06 nicer interior and more powerful engine worth it?

Luke350

Wow. Looking like 07 onwards may be worth the extra pennies. Plus it should be worth more to sell too.

A Zed is for life, not just for Christmas.

If you are thinking of selling before purchasing, then the Zed is not for you.

But I think the main and most important issue whether you buy a DE or HR, is not the interior, not the 70kg difference, not the updated bi-xenon headlights / LED rear lights....

...it's how annoying you want your dipstick to be.

• Like 4

Well it is nearing Christmas :) I always think of resale value. I've sold every car I've owned! This dipstick better be really awkward the way you lot go on about it! 😂

It's almost enough to prefer an engine seizure over checking your oil. It's the worst design I've ever experienced, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker on buying one.

• Like 1

My tuppence worth... if you are just using the zed on the road, then there really isn't a great deal in it. Compared to an Impreza, they will all feel slow. The zed isn't a slouch, but it isn't a quick car either. It handles and cruises sublimely though. The exterior styling is in the eye of the beholder and personally I prefer the old cars as they look less chavy. The interior is better on newer cars and obviously you can be buying a 12 year old stereo system in a DE, unless it has been changed... comes as standard in GT spec with Nokia 3210 integration :lol:

If you are worried about resale value the age of the car is obviously a factor but few really know the difference between the 3 models, outside the owners club that is. Service history, condition and mileage are where the value is at with a zed.

Thanks mdunbar. Great advice. Yes I'm not expecting it to be as mental as the STI. But that's what has got tired. You really have to be in the mood to drive it. Whereas I reckon the zed would put me in a good mood just driving it!

Having owned a stage 1 tuned 06 Impreza STi in the past. I agree. The zed is an excellent drivers car. The Impreza just ripped my face off and drove itself for the most part.

I had a zed back in 2004, sold it for the Impreza in 2006 and have just bought another zed this year. The current zed is a DE with high flow cats and after market exhaust, but otherwise standard. It is running 300bhp (according to the dyno I got it remapped on). More than powerful enough for me and power delivery is strong and linear in all gears. My point is, don't get carried away with numbers and specs on paper - test drive, get the right car and you can always !tweak" it to your needs.

about the dipstick, the DE has a weird dipstick that is fiddly to use, the HRs is kinda normal and as you'd expect.

HR's will cost more to mod due to the dual air intake and i expect just generally lower numbers of cars sold so smaller market to cater for.

the HR revs higher than the DE

edit: and don't forget the HR started in 2007 so there will be some cross over between the DE and HR in that year. bonnet bulge is the first indicator but some people like getting that as a cosmetic upgrade for the DE. so be sure to check for the dual air intakes too once you're decided on which to go for.

Edited by HiddenWomble

The bonnet bulge has me confused. Mines an 06 'rev up' 7000 rpm. So if its just a hotted up DE why the bulge for the presumably taller later engine?

It's one of the "must have" mods, go to a meet and you'll see a lot of DE's with bulge bonnets (as well as rear LED's)

Pete

De non revup - no bulge bonnet and orange reflectors on lights old interior

De revup - no bulge and no orange reflector on lights with single bulb for dipped and full beam and new interior

HR - bulge bonnet and no orange reflector on lights with single bulb for dipped and full beam and new interior

A hidden bar of gold in one of the many hidden compartments maybe??

Here are 3 possible reasons gleaned from The U.S site none of which are official.

1 Extra Soundproofing (can't see that adding much)

2 More strengthening around the doors and the chassis itself (anyone who reads this forum will know that in The States the Zed is considered the most dangerous car on the road)

3 Use of heavier and therefore cheaper materials to save money and keep the car at 25k$ in The States.

Just rumours I've picked up on.

Pete