Attack in Nice, France :(

Shocking to see this morning, equally bizarre to open the BBC app on my phone and find a member of the public caught up in it all speaking to the BBC about it, its a friend of mine from when I lived in France! Had to drop him a message straight after. Sick though, clearly no place for religion in something like that, no god or imaginary being or whatever would want that.

Sickening and words fail me :(

Parents are currently doing a med cruise and landed in Cannes this morning, and the day trip was to go along the promenade from Cannes to Nice. Going on the same promenade as this attack!

Just hand a phone call to say all was fine and are obviously not allowed to disembark staying out at sea today instead. Folks have really not had much luck of late and trust them to be in the general area of trouble.

We have family friends living in a seafront apartment around a mile across the bay. They could see and hear everything! Absolutely shocking!

My gf expressed severe concerns before we travelled to Turkey (Antalya) for week last week, due to recent attacks... I remember telling her that we are not safe anywhere. This attack just proves my point even more. In some respects, we might even be safer in a Muslim country than we are in western Europe! Important thing is to not allow these a55holes to rule our lives with fear.

My thoughts are prayers genuinely are with those affected by this atrocity, however these attacks will never prevent me from travelling wherever I want to whenever I want to. If an attack happens, and I get caught up in it, so be it.

We have family friends living in a seafront apartment around a mile across the bay. They could see and hear everything! Absolutely shocking!

My gf expressed severe concerns before we travelled to Turkey (Antalya) for week last week, due to recent attacks... I remember telling her that we are not safe anywhere. This attack just proves my point even more. In some respects, we might even be safer in a Muslim country than we are in western Europe! Important thing is to not allow these a55holes to rule our lives with fear.

My thoughts are prayers genuinely are with those affected by this atrocity, however these attacks will never prevent me from travelling wherever I want to whenever I want to. If an attack happens, and I get caught up in it, so be it.

How did you like Antalya? I'd like to go and chill out there when I can.

I can see there being a 9th Crusade eventually but it'll be too late.

Who are you going to crusade against though? Apart from a few pockets in Syria and Iraq it's almost impossible to identify ISIS (Or any other terrorist who uses Islam as a reason to commit violent acts).

Unless you are holding an entire country / race / religion responsible for these acts?

How did you like Antalya? I'd like to go and chill out there when I can.

#

Okay, well it's off-topic, but briefly summarized:

- Fantastic consistent weather (40 degrees) - comfortable as low-to-no humidity + breeze

- Plenty of fake goods to buy and always fun to barter

- Good historical landmarks/locations + beautiful scenic nature

- Great beaches + activities (as touristic area)

In some respects, we might even be safer in a Muslim country than we are in western Europe!

Ask the 250 people killed in Baghdad the other week... :(

Fair comment, but if you look at the attacks in Western Europe:

Paris Attack - 130 dead (368 injured)

Nice Attack - 84+ dead (will rise and 100+ injured)

London Attacks - 56 dead (700 injured)

to name a few of the larger ones... you could say as long as you avoid large crowds, you'll be fine.

Fact is, it doesn't matter where we go, we are never truly safe. Therefore, what point is there to being scared or letting these mindless ****s dictate where or what we do with our lives?

it's almost impossible to identify ISIS

Sorry to say but thats inaccurate, they know who they are on the most part, but we are bound by rules of engagement and they know that.

All the attacks on French soil have been committed by known terrorists that are on the radar with intelligence agencies/police etc, and have often been previously prosecuted and or questioned, but again we are powerless do anything, probably because its against their human rights, rather bizarrely.

Edited by Jetpilot