iPhone 6 or 6s?

nixy

I am just deciding whether to get a 6 or 6s. However, to put this into context, I'm not the type that needs the 'latest' phone, if I was I'd wait for the iPhone 99! I am still using an iPhone 4 and wouldn't bother changing if I had one with a bigger memory but it's now become less compatible with my more up to date ipad and I have no storage left - particularly as I use it for spotify in the car. I can get a 64gb iphone 6 or a 16gb iphone 6s for the same monthly fee. I don't want to pay extra for a bigger iphone 6s. I'm not bothered about taking videos either which I understand is a big upgrade. Is there really a great deal of difference? Would appreciate advice.

Depends on what you're storing and if you live somewhere where cloud storage is a simple, always available thing. If you can access the cloud all the time then there's little point having your phone full of photos and music and other media, because you can stream all that stuff. However, if you need local storage as your connectivity is gash, get the big storage one.

The 6 is plenty fast enough and if you "don't need the latest one", get the big storage one as that seems to be the only real requirement in the original post, i.e. "more memory".

The only real difference between them is the camera.

The rest is all gimmiky stuff like Live Photo, and force touch.

Performance wise they are on par, and in fact the 6 has a better battery life than the 6s (on apples own website)

App's are getting bigger by the day and the higher mega pixel camera means your photos are gonna take up more space than before, IMHO 16gb just doesn't cut it any more.

I have a 32gb iphone 6 with 15gb of offline spotify music on it, and 10gb of photots / videos and just the main apps that i need. As long as i offload my Camera roll to the computer once a year 32gb is enough.

I would go for the 64gb Iphone 6, it's a very capable phone and will be good for another 3 years at least.

Having 64gb is gonna save you a ton of agro when it comes to data management.

• Like 1

I've never really got to grips with bloody iCloud in terms of having 'stuff' like photos etc in there instead of on the phone.

Icloud would also be another option, but it's costly.

your icloud account is what you use for everything 'Apple' (download apps, buy from Itunes etc etc)

With it, you get 5gb of free icloud storage.

In Icloud setting on the phone I turn on, settings, Contacts, messages, notes, reminders, calendar. i also turn on 'find my iphone' so that if i loose my phone, I can login to icloud.com ans track it down.

But as soon as you turn on Photo's you're most likely gonna need to upgrade to one of their monthly plans for more storage, but the benefit is your photo's/videos (and all the other stuff mentioned above) are all safe online so you save space on your device and even if you loose your phone you still have them all safe. Then if you buy another iphone you can login with your i cloud account on that device, and all your 'stuff' is back as it was before.

The alternative free option is to back up your iphone to the Itunes program on your computer every month or so. And offload your photo's / videos's to your computer every now and then aswell (like once a year). This free's up space on your device aswell, and all your 'stuff' is safe (as long as your computer doesn't pack in). When you get a new Iphone you plug it into your computer and itunes will restore all your 'stuff' the way it was before.

Both options do the same thing as you can see, one is just more convenient (Icloud) but you pay a price for it.

Quick Tip: in your phone under icloud setting / photo's turn on 'My photo stream' this automaticly backs up all photo's and video's over the last 30 days, for free (doesn't detract from your available icloud storage) So even with the free Icloud plan, your memories are still safe (the last 30 days of them anyway).

Hope this helps!

Edited by DarmoZ
  • Like 1

Does that actually work?! Not something I'd want to try, as you'd need a strong magnet to hold the phone in place but then would you want a strong magnet near your delicate electronics...

Stick with what you already use Dan :thumbs:

article-0-12349DA8000005DC-100_1024x615_large.jpg

• Like 1

I have the 6s, and the size is great, much better and easier to use than my misses 5c, which I struggle to type on.

I agree, try and not go for 16gb, absolute rubbish, I am constantly having to delete old photos for more room, with I went bigger

Does that actually work?! Not something I'd want to try, as you'd need a strong magnet to hold the phone in place but then would you want a strong magnet near your delicate electronics...

Been using it the past year, works very well, keeps the phone in place, even during drifting. No adverse effects on my Iphone.

Edited by DarmoZ

I think the magnet fear is something some of us older members might be carrying forward from the past, particularly anyone who stuck one to an old CRT TV or cassette/floppy disk as a youth. Modern flash storage isn't anywhere near as susceptible to "normal" strength magnets like the ones which are strong enough to hold a phone but allow it to be detached with ease. Obviously there's magnets in speakers in your phone or TV straight from the factory and many "official" covers for your phone or tablet that lock it in place or lock the screen when you close it, are magnet based.

Disclaimer: if you magnetise your device into a brick, it's not my fault. They're magical and can't be trusted.

Disclaimer: if you magnetise your device into a brick, it's not my fault. They're magical and can't be trusted.

I always find if you magantise your electronics, soaking them in water overnight fixes the problem :lol:

Disclaimer: If you do this 1) Your an idiot 2) its all SuperStu's fault

:lol: