 100 years ago. I'll be amazed if my 5 month old daughter will ever need to drive/sit in a combustion car when gets old enough to drive... Or even if she will need to learn to drive at all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37302722

Edited by gangzoom

Let's not get carried away about EV just yet, its still in its infancy relatively speaking.

There is currently a certain demographic who buy EV and the majority that don't. Every mainstream car brand wants to appeal to every potential customer.

The flip side is of course the fact oil derived products will eventually run dry and manufacturers need to adapt as do we. Is the future EV, to be fair I don't know and neither I suspect do auto makers.

You can't possibly say it's the way of the future but the innovation is to be applauded.

• Like 1