With that much mileage? Why?

Rook

Is a question asked to me when talking about modifying my 108k Z.

In your opinions, when does a car go past the point at which it's worth modding?

For me, with the exception of forced induction, I don't think there is one really. I plan on lowering, changing my exhaust - soon - and hopefully putting some 19" Rotas on at some point. The whole time the car's running it's money well spent IMO!

I wouldn't turbocharge my engine now - all that money on new pistons etc on an engine that's aged in all minor of other ways seems a bit daft, but if I were gunna spend the kinda money it takes to turbocharge I'd probably be able to chop my Z in for a younger one anyway...

The engine is either in good shape or not, if its ok then no reason not to make a few upgrades its not like the increase with have a dramatic effect, if the engine isnt in good shape then tuning is the least of your problems

For all those old enough to remember the year 1999 turning to the year 2000 and all this y2k compliant. lol Things were destined to self destruct, computers were going haywire, whole co-orporations were going to fail......did this happen....er no.

I would go on condition not mileage.

Time will tell how 350z engines hold up to high mileage, but "modern" engines with better materials and tolerances keep going much longer than "old" engines. My last car was 170k when I took it to 380bhp, I opened the engine to fit forged rods and there were still hone marks in the bores, bearings were all fine.

On the other hand you can pull apart an engine with 60k that has had 1 oil change is a completely sludged and worn out, bearings worn through etc.

Rust is a good point...

Mine too is at least half motorway mileage, seems to have been well maintained up to this point.

Who knows, maybe I will just turbocharge it haha.

I agree though, mostly, if a car works I don't know why you wouldn't mod it - particularly simple stuff - just because it had some mileage on it. Was just curious to see if that was a *thing*, that people actually think like that.

My worry is more body rust, you see a lot of rusty s14s, skylines etc.

350's arent immune, ive seen a 2005 plate with serious rust

Get a seaside car and any car will struggle

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

350's arent immune, ive seen a 2005 plate with serious rust

Yeah a couple of the 350s I looked at up here had a good dose of lurgy bubbling under the paintwork, PITA when the seller says no rust on the phone.

Nissan dont seem that great at corrosion resistance, so I would forsee lots of rusty 350s in the future, also as they are "cheap" lots of cheap hack fixes leading to later problems.