Sun Strip legalities?

GeorgeW

I have ordered an opaque sun strip from eBay, but have had a quick look up on google as its 8'' deep, and there seems to be mixed feelings on what will pass MOT and what wont - some saying that it can only come down into 'wiper zone' by 20mm, which is no good at all, however I see many cars with a really deep one, any ideas?

I was in a car that was involved in an accident and had a thick black sun strip on the top of the screen. My biggest concern was the insurance not paying out as it made the car un-road worthy. Luckily they didn't even mention it and just paid out but it would still concern me

That sounds risky, but I guess the chances of being in an accident are a lot lower than going for the MOT, which is probably why that was my first thought. He didn't mention anything about it not being road legal so I may be able to get my money back? gutted though because I was excited about that :fool:

I saw that one another forum, but they said that wouldn't work ;(

Of course it'll work!

The link kindly supplied by Zeezeebaba states the zone is must not foul is in the SWEPT area of the windscreen. If the wipers do not touch it, it's not a swept area. If it's not a swept area, you can have what you like there. As long as it gives "the driver an adequate view of the road" (their words, not mine) then smaller wipers are fine.

Trust me, I'm as picky as anyone, but this is absolutely fine and a genuine workaround. Or you find an MOT place that has half a brain.

Put it on inside of the windscreen - that way wipers won't ever touch it ;)

That will not work as the inside of the screen is still covered by the regs:

Additional Opaque Films

Additional opaque films are subject to reason for rejection 1 whether fitted on the inside or outside of the windscreen.

However if it is tinted film rather than opaque:

Additional mirrors and tinting films are not subject to Reason for Rejection 1.

LIMO Black anyone ;)

Edited by GrahameJ

Put it on inside of the windscreen - that way wipers won't ever touch it ;)

That will not work as the inside of the screen is still covered by the regs:

Additional Opaque Films

Additional opaque films are subject to reason for rejection 1 whether fitted on the inside or outside of the windscreen.

However if it is tinted film rather than opaque:

Additional mirrors and tinting films are not subject to Reason for Rejection 1.

LIMO Black anyone ;)

Yea, sorry, that's what I meant. A sun strip from tint film. Couple of my mates have that on their cars for past 3-5 years and no problems at all :)