Decat MOT options

ASemper

As I've been...gently guided towards the decat route by several friends there is the obvious MOT to deal with.

Not sure if I should ask but are there any 'friendly' MOT testers near Camberley, GU15, area? Maybe its best to PM me?

If not, do you decat guys swap in your cats once a year?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

assuming you have a jack, axle stands and some spanners, its simply nuts and bolts.

Don't decats throw up a CEL? How do I ensure that the car starts fine everyday (I have a code reader)... but does that mean I need to constantly reset the ECU?

Just swap them back in, it's a 30min job tops.

This must be the joke of the month :lol:

With no ramp and no professional tools, it will be at least 2hrs. It will take you half an hour just to jack the car up and start removing the undertray... If you have some rusty bolts and they start rounding or snapping, it will be more than that.

@Dan, sorry, didn't mean to be rude, just joking. :)

Edited by Adrian@TORQEN
  • Like 8

30 minutes is not realistic.

By the time you jack up the car, and actually figure out what you're looking at, it might be close to 10-15 minutes. Aim for two hours for your first time doing something like this.

There are two awkward nuts (one on each cat) where the cats go up and attach to the manifold. I had to use a ratchet with a knuckle attached to tighten these up. Expect the two nuts on the bottom of each cat where the cat attaches to the y-pipe to be rusted to @*!#, and shear. Make sure you soak all of the nuts and bolts in wd40/plusgas/<insert-rust-penetrator> for some time beforehand (a day/overnight would be ideal).

You may need to use a knuckle/extension bars to sufficiently tighten the pipes back on once you have swapped them out.

You can risk it providing you don't have a CEL, but it's up to you to decide whether or not it's worth your time for a potential re-test fee.

Feel free to PM me if you have any issues or questions surrounding this.

p.s. I'd suggest making sure these bolts/nuts are really tight, maybe use some high-temp thread lock.

Edited by bizizl
  • Like 2

Thanks all :)

My cat to Y pipe studs were rusty lumps and...interesting to remove with my limited tools but I managed it in the end. So I would be happy to swap decats in/out when required, even if it takes more than 30mins for me.

Was mainly seeing if many people did know of friendly testers so I can be lazy :D

Have had a PM anyway, cheers guys!

• Like 1

all for a few bhp LOL

And the extra noise ;)

That's the best bit. B):teeth:

The worse bit......is running lean and engine damage if not mapped :blush:

Decat along with plenum spacer is all i need/want before remap so will have uprev done pretty much as soon as those are on :)

• Like 1

all for a few bhp LOL

And the extra noise ;)

That's the best bit. B):teeth:

The worse bit......is running lean and engine damage if not mapped :blush:

Decat along with plenum spacer is all i need/want before remap so will have uprev done pretty much as soon as those are on :)

Very wise decision. :thumbs:

• Like 1