Harley Sportster Iron 883 "build"

WINKJ

Hi all,

Not wanting to mod my 370z too much I have now looked at my bike in a different light. I am starting to spend time, money and effort (by way of learning new basic skills) to mod the bike the way I want. Some of you may remember when I put the first post about getting a harley for my first bike, and all the concerned comments about how i will drop the bike and find it difficult to ride. Happy to say after nearly 3 years I haven't dropped the bike (yet! :lol:) and find it really easy to ride, so would encourage anyone to get a sportster.

As the bike looked from standard with a few additional parts from the factory. Namely the Vance&Hines short shots, Screamin' eagle heavy breather and the side license plate mount.

What I don't like about the bike as standard is the lack of rake. It sits more like a cafe racer style bike than a "bobber" which is the look I am going for. My plans are to replace the rear shocks with 112 progressive suspension which will drop the bike right down and give it a much better stance. Cut 75% of the rear fender and frame to expose more of the rear wheel. Replace handle bars with something that has a more aggressive position and install mid foot controls to bring my feet a bit further forward. Also I will install an axle plate holder. One thing I can't decide on is whether to remove the belt guard (yes its belt driven!). Most of the american/uk Harley sites say they've ran their bike without guards for X years without a problem, but I am not 100% happy with exposing that belt when going down the motorway! :scare:

Bike as standard:

22475123578_101b273798_z.jpg

22475086297_b35c340987_z.jpg

22904587781_dcdc3f9f19_z.jpg

Axle plate holder installed:

22879923012_d30b356f5f_z.jpg

.. the lights work! :D

]22867408056_1de60bd733_z.jpg

re-wiring the indicators (first effort of splicing/connecting etc I have ever done!)

22475008527_675e5ac9e7_z.jpg

Finally remouted the breaklights/rear indicators for the frame to be cut (this will be cut from the light backwards, which will also be where the fender is cut. so now the fender will end where the lights are located, exposing the wheel). Rode the bike like this over to an engineering firm to cut the frame an fender ... happy to say I made it there alive. Picking the bike up later on :teeth:

22904517391_0962896a6e_z.jpg.

Hope you enjoyed the read and i'll keep the thread updated if anyone is interested.

I have ordered the progressive suspension, should arrive this week and i'll give fitting it a go. It should be a doddle!!

Edited by WINKJ
  • Like 3

your road tax is out of date :lol:

Yup, I sold the bike to get the X Trail, sold the X trail to get the Jag, bought the 350 on the card then got another X trail and kept the Jag, still got the K1100 RS, in fact, I have too many vehicles. Nearly forgot the MG ZT 190+

Love anything Harley :thumbs: Keep the pictures coming and I will wait for Moped Mark to bring his pictures ;)

Only picture I have of my old man's Harley vrod 100th anniversary edition 1300cc. So much chrome on this thing it was lovely.

1be5357efc0ae35fa49a851a1d5dfe9f.jpg

Keep up the good work Wink

Edited by Humpy
  • Like 3

Love anything Harley :thumbs: Keep the pictures coming and I will wait for Moped Mark to bring his pictures ;)

Only picture I have of my old man's Harley vrod 100th anniversary edition 1300cc. So much chrome on this thing it was lovely.

Keep up the good work Wink

:thumbs: lovely looking vrod! again more chrome than I would dare go near :lol: good to see we have more harley fans in the club!

Thought you mite like these ones :)

Keep up the mods on the Sportster :thumbs:

MM, amazing bikes and pictures of course! there goes my feeling of achievement with my iron :lol:. amazing bits of kit. have you still got them both?.. and the the bikes? ;)

Edited by WINKJ

Excellent stuff. Word of warning though, tweaking your bike soon gets expensive. Since I bought my Ducati 996 2 years back, I have easily spent as much on the bike modding it as it cost me to buy initially.

However it is very rewarding though when you can feel the difference the mods make and you turn what is already an excellent bike into something even better.

Surprising how little Sportsters have changed apart from the drive and motor options, and even then not so far different, couple of pics of my old bikes, the Sportster is actually red, its just the old pic that makes it a bit pink.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

some amazing looking bikes there! you don't still have the sportster by any chance do you?

Managed to complete the chopped fender install... the only outstanding thing is to get rid of the visible cable tie you can see attached to the frame, currently waiting on a delivery of cable tidys!

New suspension vs Old. 11" Progressive 412.

22988667596_6ed4a91b91.jpg

freshly cut, "rattle can" sprayed and pot rivet'd rear fender

23014707325_377dc7d8fc.jpg

test fitment:

22988673146_604e9665d4.jpg

all done!

23025837391_135e4194ab.jpg

22622489099_284e340656.jpg

23001235882_5c29e3a9b6.jpg

old

22475123578_101b273798.jpg

new

23077728871_11f8d07d5a.jpg

23052943642_64e6646b34.jpg

I am happy to say the ride is vastly improved too!! :D, I can actually go around a roundabout at speed!

Edited by WINKJ
  • Like 1

I love the look of it !!

What does one of these bikes set you back ? Really want to get my license next year and get a bike

I can't remember in detail now but the base bike is around £8k, however I had a Stage 1 upgrade which is a Vance and Hines short shot exhaust system, Screamin' Eagle heavy breather filter and Screamin' eagle ECU remap which was circa 1500-2000 if I remember correctly!

It's my first bike and I absolutely love it.

• Like 2