Can I change my own brake discs and pads?

Rook

Hey,

General question about what I'm letting myself in for rather than a technical Q...

I'm pretty handy, have done odd bits of work to the car myself and I'm confident working my way round.

Yesterday offside rear hub has started making some really rather unattractive noises, scraping under braking, then intermittent scrape sounds when moving along. My disc looks pretty well worn (not sure how this didn't come up in the MOT I had a month ago...) and it's the same the other side, so it looks like they're gunna need changing.

Without going into too much detail - I've never faffed around with brakes before, so my questions are really:

1. Is it safe for someone with just some experience and common sense to change the discs and pads?

2. My car has 110,000 miles on the clock and is a youthful 9 years old - are there any complications I'm likely to run into as a result of its age? With my exhaust for example it was simply the case that I had no means of detaching the bloody thing from the Y-pipe.

3. Is it difficult or just time consuming? Do I need a second set of hands? Any tips?

I'd like to do it myself because i enjoy it but I also like being alive and having a working car so....

• Like 1

Should be fine! done mine myself, used basic tools, mine had 118k on the clock. its pretty straight forward.

Bleed nipples might be a bit rusted so be careful when bleeding the brakes after if you need to! Make sure you got a G clamp handy so you can wind the plunger back in

Edited by -Bradders-

Search and look for the 'how' to posts, see if you can do it.

Just have the correct tools for the job ! (and maybe a spare bolt/nut or two - for just-in-case)

That's really it.

Bonus bits:

Torque wrench (best to do this, or too loose or tight WILL cause problems at some point)

Plus Gas (spray the bolts/nuts with this, leave for 10-15 mins)

Grip sockets for any rounded bolts/nuts (like these http://www.ebay.co.u...DsAAOSwI-BWKoxY )

Decent 6 sided sockets

Like they all said ^ up there,yes, it's not a difficult job, I did all mine on my own on my driveway with axle stands and basic tools. Some of the bolts are a bit errr 'tight' to say the least but do come off eventually using basic leverage methods. I could do it in a day's work I reckon and I'm dead slow. Most of the time was taken jacking and wheel removing/replacing. :teeth:

Pretty straight forward job as long as you take care with what you are doing. You should not need to bleed the system as you should not have to disconnect any brake pipes. From your post though, it sounds like you are changing the discs and pads on the rear. I would advise you read up on the procedure to adjust the handbrake shoes as they will probably need de adjusting to get the discs off, then re adjusting with the new discs fitted. Once you have done the brakes yourself for the first time you will probably never want to pay anyone else to do it again. This is a helpful forum so if you have any problems members are always around to help :thumbs:

As others have said, it is a fairly simple job as long as you are careful and sensible. I did mine last year just before I went for a service, so I got the garage to check everything and bleed the brakes etc. But I probably saved at least £150 in labour doing it myself.

Hi Rook I did the same job last year new brakes & discs all round ,think Nissan were asking £1200 to £1500 for doing it , I've worked on cars & racebikes for years so thought I'd give it a go , but was shocked at how easy it was , from memory once the clippers where off the discs just lift away from the hubs , and while the calliper pistons are pushed out give them a squirt with some brake cleaner spray .

Btw you'll def need a torque wrench for leverage to get them off & setting the bolts to the proper torque setting .

the front is 113-114 ft-lbs

the rear is 53-71 ft-lbs. if you're experienced & have decent tool kit you'll be fine , and remember the brembo calipers if you have them have two bleed nipples per calipers . Good luck ,Paul .

Thanks for the comments.

I'm still feeling a little over-confident at the moment. Need to re-read the guide and probably pick up a few extra tools this weekend, but I'm gunna have a crack at it, I think!

Speaking of which, Ewen at Clark's given me a great price, I just forgot to pay, so must do so in the morning!

Got round to this today!

Left myself 6 hours (you never know) but finished in less than 2.

The hardest part by far is getting the bloody calipers free, those two bolts... Surprisingly they weren't as bad as I expected, but I've had some bad bolt experiences lately and have come to expect them to break, strip or just do absolutely nothing, but none of those were the case here - a breaker bar and my right leg were plenty sufficient.

I'll be doing the fronts myself too - I definitely recommend people who think they're up for it having a go.

• Like 1