So.......insurance stings!

Luke350

These cars have crazy running costs. Pick the car up tomorrow. So sorting tax at £505 a year. And I'm paying over £200 to insure for the remaining 6 months!! And that's changing from an Impreza STI, one of the highest insurance cars you can own!

Half way through an insurance policy they do like to sting you imo.

When it comes to renewal time have a good look at some of the forum associated insurance traders on here to see if you can get a better deal or failing that start hitting the comparison websites hard.

Fyi when I had my supercharged 350 I found Adrian Flux on here to be the cheapest by a fair amount. ;)

For me they are very costly on Tax and fuel but very cheap on insurance. As above must just be an age thing.

But agree the insurance companies don`t half like to rip us off at every opportunity. Just cancelled my bike insurance 5 months into the policy, as I sold it pending the (hopefully) upcoming house move, to be told "thank you, we have cancelled the policy, there will be no refund though"... :scare:

£200 for 6 months is nothing. Mine cost me well over £1000 a year to insure and thats was with 20 years ncb and a clean license, living in an cul-de-sac full of pensioners, as ive mentioned before on here, the same companies were quoting me just £400 to insure a brand new Lambo Gallardo!

Just cancelled my bike insurance 5 months into the policy, as I sold it pending the (hopefully) upcoming house move, to be told "thank you, we have cancelled the policy, there will be no refund though"... :scare:

Thats quite lucky. When I cancelled my Yamaha R1 insurance policy 3 months into it (£60 a year it was costing me), I expected a small refund, but was told id actually have to pay them £120 in order to cancel it. They had an early cancellation fee of £50, plus admin costs, plus they would cancel any initial discount on the policy etc etc.. I was amazed. Id been with them for 4 years and the only reason I was cancelling is that they wouldnt let me add my Ducati 996 to the policy. Even though both bikes were worth the same amount, i only wanted 3rd party only so no extra risk or liability for the insurance company, and tbh, the 996 is a lot slower than the R1, so surely im at less risk of crashing if im out on it. But, unfortunately they didnt see it that way. After much haggling we settled on id pay them a £40 fee to cancel, meaning my £60 for 12 months insurance actually ended up costing me £100 for 3 months. sigh.

£200 for 6 months is nothing. Mine cost me well over £1000 a year to insure and thats was with 20 years ncb and a clean license, living in an cul-de-sac full of pensioners, as ive mentioned before on here, the same companies were quoting me just £400 to insure a brand new Lambo Gallardo!

Just cancelled my bike insurance 5 months into the policy, as I sold it pending the (hopefully) upcoming house move, to be told "thank you, we have cancelled the policy, there will be no refund though"... :scare:

Thats quite lucky. When I cancelled my Yamaha R1 insurance policy 3 months into it (£60 a year it was costing me), I expected a small refund, but was told id actually have to pay them £120 in order to cancel it. They had an early cancellation fee of £50, plus admin costs, plus they would cancel any initial discount on the policy etc etc.. I was amazed. Id been with them for 4 years and the only reason I was cancelling is that they wouldnt let me add my Ducati 996 to the policy. Even though both bikes were worth the same amount, i only wanted 3rd party only so no extra risk or liability for the insurance company, and tbh, the 996 is a lot slower than the R1, so surely im at less risk of crashing if im out on it. But, unfortunately they didnt see it that way. After much haggling we settled on id pay them a £40 fee to cancel, meaning my £60 for 12 months insurance actually ended up costing me £100 for 3 months. sigh.

WTF... Mine was less than £100 for the year so I didn`t expect much of a refund but now having read that I`m just glad they called it even.

WTF... Mine was less than £100 for the year so I didn`t expect much of a refund but now having read that I`m just glad they called it even.

I know, I was staggered. Basically how they worded it was something along the lines of that the insurance should have cost £220, but they gave me £160 worth of loyalty discount to bring it down to £60 for 12 months cover, but any cancellation before the end of the year and you loose that discount, plus get hit with a cancellation charge, plus admin charge etc. etc. All buried deep in the small print.

Unfortunately you can only use your NCB on one policy at a time, so I couldnt even let it run till it expired and start my new policy up elsewhere as I needed my 15 years NCB to stick on the new policy.

When I switched from my 307 to the Zed I had 4 months left on my policy. They wanted £110 to cancel the policy plus a £50 cancellation fee. They were unable to offer me a vehicle switch as their underwriters refused to insure me as I was under 28 years old so they retracted the cancellation fee and wanted me to pay £110 for the rest of the cover and we'd call it quits.

We ended up agreeing on a fee of £80 and it was all done and dusted. 2 months down the line I happened to check my bank statement and found that a few days after paying the £80 I had received a payment back t the tune of £93 for absolutely no reason. I was effectively paid £13 to cut my policy short - RESULT!

I won't name drop for legal reasons, so we'll just refer to them as Bastings Direct.

AF insured me during my NOS days and did a grand job.

Since though and for the last 4 years I've moved to Prestige Keep moving, 41, no points and two cars for £1,200 (Zed and 2.4 JTDM Alfa)

Service I found with Prestige is second to none.

Hi,

If anyone ever needs any help with insurance then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Is it worth protecting a ncb ?

Depends on how much it costs IMO. Typically means that you can have 2 fault claims. Can cost just a few quid protect your NCB

Edited by ryanhavana