Resonated vs non resonated

Dave6188

Buying an exhaust shortly and wanted to know if a non resonated system is ridiculously loud ? I would like a little more sound than standard and do NOT want it to drone, any help appreciated. Was thinking of Injen or Cobra as I like the style of tips they use.

Depends on what cats you run as well, if you're going decat then a non-res exhaust IS GOING TO BE QUITE LOUD INDEED, but if you're sticking with cats (and I would) then the non-res is the one to go for with a bit of extra tone.

Cobra or Scorpion would be my choices at that price level. :)

• Like 1

I will be sticking with standard Cats, car is used as my daily drive so don't want a stupidly loud exhaust just something that sounds nice when you nail it, tempted by the Cobra resonated to be honest but have been told on 2 separate occasions it drones/booms on the motorway which is what I don't want ! Wanted to find out if non resonated system still drones/booms.

Hopefully this might help you all out.

Cruise control set to 70mph on motorway cobra cat back, cobra y pipes, cobra HFC's resonated system video.

A bit long but if you want to hear a bit of what its like on throttle go to 2 min 20 secs or thereabouts.

When motorway cruising its mainly road noise you hear, I dont hear any droning that some seam to have.

Edited by Bigjimg

I have standard cats, Cobra Y pipe & resonated exhaust. There is a good sound to it when you put ypor foot down, but not too raspy. IMO you will have a slight drone with whichever aftermarket exhaust you go for. I personally find the "drone" wih the set up I have bareable. Isn't too bad, but when I put my foot down, it does put a smile on my face :-). Purchased from Cougar Store, highly recommended. Good luck with your search!

Edited by iwanprice12
  • Like 2

Ok just had a look at a Cobra catback on Google and noticed on the backbox it has clamps holding the pipes and tips on !!! Can you see these when it's fitted to the car and do the newer Cobra systems come completely welded instead of clamped ? Clamps look dreadful

I was just about to post a similar topic - I'm glad this thread is here.

I too am considering a cobra, currently running a japspeed k1 exhaust with baffles in as a daily. With baffles I do like the sound, without its just too loud. To be fair with them in its still too loud but bare able.

I don't do many miles nor travel on the motorway often. Iv been considering a non resonated as I like the rasp and enjoy the odd pop and bang.

What I don't like is the look of my exhaust with baffles. Iv painted them black to hide them a little. Also aftermarket so no sticking out inner tube.

I don't like the 4.5 in pipes either, just a bit too big. If I can fit my fist up it its too big (first time iv had to say that) :p

Also considering a true dual as I like the symmetric look although not the japspeed one and others are out of budget realistically, unless I get a forum find.

Technically resonated will give a deeper sound and unresonated will give a louder sound, seen videos of both popping & banging but you don't get rasp with resonated as far as I'm aware. Just bought a resonated Cobra Y-pipe back so will let you know when it's delivered and fitted.

On a different note should I reset the ECU after fitting the exhaust and HKS drop in filters ?

Cobra resonated on my 370ZN with berk cats. Was nicely balanced pre berk on its own but with the hi flow cats it's mental. Defo too loud for some but it sounds absolutely brutal, pops and bangs on up and downshifts etc. Drone is there at 70mph but that's the payoff.

Mine's similar with a silenced Motordyne Y pipe as well as the Cobra res & Berks HFCs; sounds amazing and gets lots of approving comments.

I trialled putting the stock cats back on; I missed the addictive raspy snarl and had to recalibrate my senses. I enjoyed the less in-your-face and more more subtle yet still pleasing sound for a couple of weeks but I missed the excitement and captivating sounds of the HFC as well as the slight but noticeable extra power / torque / throttle response that the Berks free up - so they're back on now!

Edited by Oversteer

Buying an exhaust shortly and wanted to know if a non resonated system is ridiculously loud ? I would like a little more sound than standard and do NOT want it to drone, any help appreciated. Was thinking of Injen or Cobra as I like the style of tips they use.

I'd recommend resonated if you want a little more than standard. Saying that, I have the Cobra resonated and it's about 35% more noise than standard (sounds great) , with some drone when labouring (going up a long hill in 6th or 5th). And that's in a roadster, I'm sure it has to be louder in the coupe. Dropping a gear helps.

The only non-resonated I've experienced is in an ST, and my ears bled. It was wholly intollerable. Motorway driving would have definitely given me a migraine.

Edited by Juggalo
  • Like 1

Well eventually got around to fitting the resonated Cobra, I am impressed with the sound especially at wide open throttle it's sounds great, as it comes back down the revs it pops & bangs but not ridiculously loud. Build quality is good.

Only complaint would be the drone accelerating from 60-70mph it echoes around the cabin, sounds awful, found if I popped the window down a couple of inches it helped.

Overall happy but thought the clamps looked a bit naff so I TIG welded the arms & tips on at work after a quick test fit to get position right.

• Like 1