Trailer advice for the Zed

jumping350

So am getting increasingly annoyed with breakdown cover and lack of ability to move my car when I want to when its off road so have been considering buying a car trailer for the zed to be towed by my Scooby.

I can get a tow bar/electrics for the scooby no problem but stuck on a few points as am a noob at this.

-My braked towing weight for the car is 1200kg is this the weight with or without the trailer? if its with the trailer does this mean I cant tow a trailer with my car? my license says I can tow up to 3500kg

-What size bed should I get to accommodate the zed bare in mind the Veilside at the front is quite long (but dont mind taking bumper off if I have to get it on that way) wheel base is around 9ft so I thought 12 ft bed would be fine with bumper?

-Any recommendations for type of trailer to get? im going for a braked one for sure

Basically if it turns out the scooby cant do this Il chuck idea out of window but have seen a few pics online of other Bugeyes towing stuff including boats

But as am tracking a bit next year it would be nice to be able to chuck zed on trailer and drive down with it without worry if anything goes wrong to get it home., plus can earn a bit back from helping some mates out when they need it and of course wont be stuck if I need to move large items about

Any one have much experience in this?

Thanks

Edited by jumping350

I'd be amazed if your Impreza can tow a 350Z + trailer. You're looking at around 3-500kg for a trailer, then another 1500kg for the 350, so that's about 2000kg for the lot. I'm not sure an Impreza can tow that much?

EDIT Quick google looks like 900kg is the max braked weight for an STi, but do check your documentation as that's for a US car.

• Like 1

Darryl quite sometime ago I used to work for a towbar/trailer company in Cardiff. Haven't been at that game for along time now but tbh I don't think you'll be able to tow a car transporter & the Zed with your Subaru.

I mean the car will be capable of towing it for sure (powerful enough) but safety wise you should be using a heavier vehicle upfront otherwise it can cause a pendulum effect with more weight at the back. The trailer will be braked as any trailer over a specific weight has to be braked ~ something like 750kg I think it was/is.

For a new car transporter you'd be looking at around £2.5K for one that will do the job, ...less if you can get a used one which do come up for sale. It would be probably a better idea to hire one though especially as Phil above mentions you will need to store it/maintain it otherwise.

Best bet is to phone a trailer/tow bar centre when they're open again next year. Here's a link to the company I used to work for below and they'll be able to answer all your questions with one simple phone call. ;)

Link: http://www.indespension.co.uk/

Some towing tips here;

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/towing.htm

I'd be amazed if your Impreza can tow a 350Z + trailer. You're looking at around 3-500kg for a trailer, then another 1500kg for the 350, so that's about 2000kg for the lot. I'm not sure an Impreza can tow that much?

EDIT Quick google looks like 900kg is the max braked weight for an STi, but do check your documentation as that's for a US car.

hmmmm I was thinking that, even if what i saw was right at 1500kg its still 500kg overweight which is no good, may have to look at going halfs with my friend on a disco to do the job.

Cheers for link Alex I heard of them they got some epic ones on there

Darryl quite sometime ago I used to work for a towbar/trailer company in Cardiff. Haven't been at that game for along time now but tbh I don't think you'll be able to tow a car transporter & the Zed with your Subaru.

I mean the car will be capable of towing it for sure (powerful enough) but safety wise you should be using a heavier vehicle upfront otherwise it can cause a pendulum effect with more weight at the back. The trailer will be braked as any trailer over a specific weight has to be braked ~ something like 750kg I think it was/is.

For a new car transporter you'd be looking at around £2.5K for one that will do the job, ...less if you can get a used one which do come up for sale. It would be probably a better idea to hire one though especially as Phil above mentions you will need to store it/maintain it otherwise.

Best bet is to phone a trailer/tow bar centre when they're open again next year. Here's a link to the company I used to work for below and they'll be able to answer all your questions with one simple phone call. ;)

Link: http://www.indespension.co.uk/

Some towing tips here;

http://www.oldclassi...o.uk/towing.htm

Thanks GM and everyone else thats really useful info, yeah the scooby has been kicked to the curb on this occasion now :lol: Transporter might be the way to go I reckon as my friend has like 6 bikes and a Scooby also, so between us might be a worthwhile investment, RAC can actually do one now :p

Storage and maintenance not a problem but still an interesting topic as dont know much about it all

Would be fantastic, it's the hassle of MOT road tax insurance etc.

