Rear bumper Led indicator/fog/ reversing light by carlab

Tuck

Tempted by this. I think I'd connect the unit's brighter 'brake' lights to only the fog light circuit only as suggested by Apex above, unless a single dedicated bright fog is found (has it yet?). I think it may be technically illegal* to connect both brake light and fog light circuits via diode to a common light BTW..

Apparently also, as well as mandatory single, matched twin fogs is acceptable but these must not be confused with brakes - fogs at least 10cm from brake light source.

Smoked look nicest, yes.

As for the water ingress - obviously if there is a crack somewhere, that'd let water in, but I'd hazard a guess that the sheath around the wires could catch and let water in if it's not installed with a downward facing U bend in it if there is water trickling from somewhere - and in any case some extra sealant wouldn't hurt.

* Says here - schedule 11 part 1 section 10 (1989 regs - but they seem to be the ones in force still) http://www.legislati...chedule/11/made

Digressing slightly - I fancy a modern red/chrome/satin wrap on my car too - but the wife seems to want to go back to Australia, so my car (which I've tipped tons of effort into) might end up with being sold although it should really get a grand viking burial instead :( yep..bitter.. Seems importing old *modified* Jap cars to police state Australia is virtually insane. Spending more money on my car is looking less likely at the moment :rant: ..but probably can't stop myself from splurging though :wacko::lol:

• Like 1

Tempted by this. I think I'd connect the unit's brighter 'brake' lights to only the fog light circuit only as suggested by Apex above, unless a single dedicated bright fog is found (has it yet?). I think it may be technically illegal* to connect both brake light and fog light circuits via diode to a common light BTW..

Apparently also, as well as mandatory single, matched twin fogs is acceptable but these must not be confused with brakes - fogs at least 10cm from brake light source.

Smoked look nicest, yes.

As for the water ingress - obviously if there is a crack somewhere, that'd let water in, but I'd hazard a guess that the sheath around the wires could catch and let water in if it's not installed with a downward facing U bend in it if there is water trickling from somewhere - and in any case some extra sealant wouldn't hurt.

* Says here - schedule 11 part 1 section 10 (1989 regs - but they seem to be the ones in force still) http://www.legislati...chedule/11/made

Digressing slightly - I fancy a modern red/chrome/satin wrap on my car too - but the wife seems to want to go back to Australia, so my car (which I've tipped tons of effort into) might end up with being sold although it should really get a grand viking burial instead :( yep..bitter.. Seems importing old *modified* Jap cars to police state Australia is virtually insane. Spending more money on my car is looking less likely at the moment :rant: ..but probably can't stop myself from splurging though :wacko::lol:

Get a divorce. :lol:

• Like 2

Yes but show me an MOT tester or a Copper who actually knows the "Law"

Its only forum geeks who do. ;)

• Like 2

Yes but show me an MOT tester or a Copper who actually knows the "Law"

Its only forum geeks who do. ;)

Fair enough. </Geek> :lol: Ordered mine last night.. leds look so much nicer on other newer cars - these should look great complementing my existing zmanalex LED brake clusters :thumbs:

I had an MR2 showcar before my Z and it had custom leds inside the standard rear light cluster. So i had 4 side and 4 brake lights.. however, i had the inner ones wires independantly to a switch in the cab as fog lights... Made the MOT testers happy and my neighbour who was a traffic cop said as far as he was concerned it was spot on.. it was the rest of the car that was illegal lol

• Like 1

Can someone get a close up photo of smoked fitted? ;)

This close up enough for you?

Ignore the bird poo that's etched into my bumper just below the number plate. Was the (lack of) work of the previous owner :yuck:

20160110_113104_zpst4du5ycq.jpg

• Like 1

Just a quick one, the replacement unit came today. It was extremely well packaged - the unit was in a bubble wrap bag, which was then rolled in more bubble wrap, and finally surrounded with layers and layers of some foamy padding. I have no idea how they managed to fit it all in the box. :lol:

Will report back in once I've had a chance to fit the unit. I'm in the process of moving into my first house right now, so pretty busy!! :surrender:

• Like 1

Mine turned up earlier in the week (smoked). They look pretty nice in the flesh - quality is fine. I've just got to get around to fitting them now. Yes really well packaged too. Carlab seem good people to deal with IMHO :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mine arrived today and I noticed that there is 4 ports on the grey connector plugs but only 3 of them with pins in and the necessary wiring. The empty port on the off side plug should be for the fog light so I've added a pin and connected the blue brake wire to it, now when I fit them to the car everything including the fog should work as original.

I let you know when I get around to fitting them if it works. :)

• Like 1

Managed to get the carlab lights fitted today despite someone deciding to use a large steel rivet to hold the rear bumper on instead of the plastic clip that it should have. Impossible to remove without destroying the bumper and panel so I just worked around it.

Anyway the wiring mod I did worked a treat and plugged straight in. A few pictures if anyone's interested

Carlab connector with 3 pins and the spare port

d0d8a16279bc335bc01c432c0362347c.jpg

4th pin added

c7f29e32dc38057cdddce7bdb9b95d47.jpg

End result

ecfcc84dd0970d0443d62dc59c1452d1.jpg

05d381d33e6569e00bb7dbe8bf982aa8.jpg

• Like 4

Managed to get the carlab lights fitted today despite someone deciding to use a large steel rivet to hold the rear bumper on instead of the plastic clip that it should have. Impossible to remove without destroying the bumper and panel so I just worked around it.

Anyway the wiring mod I did worked a treat and plugged straight in. A few pictures if anyone's interested

Carlab connector with 3 pins and the spare port

d0d8a16279bc335bc01c432c0362347c.jpg

4th pin added

c7f29e32dc38057cdddce7bdb9b95d47.jpg

End result

ecfcc84dd0970d0443d62dc59c1452d1.jpg

05d381d33e6569e00bb7dbe8bf982aa8.jpg

Where did you get the pin for the 4th wire?

Sent from my potato using duct tape