Brexit 23rd June..?

coldel

168 members have voted

1. 1. How are you likely to vote in the upcoming EU referendum

• Stay
    • Leave
    • Unsure
    • Not going to vote

I cant help but feel that since its so close ie 4% difference between the campaigns will there be any real winner when both sides can only claim have half the populations support

I cant help but feel that since its so close ie 4% difference between the campaigns will there be any real winner when both sides can only claim have half the populations support

A majority is a majority. Unless we vote to leave, then we'll be told it doesn't count and we have to do it again, but this time, EU citizens in the country can vote too.

Only then, if it's 51% remain will it count.

Well after arriving at Palma airport for our flight back yesterday and still being there 6 hours later thanks to delayed EasyJet flights, everyone when getting off when we finally arrived in Gatwick were saying how they were going to claim online for compensation...I wonder how many of them realised that they will be claiming under one of 'those' EU directives put in place by the EU to ensure customer fairness across all airline travel...article number 261 in this case. I wonder how many of those people claiming are voting out.

So many EU directives are good and are there to support everyday people, when we are out, things such as consumer protection, safety etc will need to be reworked by the government. It really does boggle the mind how much legislation we will have to recreate, its going to take years and years.

^ That's a completely arbitrary argument. IDK how long it took the EU to come to that bylaw, or how much it cost, or how much influence the UK had on it but the fact is that if we had not been in the EU I'm pretty sure our government would have created a similar law, probably better and more quickly, as they have done historically with all those employment laws that Corbyn was lauding the EU for, that actually we, the UK have led the world in!! :blush:

• Like 2

Well after arriving at Palma airport for our flight back yesterday and still being there 6 hours later thanks to delayed EasyJet flights, everyone when getting off when we finally arrived in Gatwick were saying how they were going to claim online for compensation...I wonder how many of them realised that they will be claiming under one of 'those' EU directives put in place by the EU to ensure customer fairness across all airline travel...article number 261 in this case. I wonder how many of those people claiming are voting out.

So many EU directives are good and are there to support everyday people, when we are out, things such as consumer protection, safety etc will need to be reworked by the government. It really does boggle the mind how much legislation we will have to recreate, its going to take years and years.

I'd trade compensation for not having to have 56mph speed limiters on trucks anyday :)

^ That's a completely arbitrary argument. IDK how long it took the EU to come to that bylaw, or how much it cost, or how much influence the UK had on it but the fact is that if we had not been in the EU I'm pretty sure our government would have created a similar law, probably better and more quickly, as they have done historically with all those employment laws that Corbyn was lauding the EU for, that actually we, the UK have led the world in!! :blush:

I have to say i got to completely agree with this, just because we are in the EU doesnt mean we wouldnt have made such regs by ourselves, its almost like people feel Britain on its on is completely retarded and incapable of anything positive.

I watched a little of the itv debate, nicola sturgeon just seemed to absolutely despise the opposition and the fact they were in government and made everything so personal it was almost embarrassing, i have to be honest, if that spiteful, poisonous little harridan wants in, makes me think we are much better out.

It was said generally tongue in cheek, but you miss the points. Firstly that the assumption that the EU 'interferes' and creates laws that we do not need or want (i.e. all this talk of taking back control and the EU having a say in our affairs) and secondly that the actual genuine fact is that this law exists and benefits consumers, what is fiction is that the UK will be able to easily implement a replacement equivalent law should we leave (as per your language 'Im pretty sure' and 'create similar' this is guesswork at best).

And really, my point around the whole thing is that there are going to be hundreds, if not thousands of laws we are going to have to rehash, if you look at how long it takes to get a single law through parliament this is a quite scary thought - I generally do not think that the government will give us the consumer rights that the EU give. They could quite easily just say you know what, this isn't important, we got other things to sort out, leave the consumers to take it up individually with the airline themselves (under which they have no clear rights for a claim).

All I keep hearing from the Leave campaign is 'oh it will get sorted' or 'it will be negotiated' but I havent even heard from the Leave campaign who is doing all this? Which government department? When? With who? Where do these people come from? How many experienced unilateral trade negotiators does the government have on its books? Whats the time frame? There are no answers because no one in the Leave campaign has any idea of what they are doing if we do leave using the excuse around uncertainty as a reason not to present a plan. If this were a business plan presented to an investor they would run a mile laughing their backsides off.

Edited by coldel
  • Like 1

but you miss the points.

I missed the point? I used that wording because I was demonstrating an hypothetical situation. On your point about lack of planning, I don't think there's any talk about repealing the laws already in place and Cameron has already said he has no intention of leaving when we vote out. One would hope our leaders have at least had a little think and made some sort of back-up plan about how everything needed would be put in place, as that's their job. I do however suspect that in real life there's not going to be a lot that will change, hopefully only the stuff that doesn't work.

This is a rather good (although very long - 35+ mins- I watched it instead of Top Gear last week ;) ). It's a real life professor of economics being 'grilled' by the parliamentary select committee, the contents of this interview were kept rather quiet!

Nothing will change? Seriously? I think that the fundamental issue with the leave campaign that idea is true. Why would the EU, that funds and maintains all these laws continue to implement and support a country that no longer buys into the 'club. Its not a case of repealing, they simply cannot be continued to be implemented. Whats the plan on this? Again you are saying 'you hope leaders have a plan' but its all 'i hope' 'I should think' etc, there is nothing factual about it and nothing I can honestly stick my hand up for and vote for.

If I came to you and said give me five grand, dont stick it in the bank and earn interest. I will make you back more, not sure how, or when, or with who. But you will be better off than those untrustworthy banks, would you give me the money?

I don't think too much will change either, if I'm honest. Not in the long term. Ultimately we'll stil need 300k+ immigration per year, we'll still have very similar trade deals as now, and we'll still need to adopt away policy on most things for those trade deals.

The main difference is we'll spend the next 7-10 years paying billions upon billions to lawyers to figure it all out, meaning years of financial uncertainty which will hit everyone directly in the pocket. No thanks, I don't fancy spending bucket loads just to be in the exact same position.

I understand the uncertainty with leaving Codel, but there is also uncertainty with staying, its changed massively from the common market, which was a good thing, but even the eu as we know it now wont stand still and with the possibility of more dead end countries becoming part of the super state, its a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

According to their research by Ipsos MORI, British people think far more EU citizens live in the UK than actually do, that we pay far more money to the EU budget than is the case, and that we significantly overestimate the amount of benefits paid to EU migrants.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-british-public-wrong-about-nearly-everything-survey-shows-a7074311.html

That's the same for everything though: It's nigh-on impossible to find anything on any subject written by someone without an agenda.

They key is in trying to sort the wheat from the chaff.

• Like 1