06 nicer interior and more powerful engine worth it?

Luke350

Wise words above. I have never driven a rev up but understand there is nothing in it engine wise, you get a 500 rpm higher redline, a few more hp but less torque. There are also cases of the rev up using oil.

The interior and slight face lift bumper are really the deciding points imho.

The interior is quite important to me. Good to hear engine is sound on both models. But I've heard a lot of complaints about the older interior. That was why Nissan updated it. What differences are there in the engine bay to make the slightly more power and less torque?

Sounds like interior isn't as big of a deal as I thought from the comments. At the risk of sounding dumb. What do DE and HR stand for? Is there a thread that notes all the differences? Don't want to be asking a question that's been answered a million times. And yes the tax jumps up to £505 per year on the HRs (ouch)

It looks like the 06 model still has the DE in it. It's only the 07 onwards that get the HR engine in it.

Yup, 06 cars have the De RevUp engine with produces 20BHP more than the 03-05 cars. There are slight exceptions such as late registered cars and the GT4 limited edition model in 05 with has the old exterior and interior, but the 06 RevUp engine. The RevUp and HR both have the same interior and exterior (except bonnet bulge to accommodate taller HR engine), the only difference is the engine.

If I ever get back into a 350, it'll 100% be an HR. The interior differences are subtle and some may not notice, but the centre console and doorcards are different and IMO better. The exterior differences include all for lights (much better looking than the DE's and worth the premium on their own) and the front bumper in mildly different, plus the bonnet on the HR as previously mentioned.

The best bits about the facelift models are the rear LED's and the bi-xenon headlights. You can of course fit the LED's to an early DE, 5 minute job and indeed the bi-xenons will also fit but that's a pretty expensive job. The interior is better but still leaves it someway short of the competition. The extra 20 bhp is mostly soaked up by the extra weight of the facelift, a fairly significant 70kg's.

Pete

• Like 1

Besides engine wise (HR is still the one to go for if you can) the interiors although minor make a difference. Go see the two types and sit in them physically.. the lighter grey colour around facelift versions makes a nicer difference to the slightly 'bin liner' colours of the DE (sorry lol). The silver bits and slight colour changes make a lot of difference if your sitting in something every day. :thumbs:

What did they add that weighed 70kg??

That's a very good question. On the face of it, I wouldn't have thought that the visible part of the facelift couldn't have added more than a few kg's. Rays came as standard from 06 onwards so maybe a few kilos there? So you have to presume that they did a lot of undocumented changes such as beefing up the chassis. The HR is pretty much the same weight as the 06 facelift BTW. I've got the weights from various sources and presume they are correct.

So, it's a bit of a mystery.

Pete

What did they add that weighed 70kg??

That's a very good question. On the face of it, I wouldn't have thought that the visible part of the facelift couldn't have added more than a few kg's. Rays came as standard from 06 onwards so maybe a few kilos there? So you have to presume that they did a lot of undocumented changes such as beefing up the chassis. The HR is pretty much the same weight as the 06 facelift BTW. I've got the weights from various sources and presume they are correct.

So, it's a bit of a mystery.

Pete

I'm still puzzled as to the 70kg, but Various sources agree with you. The Rays would lower the weight by probably 15kg over the 4 wheels and the visible changed would surely add next to nothing, under a kilo IMO as the bumper is just a slightly different shape and so the the centre console, no ore and no less plastic, just a different shape :shrug:

I wasn't aware of the chassis adjustments, but surely they couldn't have added 70kg extra metal?

It would be interesting to get a 2004 and 2006 and weigh them side by side to see.