stock 350z wheel snaps clean off !!!

russyb

holy moly. chrome isn't something i'd do to the wheels myself but it seems most people blame it for weakening them. Never would have thought such a cosmetic process would do that

Isn't this a GT4 alloy specific problem?

I'm sure I've read somewhere that you should never get the GT4 alloys powder coated as that can lead to the same problem. E.g. Alloys sheering off.

Possibly down to the high temperatures involved with the process of powder coating.

I've said this on numerous threads, the GT4 wheel fall to pieces after having heat related treatments performed on them. And each time people continue to pop up to say how theirs have been done and haven't broken (yet) so its not true. I guess once this starts killing people in crashes, owners may decide to listen.

I've said this on numerous threads, the GT4 wheel fall to pieces after having heat related treatments performed on them. And each time people continue to pop up to say how theirs have been done and haven't broken (yet) so its not true. I guess once this starts killing people in crashes, owners may decide to listen.

:lol:

I believe you. :wave:

From what I've read it's to do with the heat treatment process which because of the high temperature involved with powder coating it effects the aluminium alloy and makes it more brittle & prone to cracking.

Thanks GM :lol:

I don't know much about metals so don't understand why the GT4 wheel is so affected but considering the ratio of GT4 to standard wheel that are out there, this is happening an awful lot. I'd be surprised if there are any GT4 wheels left in a year or two

Thanks GM :lol:

I don't know much about metals so don't understand why the GT4 wheel is so affected but considering the ratio of GT4 to standard wheel that are out there, this is happening an awful lot. I'd be surprised if there are any GT4 wheels left in a year or two

i Wonder if it has something to do with how they are concaved?

Check out this pinned thread:

http://www.350z-uk.c...roming-warning/

In particular see link in post 10 - but also Zmanalex points out in that thread if the powder coating (heat process) is done correctly, and noting he has used PC GT4 rims on track, then rim failures can be avoided.

Sadly it seems that all too often the work has been done by those not skilled enough to know what they are doing......

• Like 1

Chrome plating involves some very toxic and corrosive material, Hydrochloric Acid and the much dreaded Hydrogen Flouride amongst other things. When I had my scooter I had several bits chrome plated by a company in Stockport and from memory the process of dipping them into a warm electrolytic bath took several days. Should only be done on non weight bearing material IMHO.

Pete

Check out this pinned thread:

http://www.350z-uk.c...roming-warning/

In particular see link in post 10 - but also Zmanalex points out in that thread if the powder coating (heat process) is done correctly, and noting he has used PC GT4 rims on track, then rim failures can be avoided.

Sadly it seems that all too often the work has been done by those not skilled enough to know what they are doing......

Exactly, probably 1000's and 1000's of gt4 alloys out there that have been powdercoated (most likely powdercoated as oem) in perfect condition, nothing like a bit of internet hysteria to get fingers typing.

I agree with Jetset though, chroming is a harsh process due to the varying acids.

Edited by Jetpilot