It's official, TESLA Model S(ucks)! :)

Adrian@TORQEN

Consumer Reports withdrew its recommendation for the Tesla Model S — a car the magazine previously raved about — because of poor reliability for the $100,000 electric sport sedan. The turnabout comes after the influential consumer magazine handed the luxury car a “worse-than-average†rating in its annual report on the predicted reliability of new vehicles issued Tuesday. The news sent Tesla Motors stock plunging as much as 10% before recovering to close off 7% at $213.03 Tuesday.

•Inoperable wipers

•Leaking battery cooling pumps

•Out-of-alignment trunk and hatchback latches

•Persistent wheel-alignment issues

Overall, squeaks and rattles appear to be the most prevalent complaint. But as one respondent commented, "The car is so very silent when driving that minor squeaks and rattles that you wouldn't be able to hear in a gasoline engine car become very annoying." Based on survey responses, Tesla has made a habit of replacing the car’s electric motors. The brake rotors tend to warp. And the door handles often fail to “present†themselves as drivers approach their cars.

http://www.latimes.c...1020-story.html

http://www.nytimes.c...g-the-tesla.htm

http://www.consumerr...igh-performance

When automakers roll out new technology, be it infotainment, transmissions, or engine variations, it often has a deleterious effect on vehicle reliability. Tesla is not only the poster child for a new type of high-performance, high-mileage EV, but it also has been adding complex new variations as assembly-line updates, such as all-wheel drive this year. So it’s not surprising to see problems continue to crop up.

I'm still thinking about ordering one, its all covered under warranty

It's hardly the worst 'problem' to face an auto maker recently...If you want to see proper unreliablity go and buy a BMW, I should know I kept one for 4 years :)

I've nearly got enough saved up now for a 70S, but the Leaf is still on PCP for over another 12 months+. Might even have enough for a P90D (or what ever is coming next)....So cannot really complain about not having to wait another 12 months before been able to order a £55k car....Just another stupid first world problem :)

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 2

I am just surprised that having put so much effort into making the car easily on par with petrol equivalents in that price range in terms of performance that they make such basic mistakes around having wheels misaligned etc. I wonder what else they took short cuts on because I imagine 70% of the build cost goes into the engine development costs.

• 4 weeks later...

That just superheats my urine something chronic.

It's not f*cking dangerous to drive over a path to get to a driveway, millions of people do it every day and no-one f*cking dies. He's not parking on f*cking grass, it's a proper driveway so looks absolutely fine so no aesthetic issues there. It appears to be a f*cking 30mph straight bit of road, how the f*ck can that be unsafe to turn into? Is it then unsafe to turn off the road at a junction as well?

That's a f*cking council busybody trying to make a f*cking name for themselves, nothing else. All it's done is cost the taxpayer a f*ckton of money as the council will have had to pay the contractor to put it back AND extra to install that f*cking ugly metal barrier in the f*cking path. Really, really, REALLY f*cks me off when this kind of stupidity happens. And then you'll have the council complaining they've got no money!

Honestly. I mean, the bloke is a bit daft for not making sure he had permission in writing first, and he's definitely stupid for buying an Ampera, but otherwise it's all on Hull council being a bunch of f*ckwits. :rant: :rant: :rant:

• Like 1

That is beyond ridiculous.

I'm sure he has made a f*ck up along the line somewhere, with planning permission, but should be a simple correction to sort it out?

As Dan says, it's not like he's coming in hot off a national limit road.

Although hasn't he heard of an angle grinder?

another reason not to buy electric

http://www.dailymail...ectric-car.html

Hmmmm...... - several questions in mind arise form this (having worked as a Planner all my life but now retired, thank God! :lol: )

Start :yawn: ing

Yes, no doubt he needs planning permission from what I see from the photos that is a major road.

But, in any event there is also a need for planning permission as even it was a quiet residential road, as what he has done does not make provision for surface water run-off within his property. Now where he lives the Local Planning Authority, in that regard, may have said flooding is not an issue locally and agreed to some 95% of his 'garden' being hard-surfaced. But they can also say no if they perceive it would be a danger to highway safety.

But separately, he would need approval of the Highway Authority and that carries a fee for either them using direct labour or one of their approved contractors to carry out the work of creating the access across the pavement and verge and lowering the kerb and moving any utility object in the way. I believe some Authorities will agree to house owners doing that work by one of their approved contractors, but personally I never came across that myself. Again they can say no if they perceive a danger to highway safety. It is my guess it is the highway authority is the obstacle here and has installed the barrier as the Planning Authority cannot do that.

A common situation is that the two 'authorities' concerned, not uncommonly, fail to liaise which each other, or it maybe the house owner failed to notify both if that is the required expectation. So whilst it is easy in the case above to jump to conclusions as to which said no, it looks very much to me that the left hand was not talking to the.......yep you guessed it!

Dangerous - well like Dan eloquently described above, probably not. More likely, whichever of the two authorities has taken exception I bet, looking at the pics that they don't want a precedent set, or move reversing to or from the highway. The fact there are double yellow lines suggests parking is a hazard already.

In London where I did most of my work, some house owners got round the reversing issue (if that was the only concern) by installing turntables in their front garden! Quite how the authorities check their use is anyones guess.

There are appeal procedures but if the issue is highway safety then rarely does that concern get overturned.

But what surprises me is that whilst an Authority has denied the access, they are seemingly happy for verge parking nd a trailing electric lead across the pavement :doh:

Whatever, a ****-up but just thought I would add my two-pennies worth in case any other member who has donned the electric hat (or not!) and might be in a similar situation.

Oh, and I have no idea if the precise rules have changed in the last 3 years, so if you are thinking of doing something similar talk to both your local planning and highway authority first ;)

• Like 1