Poorly Zed

350 Russ

A few weeks back my zeds engine management light came on and the zed only running on 5 cylinders periodically. It would only happen briefly. I took it to Japex and they plugged it into their computer which gave the reading of a previous fault on a coil pack/spark plug. Fault was cleared and all good until now.

The lights back on and she's running on 5 again but not all the time. Im thinking order a new set of coil packs and change them as the spark plugs are about 4 years and 10,000 miles old so should be ok?

I tried to take a video of how its running but it didnt come out very well.

The problem with trying to find the duff one is that it isn't all the time. i went for a drive earlier with the aim of waiting until it goes again then unplug each coil pack until the engine note doesn't change. But I drive around for 45 mins with a problem then it went, by then the engine is red hot and you can only get to 3 of them as 3 are under the air intake. I have a spare I bought from eBay as a guaranteed working and tested one but its just finding the problematic one first

So just been out in it again, I took all the bolts out holding the coil packs on the driver side bank hoping that when it goes again i can just pull them out of their tubes one by one to find the culprit.

BLOODY RUNNING GREAT AGAIN!!!!! but the dash is still lit up!!!!

:angry: :angry: :angry::rant: :rant: :rant::bang: :bang: :bang:

• 2 weeks later...

Right so just to keep this thread put to date incase it helps someone in the future. Ive purchased aN OBDII reader for JDM cars and read the fault which reads as P0350 Ignition signal primary. Also i have a whistling noise coming through the stereo which is saying to me there is a bad earth, after doing some research I'm going to check the earth that bolts to the front of the timing cover under the engine cover. Ill post back with results.

• 1 month later...

Subscribing, as I have the exact same problem at the moment.

Always notice it happens when the car is hot.

If I turn the engine off/on when warm it'll usually do it until I get to about 1.5K rpm, then just magically fire back up to 6...

How did you get on bud?

Right so just to keep this thread put to date incase it helps someone in the future. Ive purchased aN OBDII reader for JDM cars and read the fault which reads as P0350 Ignition signal primary. Also i have a whistling noise coming through the stereo which is saying to me there is a bad earth, after doing some research I'm going to check the earth that bolts to the front of the timing cover under the engine cover. Ill post back with results.

Think the zed has an alternator suppressor which can causs that symptom with the radio if it fails.

I still say its a coil pack breaking down when its being put under load.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

If I turn the engine off/on when warm it'll usually do it until I get to about 1.5K rpm, then just magically fire back up to 6...

How did you get on bud?

I changed all the coil packs in the end, it seems to have sorted it for now but that's only me testing it by letting it tick over on the driveway as the MOT has expired now.

How did you get on bud?

The code readers struggle to spot the ropey coil.

If it's running badly when hot you can spot the bad coil by cooling them down in turn - when you cool the right (wrong) coil your engine note should improve. Saves the expense of replacing all the coils

(Disclaimer : I'm not a mechanic so don't know if it's the correct thing to do, just going on what worked for me).

If its not obvious, I usually remove each spark plug in turn. You can usually tell which coil pack is faulty, as the corresponding plug will still be wet with fuel indicating that particular cylinder has not fired.

Did the code not confirm the affected cyclinder when it threw the eml?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

How did you get on bud?

The code readers struggle to spot the ropey coil.

If it's running badly when hot you can spot the bad coil by cooling them down in turn - when you cool the right (wrong) coil your engine note should improve. Saves the expense of replacing all the coils

(Disclaimer : I'm not a mechanic so don't know if it's the correct thing to do, just going on what worked for me).

How did you get on bud?

I changed all the coil packs in the end, it seems to have sorted it for now but that's only me testing it by letting it tick over on the driveway as the MOT has expired now.

Thanks for the help and advice gents.

So I went for a bit of an experimentation run with the Z over the last week.

Various speeds, operating temps, etc.

The only consistent way of causing the misfire and EM to throw a wobbly is excessive heat, nothing near dangerous levels, but I noticed that it tends to happen more when sat in traffic, low speeds, etc.

Anyway, Friday evening, driving home from work, in traffic; Throws a wobbly, 5 Cylinders, etc...

Turn heaters to max, after about 2 mins she's fine the entire way back...

At a guess, insulators in the coil pack have had a harsh life and are giving up a little easier when the engine is hot. Although I can't locate the malfunctioning coilpack as of yet I'll report back to you gents as and when I manage to fix it.

Thanks again for the advice gents.

Beefy

• 2 weeks later...

A few weeks back my zeds engine management light came on and the zed only running on 5 cylinders periodically. It would only happen briefly. I took it to Japex and they plugged it into their computer which gave the reading of a previous fault on a coil pack/spark plug. Fault was cleared and all good until now.

The lights back on and she's running on 5 again but not all the time. Im thinking order a new set of coil packs and change them as the spark plugs are about 4 years and 10,000 miles old so should be ok?

Never assume that, I recently had UpRev done @ Abbey and changed 10,000 mile spark plug just before the remap just because. When I had showed Mark, he said they looked OK, when I told him they had only done 10,000 miles the look on he's face was of disbelief.

What Rob332 said, if it runs on 5 again. Leave it run a while and then check your plugs. All should be revealed.

Fresh MOT and out for a blast is good news.

TBH, I would not recommend running too long, otherwise it will cause bore wash, then you've gone from £100 jobbie to new engine.

Edited by Lewis_UK

At a guess, insulators in the coil pack have had a harsh life and are giving up a little easier when the engine is hot. Although I can't locate the malfunctioning coilpack as of yet I'll report back to you gents as and when I manage to fix it.

Thanks again for the advice gents.

Beefy

If you want to identify the hot failing coil then get a can of freezer spray and keep it in the car. When you get the intermittent hot mis-fire you can jump out and spray the tops of the coils in turn.

Honestly it's like magic. When you hit the bad coil the engine runs silkily - for a bit, till it heats up again and starts banging. Give it another spray, it goes all smooth again. There's your culprit.

£6 fix.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Evening gents,

Just a quick update, after finally getting frustrated with the intermittent 5 Cylinders and TCS light coming on, I decided to check the resistance between plenum and neg of battery (As some posts have mentioned in other forums) anyway, read at about 1.5 Ohms, nothing out of normal range...

So just purchased some Splitfire coilpacks from RHDJapan, to see if it makes any difference (Buying a set of used CP's would trigger my autism).

Will report back to you gents as and when.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello gents.

So I managed to fix the problem.

It's coil packs. I switched out for a set of split fires and now is running perfectly.

Another quick fix I would recommend is if it happens during a long drive, heaters on max, footwell ideally as it's the least restrictive setting for heaters stopped the miss fire, I'm guessing an old coil pack (mine are on 92K now) getting too hot was the cause.

Only done about 10 or so miles so far, but car feels a lot better and is pulling 20% more mpg...

Kind regards,

Beef

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk