Sonic boom over yorkshire

jowen7448

When I first moved out to Wales, early 60's, Sonic booms were not that uncommon. Jets from R.A.F Valley would break the barrier over the area we now call the Evo Triangle and The Clwydian Hills. I think they stopped going supersonic 1963/64. Up until the 90's you could see Tornados flying subsonic at low level over much of the lesser populated areas of North Wales, but its less common to see any RAF activity nowadays.

Pete

We live in the southern part of Tactical Training Area T7 and are subject to regular low level (100ft) passes by Tornado,Typhoons, C130 Hercules and F-15 Grim Reapers from Lakenheath.

Always crap yerself when they catch you unawares!!

• Like 2

That sounds just about the most wonderful to live I can think of. And I genuinely mean that.

Most of the action appears to be on the A487 from Dolgellau to Machynlleth. This is part of the "Mach Loop" where you can get a vantage point above the incoming jets as they fly down the valley...... We just seem to get the tailenders!

That sounds just about the most wonderful to live I can think of. And I genuinely mean that.

Where I used to live in Cape Town, I was about 1km (in a straight line) from our local race track..... gotten woken up by the v8 racing every Saturday morning :D

Where I used to live in Cape Town, I was about 1km (in a straight line) from our local race track..... gotten woken up by the v8 racing every Saturday morning :D

That sounds pretty awesome :)

• Like 1

Most of the action appears to be on the A487 from Dolgellau to Machynlleth. This is part of the "Mach Loop" where you can get a vantage point above the incoming jets as they fly down the valley...... We just seem to get the tailenders!

I remember this... walking on Cadair Idris and seeing jets and a full blown Hercules flying along the Valley below you rates as one of the coolest things I've seen :)

I had something similar a couple of times in the lake district. I am by no means a plane spotter so no idea what they were, but sat at the top of Wansfell (I think) watching planes fly low through the valley below was definitely a memorable experience.

My late Dad was in the RAF and I as a kid he took me to a lot of air-shows. There's not much that compares to the sound of a jet engine on full power. In later years I lived in Teddington which was under the Concorde take off route - that thing was so loud it used to set car alarms off. I loved it! :)

Edited by sipar69

We get the chinook helicopters and the huge cargo planes (Hercules?) going over our boat mooring so low you can see the crew in them. I swear they follow the motorway because you see them turn and follow it!

Also get the trainer jets come over too. It always gives me a feeling of security to see them all for some reason.

• Like 1