Hello, hello

Hi,

Not owning a 'zed' yet but looking to buy very soon i am after some advice. I am not new to car ownship/tinkering so know my way around an engine so to speak but coming from a coughfrenchcough (not sure what the swearing policy is on this forum so thought i would hide the woulds in cough), background i dont know the in's and outs of the beast.

My first questions, (im sure there will be many more to follow) are ...

What should i be looking out for on the cars', known problem areas etc as i will be buying an earlier model initially?

What things should i definiately get with the car, in terms of worth while optional extras?

Any responces would be great and i look forward to becoming a regular on this forum.

Cheers

Dan

Welcome!

Im only newish round here, and dont really know about issues with the early cars as mine is new.

Though I got a nice PM from a member on here listing all the problems with all brands of car. I'll forward it to you.

:welcome: to the forum and enjoyt

2 main thing to look out for is Clicking Rear Axle and Skipping Bose Head Unit.

Things that are possibly missing that should be there is phone cradle (in the armrest). if your lucky you might get the adpator that goes with it. This is what connects to your phone. Latest ones are bluetooth and come standard from MY06 onwards.

There are only 2 specs. GT and Non GT. Many would argue that a GT is not worth the extra money but it does help massively come re-sell time.

Hi Dan,welcome to the forum. As has been said, the GT spec gives you better resale and includes leather heated seats, cruise control Bose stereo, upgraded wheels and bluetooth. If you want these then fine. If you prefer to save a little money and spend it in mods then go the non gt route.

Roadster is about the same but doesnt have the Bluetooth and is about 40kg heavier than the coupe.

Mods tend to be cosmetic as the ecu compensates and cancels any stated improvements such as pop chargers and exhausts. These, with wheels tend to be the first popular mods.

The bridgestone tyres are also not too popular generally due to a percieved lack of grip in the wet.

Thats your starter bud, enjoy the search :D

JDM should give you a saving with a good choice of spec. Factor into that the waiting time. Seats cost around 400 to cover in leather. Then again if you see something advertised on here with mods you want you will save money. Most people return the cars to spec when selling.

Already modded will save you cash.

Buying a "known " car will give you a certain amount of security.

Guess a lot depends on how much you want to spend and how much you want to mod. :)

:welcome:

Not a lot to add to what others have said, other than look very carefully for accident repairs especially if on Bridgestones as the risk of going in a direction you weren't expcting is higher ;)

As I'm guessing you are looking at used then usual rules apply and as already said budget then import or UK car, don't be put off importing and probably worth checking out importers that others on here have used.

In any event, it is a great fun car, which is just about practical for one and occasionally two, enjoy the hunt and get one, you will love it !