I'd just got a new car thinking it would be fine to tow the Z, now starting to think should have done more investigation beforehand :scare:

This is what mine can tow: Unbraked Towing Weight

750 kg Braked Towing Weight

1800 kg

might be ok but on the web they're talking about extra cooling :wacko: gear box cooling

Yeah its definately added hassle for a transporter thinking about it, my mate is getting a disco which I think is the better option to go halves on and is on the list of approved vehicles just scary all the bits about pendulum and centre of mass etc will definately have to practice before I load anything on it.

I was the same thought the Scooby could tug a plane haha for estates etc I think all those upgrades are a must or you will get problems

No idea about the beaver tail or whether it's suitable for the Zeds height sorry Darryl, ...just making suggestions/giving you ideas. :teeth:

The one below apparently "has been specially modified to load stupidly low race cars such as Formula renaults, Ferrari challenge etc."

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-Sprinter-race-car-transporter-Flatbed-Tilt-Low-loader-Recovery-vehicle/221977468288?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D34620b381ba94bc286c7aa01a6ab6642%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D262209646709

Would be fantastic, it's the hassle of MOT road tax insurance etc.

I'd just got a new car thinking it would be fine to tow the Z, now starting to think should have done more investigation beforehand :scare:

This is what mine can tow: Unbraked Towing Weight

750 kg Braked Towing Weight

1800 kg

might be ok but on the web they're talking about extra cooling :wacko: gear box cooling

You have to bear in mind though the weight of the trailer and the weight of the vehicle on the trailer. If it's 75-85% greater than the weight of the towing vehicle then it's dangerous & possibly illegal to tow as well I believe.

Honestly the best thing you can do is to ring "Indespension/Brian James" or similar towbar/trailer company who will have all the relevant up to date info you'll need.

• Like 1

Maybe a dolly hire? ;) (If the tow car weight is suitable and buying one outright @ £750 is not on.)

https://www.gumtree....very/1147498208

When I was doing competition stuff I used n "A" frame to tow an Imp behind a Golf GTi and absolutely rock steady at 70mph. Only drawback is reversing as the towed car needs to be detached as there is no way you can reverse when attached due to the front wheel camber. It would be easy to hook up onto the 350z crash bar with suitable tow hooks through the bumper.

As someone mentioned earlier the max you should tow shouldn't exceed 75-80% of the kerb weight of the towing vehicle

The scooby may well have enough grunt to pull the Zed but not enough weight to be safe

Many of the TOWBAR sites do a matching service (for caravans) but if you found something that matched the weight of the Zed and trailer combined you could use that as your numbers

Check out towsure.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have a Brian James Trailer, (they are top notch BTW) I used to have a Hilux pickup truck that would tow 3 tons I now have a Ford Transit Custom, that will tow 2.5 Tons, now take a Zed @ 1.4 Tons and the trailer @ 900KG and I am towing 2.3 Tons that's close enough to the limit then add spare wheels, fuel and tools for a track day it's easy to go over.

The towing weight is the combined weight of everything behind you so the Scooby won't do it (well not legally) doesn't mean it won't actually tow it I've seen worse half the caravans on the road are behind cars not technically capable of pulling them.

I also looked at a beaver tail but then it's another vehicle to tax insure maintain etc it can be an issue though, hope you find a good solution :):thumbs:

I have a Brian James Trailer, (they are top notch BTW) I used to have a Hilux pickup truck that would tow 3 tons I now have a Ford Transit Custom, that will tow 2.5 Tons, now take a Zed @ 1.4 Tons and the trailer @ 900KG and I am towing 2.3 Tons that's close enough to the limit then add spare wheels, fuel and tools for a track day it's easy to go over.

The towing weight is the combined weight of everything behind you so the Scooby won't do it (well not legally) doesn't mean it won't actually tow it I've seen worse half the caravans on the road are behind cars not technically capable of pulling them.

I also looked at a beaver tail but then it's another vehicle to tax insure maintain etc it can be an issue though, hope you find a good solution :):thumbs:

Thanks buddy, yeah your trailer is awesome I would love that ! So basically need a heavy puller up front to begin with, it is strange as some of you have mentioned and thinking about it I have seen many caravans being towed by things that probably shouldn't be towing it..in my mind thats a bit crazy!

Thanks for all the links also got a bit of reading to do today

Thanks buddy, yeah your trailer is awesome I would love that ! So basically need a heavy puller up front to begin with, it is strange as some of you have mentioned and thinking about it I have seen many caravans being towed by things that probably shouldn't be towing it..in my mind thats a bit crazy!

Thanks for all the links also got a bit of reading to do today

Yep exactly and yes there are lots of people dangerously towing things they shouldn't be but that's why everyone is giving you advice so you're not one of them. ;)

Otherwise this... :dry:

:scare::thumbdown:

• Like 1