Wanted and advice

-Bradders-

Ok so as everyone I'm sure knows my engine needs a rebuild. well valve seals but its going for a full whack build for peace of mind.

Can anyone list me a quick spec of what i need? (I'm not carrying out the build but I'm supplying the parts).

Can anyone give me a list + price of a minor build? oem spec parts and what I'd need?

Can some traders give me some options for full kits etc pricing the lot.

Thank you all in advance :)

B.

IMHO you are best to get your engine builder to answer these questions and also to supply all the parts.

Once he has a full understanding on what your detailed requirements are, then he should be in a position to provide informed advice and recommendations. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Since we don't know what's wrong, and we don't know your budget, how can we answer?

All of this can only really be answered by the guys doing the work, but can I make a suggestion? Don't source your own kit and get them to fit, just let them get everything for you and haggle the price down the best you can. Last thing you want is for something to go wrong after the engine is complete and then they turn around and say that it's not their fault, it's the parts you supplied. Pay the extra, save the peace of mind, it's just one battle to have then rather than two.

• Like 1

Don't need to haggle its a friend and I was just wanting rough prices on things, I was hoping a trader would pop up and say well we do this kit for this price or this for this etc..

And if anything goes wrong after he will sort it. I've seen his previous work and im pretty confident it wouldnt go wrong anyway.

If you post up the parts that you or your engine builder want/require then your question can be answered.

However as I said in my first post: GET YOUR ENGINE BUILDER TO SUPPLY THE PARTS.

Your plan is a sure way to lose a friend if it goes belly up. :blush:

• Like 1

If you post up the parts that you or your engine builder want/require then your question can be answered.

However as I said in my first post: GET YOUR ENGINE BUILDER TO SUPPLY THE PARTS.

Your plan is a sure way to lose a friend if it goes belly up. :blush:

but if i get price lists, then i can show him the posts and then he can say yeah go for that or no dont get that?

Have you looked at the option of buying a low mileage second hand engine with some sort of warranty??

Yeah but i'd rather this guy build my engine, i've seen what he can do and i want boost eventually.

if you want boost then don't go oem internals?

but if i get price lists, then i can show him the posts and then he can say yeah go for that or no dont get that?

Well then if he knows what you need, then ask him!

Also, he may be your mate now, but if your engine goes pop and he doesn't think it's his fault, I can't see him shelling out another grand of his own money just to keep you happy. Seriously, just tell him you want a price to get your engine back to where it should be AND a price for an engine that will take 500bhp (or whatever), and then pick your option. That's the point where you can post up here and tell us what someone who has actually seen the engine says you need, and we can then either agree or disagree based on the evidence.

Bloody hell Bradders, you don't half make life difficult for people that want to help you sometimes! :lol:

Have you looked at the option of buying a low mileage second hand engine with some sort of warranty??

Yeah but i'd rather this guy build my engine, i've seen what he can do and i want boost eventually.

12 posts in and you only just think to mention this? Is this some kind of secret aptitude test? :dry:

If the engine hasnt been opened yet and you dont know what you want to do with it then your question doesnt have an answer.

tbf i think the engine internals will be fine, i've just completed a 1200 mile road trip in the thing (£177 of fuel! not too shabby!) and only thing its done is drink several litres of oil :lol: oh and exhaust snapped but all else was fine :D

I just as i mentioned wanted someone to come in and say here bradders, heres the package deals we do for rebuild kits, take a look

i thought it would be easy no? :lol:

So on one hand the engine is fine and doesn't need a rebuild, and then you expect there to be a generic package for an engine rebuild when you don't think there's anything wrong?! :lol:

:lol: Basically yeah lol It's just going through oil so fast, still ran a 13.8 down pod even with the smoke lol. i've done 6000 miles since the smoke started including the wales trip and the 1200 mile road trip last week. i was advised by a known pro on here that the rings where shot, but i think it would have gone pop by now if that was the case, i had several mechanical friends look at it and all say the valve seals?? but my mate said he fancies rebuilding it so i said he can lol?

Aaaand you want to boost at some point, which IMO is only worth doing with uprated internals, and possible headwork too.

You want more than my wife does man! :lol:

OK, serious Q here - have you actually looked inot the difference between replacing stem seals and piston rings? Hint: It might be worth at least familiarising yourself with the processes before making a decision, there is a fairly big difference between the two.

Edited by docwra
  • Like 1

I know the difference lol, if i could be bothered and had the time, i'd do the build myself, i've done plenty of 4 pot engines, just never taken on a V block lol. and dont trust myself not messing things up, at least i can point the finger if something goes wrong :lol: