BMW 220d M sport vs BMW 420d M sport - Company car

Mikevv

Company car - BMW 220d M sport vs BMW 420d M sport  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather drive?

• BMW 220d M sport coupe - 8 Speed auto - £391p/m base or £473 optioned up
    • BMW 420d M sport coupe - 8 Speed auto - £317p/m base or £387 optioned up

Hi guys, I'm weighing up the two cars mentioned above for a company car ( there is no changing it, it is one or the other )

I just figured I'd get some opinions on which you'd rather have.

I'm leaning towards the 220d cause I think its a better looking and "younger person" car

The 420d is probably a better motorway muncher and for the more mature person - like the e92 coupe was.

The spec for the 220d is as follows

Black sapphire paint - £550 - Can be substituted for red, or removed and use white for £550 saving

Standard wheels - no options :(

Leather interior - Black or White - £800

Piano black trim - Free

Sun protection pack - £315

Rear M spoiler - £150

Through loading seats - £175

Heated seats - £295

Front and rear parking sensors - £295

Base price £31,245 + £550 paint = £391,38 a month

Rough total £33,965 = £472,98 a month.

The spec for the 420d is as follows

Black sapphire paint - £645 - Can be substituted for red, or removed and use white for £550 saving

19" 442M style wheels - £670

Leather interior - Black or White - FREE :D

Trim - Ash grain £260 or Piano black for £375

Sun protection pack - £265

Through loading seats - £170

Heated seats - Free

Front and rear parking sensors - Free

Base price £36,990 + £645 paint = £316.61 a month cost

Rough total £39,310 = £386.21 a month cost with extras

Both of these cars were done today at BMW Salisbury - based on 10k miles per year, and only a 2 year lease INCLUDING maintenance ( tyres, everything! ) for some reason a 3 year lease was more expensive.... good for us, new car sooner :D

For comparisons sake, my dads 430d xdrive auto with 15k miles and 3 year lease with maintenance runs around £620 a month.

So my question is after all the money, which would you have?

As I said, I prefer the 2 series, but at nearly £100 a month more it's not that sweet of a deal!

I'd go 420d M Sport, it's a more quality product as the 2 series shares it's interior with the 1 and the 3/4 is a nicer place to be. 4 also has better standard M Sport spec, main one being pro nav with the bigger screen and more features comes as standard on a 4.

The B47 engine is great, 190ps it pulls hard and revs higher then the older N47 engine. M Sport suspension is good, even on run flats. Much better ride then an S Line Audi. The 4 on run flats is smoother and more refined then my old E92 320d M sport on non run flats.

Edited by un1eash

Are you talking leasing or finance? When I was looking at the 420d m sport they were coming in at around £225/month with 6 months up front

Personally I would go for the 4 over the 2- can't get on with the rear of the 2 series

In the end I went for a Lexus RC for a good bit more but quote happy with the rarity of it and (in my opinion) better looking

If you are leasing have a look at this site

www.contracthireandleasing.com

For 10,000 miles per year I'd get a petrol, and probably a Golf R for that much per month

Really dislike FWD cars, and the Golf I know is AWD but personally don't like them :S

I was thinking of checking a 428i instead, still a 2 litre but petrol and a bit more power - almost as quick as a zed to 60 too :)

The cheapest one. Either is a common or garden diesel, and I'd be dumping the M Sport stuff if it means the rock hard suspension.

The 4 with M sport suspension is still softer than a standard 350z, so it's fine for me, I like the rough ride

M sport is a must, makes a vast improvement to the interior and exterior

• Like 1

Are you talking leasing or finance? When I was looking at the 420d m sport they were coming in at around £225/month with 6 months up front

Personally I would go for the 4 over the 2- can't get on with the rear of the 2 series

In the end I went for a Lexus RC for a good bit more but quote happy with the rarity of it and (in my opinion) better looking

If you are leasing have a look at this site

www.contracthireandleasing.com

It's gonna be a lease, don't intend to keep the cars long which is a perk of leasing - is that £225 for leasing under similar conditions or under finance?

I quite like the 2 overall, especially in black or red - Not sure on white, comes across as a bit feminine ?

Not really a fan of Lexus tbh, don't like their design language :S

I checked the link, the prices seem higher than what I was quoted, and thats before I add options to the car.

I thought you were saving for a mustang :)

I'm moving jobs - better wages even once the added taxes of the company car etc are taken into account, so yes I am still saving for a newer car :)

As for the mustang, not too sure, have another drive in it soon so that I can compare it to the E92 M3 I drove.

I realise they are different animals, but when it's a difference of at least £10k, I'd be a fool not to try "the best drivers car"

Even if I then use the "saved" £10k on maintenance bubbles and extra's.

Either way, neither will be happening for a fair while, but I like to line my ducks up in a row :)

Edited by Mikevv

£400-500/month seems like an awful lot to throw away on a generic diesel barge. If your saving for soemthing nicer/you reallg want wouldn't it make more sense to see if you can drop the company car for a higher take home pay?

Save £500/month and in 2 years your have £12k in the pocket.

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 2

£400-500/month seems like an awful lot to throw away on a generic diesel barge. If your saving for soemthing nicer/you reallg want wouldn't it make more sense to see if you can drop the company car for a higher take home pay?

I don't mean to come across as cocky, but I don't pay for it so I don't really care, my only cost would be the BIK.

We looked into buying my own shitbox ( translate to boring diesel commute-mobile ) and the costs don't add up.

I won't lie, I'm pretty in the dark with this, and just following what my accountant has told me and doing the sums myself, this seems like the best option.

My other half has just got a 218i in alpine white, I convinced her to get a 218i over a 118i - I actually think there's more space in the rear seats of a 2 in terms of legroom. It's quite a nice car. She could have had a 235i for 1/3 more per month though :p

My other half has just got a 218i in alpine white, I convinced her to get a 218i over a 118i - I actually think there's more space in the rear seats of a 2 in terms of legroom. It's quite a nice car. She could have had a 235i for 1/3 more per month though :p

If anyone offered me a 1 series, things would get very uncomfortable - Useless f-ing ugly bastardized shoe cars, had one for 2 weeks and it was terrible.

I like the white, but I worry its a bit feminine, and looks like a toy car haha - But I definitely didn't know the 235 would be that "affordable" but I will be going to get a few quotes on the 2 and 4 on Monday again.

Have to look into higher spec ones, might give me a better monthly deal, seeing as the 5 4 3 and 2 all had the same P11D values, but only the 5 and 4 were affordable, whereas the 3 and 2 had the same price.

I don't mean to come across as cocky, but I don't pay for it so I don't really care, my only cost would be the BIK.

We looked into buying my own shitbox ( translate to boring diesel commute-mobile ) and the costs don't add up.

I won't lie, I'm pretty in the dark with this, and just following what my accountant has told me and doing the sums myself, this seems like the best option.

Someone is paying for it, from what I know about company cars most employers will allow you to give up the company car 'perk' in exchange for a higher gross salary. May not be what you want to do, but I know of a few family friends who gave up their company cars pretty quickly after doing the sums in regards to getting extra £ in their pay packet instead.

Worth asking your employer at the very least.

Im currently looking to get a business lease car as well and both of your choices were in the cars I was considering, on a 24 month contract.

Ide personally go with the 2 series M sport as imo they are better looking and have a 'younger' feel. Im nearly 25 and thought the 4 series was more of a 'cool dads car', although still desirable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well guys, it's back to square one, trying to work out a more sensible but fun car.

Looking into the figures with the accountant soon, considering a cash payment instead and upgrading/using the 350z haha

Edited by Mikevv
  • Like 1

Well guys, it's back to square one, trying to work out a more sensible but fun car.

Looking into the figures with the accountant soon, considering a cash payment instead and upgrading/using the 350z haha

When given the choice between cash in the pocket or a 2 litre diesel surely there is only one choice :).