Airstrikes

Jetpilot

39 members have voted

1. 1. Airstrikes worthwhile

• Yes
    • No

the irony is the state of Saudi beheaded over 80 people last year and yet money and oil speak in softer tones.

I've seen this mentioned a few times now, so I just did a quick google to see what's what. It's actually 144 people beheaded in Saudi this year so far, probably more as the article I found was published at the start of November. However, I guess the argument there is that at least they have a justice system, with proper police and courts and stuff. The sentence may be harsh for some things, like drug trafficking, but at least it's all set in stone and you have half a chance at defending yourself. With Daesh you get none of that, and they'll kill innocents just for the sake of it.

I don't think the Saudi system is one we should all aspire to, but neither do I think it's in any way comparable in terms of barbarism.

Quite right Dan ! I lived and worked in Saudi Arabia for over 2 years and I felt very safe and secure during that period. Yes, punishment is severe for people who commit crime, but the system means that nice people (like me) can go about their business without worrying that someone is going to nick their car, steal their money or knife them. One of the things I remember vividly are the jewellers shops with displays of gold, expensive watches, diamonds etc., all without massive security ...

I wouldn't be allowed one if I lived out there!

Edit: my dad spent a bit of time out in the Emirates (before Dubai was fashionable haha!) and he got the impression that although the folk out there love the cars and the flash watches, if need be they'd happily give it up in a heartbeat and go back to being desert nomads.

Edited by Squee

Quite right Dan ! I lived and worked in Saudi Arabia for over 2 years and I felt very safe and secure during that period. Yes, punishment is severe for people who commit crime, but the system means that nice people (like me) can go about their business without worrying that someone is going to nick their car, steal their money or knife them. One of the things I remember vividly are the jewellers shops with displays of gold, expensive watches, diamonds etc., all without massive security ...

I wouldn't be allowed one if I lived out there!

Yes I know and that's not good, but you could own one and have a driver ... that's what a lot of expats do anyway

• Like 1

Saudi is merely a case of wealth protecting it's own kind, what people don't see is the abject poverty some are in over there. Regardless I do agree the medieval barbarism ISIS employ is a different league but inhumanely beheading someone is still wrong when lethal injection would suffice.

Edited by Zeezeebaba

Saudi is merely a case of wealth protecting it's own kind, what people don't see is the abject poverty some are in over there. Regardless I do agree the medieval barbarism ISIS employ is a different league but inhumanely beheading someone is still wrong when lethal injection would suffice.

I completely agree that the OTT sicko violence is most unpleasant but really it wasn't that long ago, just a few hundred years, that inhumane punishments happened here. Think of the fate that suffered Guy Fawkes - poor bastard was hung, drawn and quartered! And that's celebrated every year still!

Maybe it's unrealistic to expect all of the countries in the world to progress at the same speed the UK has?

And don't forget in South Africa in the 1980's 'necklacing' was all the rage - that sounds just as barbaric as what the ISIS lads are up to.

S.

Is it not kind of different being punished for breaking a law where you know what the "penalties" are than just randomly committing said acts?

Aside from watching the news last night at the house of commons, i couldnt help but think, has anyone ever wanted or gone on a protest? Seems to me a really odd thing to want to do?

Indeed. When even the French are calling for everyone to take up arms and eradicate this filth from the planet, you know it's really time to step up! :D

Now if the Italians were leading the charge it really would be serious :)

What was the old joke, ahh yes it was something about Italian tanks in WW2 having one forward gear and five reverse gears.

Wasn't it along the lines that when the RAF sold off the Harrier jump jets the Italians snapped them up as they were the only planes they could buy that flew backwards? :surrender:

• Like 1

Indeed. When even the French are calling for everyone to take up arms and eradicate this filth from the planet, you know it's really time to step up! :D

Now if the Italians were leading the charge it really would be serious :)

What was the old joke, ahh yes it was something about Italian tanks in WW2 having one forward gear and five reverse gears.

Wasn't it along the lines that when the RAF sold off the Harrier jump jets the Italians snapped them up as they were the only planes they could buy that flew backwards? :surrender:

JFI the Italians are still carrying out combat operations in Afghanistan. I understand the cliche, but they are a great bunch of professional soldiers :)