Deal or no Deal

Daryl

Hoping people can help me decide if this car is worth buying or avoiding, we went to look at it Saturday morning. Its a red Leon Cupra R, full SH from Seat, which checks out with the garage, as iv rung them. Its a 2010 plate with 32k on the clock. We arrive in Coventry, and find the house ok, car parked out the front, has not been turned over, so engine cold, and the car looks pretty decent, the exhausts are shiny and the insides of the wheels are pretty clean. Mo, the guy we went to meet, was open on the phone that it was not his car, it was his sister in law's car, and she wants it sold as she is not using it much, and does not have a job. However, we didnt view the car at the same address that the car is registered at , though its only 4 miles away. The car was at his brother's house, (not his house, he lives round the corner), however, he let us in the house, which was well presented, and even offered us a cup of tea. The house belongs to his brother, and he lives with his parents. So, not his house, not his car, and not at the address the car is registered at......

The car all checks out, plugged in my fault reader, and didnt get any faults recorded. The only thing I could find fault with, was some minor kerbing on the wheels, and front tyres that will need replacing at some point soon. Paint work was decent, and panel gaps were good all round, and the car drove really smoothly. Price wise, its on the money, and is very well spec'd. We did an HPI check when we got home, and it said it had outstanding finance on it. The wife called him up, and he said that she did take a loan out on the car, but paid it off after 6 months, and he was surprised that it showed up.

Looking over the car, i found a couple of long dark hairs, which makes sense, as well as some photo ID in the centre arm rest for the lady who owned the car. (But is that odd, if she is not working now, would she have kept the ID.....)

He showed me the R8 V10 his brother had in the garage, which was nice.

Something about the situation that does not seem right to me, but maybe im just being paranoid.

It will be the wife's car, and she has said that she needs to see a closing statement from the bank/ financer regarding the settlement of the loan etc, before we proceed.

She has put a £150 deposit down, and got a receipt for it, and agreed that if the car doe snot check out, we get that back. That is how we have left it.

Let me know your thoughts please, its a fair chunk of money, and we want to get it right.

IMO there are too many issues to feel confident the car is legit.

Frankly I am surprised you have remembered the whole tale !!

Your wife is right about wanting to see a final statement on the finance which you need from the HPI Check company not the seller.

Personally I would collect your deposit back shop elsewhere erasing any doubts.

tbh, if you have a gut feeling which says something isnt right then I would walk. It might all be fine and legit, but that gut feeling is something I usually listen to. Must be plenty of others out there?

With regards to the HPI finance thing, it can be a nightmare. I bought a motorbike once which flagged as having finance on it. I phoned up the finance company and they confirmed to me that the finance was on the old owner, and not the bike, and the old owner had cleared it all off. But, even 10 years later, HPI still were showing that it had finance on it. Nightmare.

• Like 1

Sounds good to me, you're probably a bit paranoid about it. As long as you get the v5 for it, all details from it check and call the finance company to verify if there is anything outstanding, it will be good. You can use all of that to your advantage to negotiate the price further: "so much hassle to check, found another car somewhere else etc" :)

Good luck with this either way you're going.

To be honest, I dont trust him, and iv said this to the wife, but she says im just being silly. However, the tail seems a little long to me. Its a decent, rare car, with 3 owners, and it could well be legit, the wife also loves it, and im trying to calm her down, but she seems hell bent on it. We have sorted a price on it, got some cost off for new tyres and refurb of the wheels.

• Like 1

Well if the finance final statement does not come back, then the deal is dead. This guy is hanging on by the seat of his pants as far as im concerned. Yes, id like to meet and greet the actual owner prior to the collect without a doubt. Money obviously is not an issue to this family, but it does seem to smell abit fishy to me, as iv said, i dont trust him.

Most of my female friends fall in love with a car and are not accepting of pretty much any issues raised.

Its pretty, the right colour, they can drive it, job done.

Drives me nuts :lol: :lol: as I really can walk away and am not tempted when all the boxes are not ticked or at least close and understood or accounted for in the deal.

But then they think I am odd for having such a passion with cars anyway. :lol:

Finance is clear, we have an email direct from VW uk finance, 5minutes from where we live, stating they have no interest in the car etc. We have FB stalked the seller now we have his name, and everything seems to check out. We have a photo of the VIN plate that ties up with the V5. Still proceeding with Caution, but we are proceeding. He works for Barclays bank

Simples,

If you really want the car:

Visit the name on the V5 to get clarity.

Check the V5 Vin with the car.

Phone the HP company to get clear title and then get it in writing.

This. ^^^

Make sure you meet and deal with the person named on the V5 in a private sale and ask to see the marriage certificate to verify the name change. Ask for a signature from the woman to verify that against what should be hers already on the V5.

Absolute must to make sure the VIN checks out.

Going to do a money transfer at the residence house if we can, so we can have another snoop around the car and makesure everything is as it should be. When we pick it up, the owner will be present, so we will check to see if everything tallies up. We have checked him out online, and he seems genuine, so fingers crossed it is just a strange series of events, but we are going in with our eyes wide open.

Simples,

If you really want the car:

Visit the name on the V5 to get clarity.

Check the V5 Vin with the car.

Phone the HP company to get clear title and then get it in writing.

The only other thing would be to make sure it's not a cloned car, ie two running round on the same reg.

As well as the VIN. Check the V5 reference number online. Look at the number plates, supplying dealer name in them. Service book supplying dealer stamps etc. Phone dealer to check.

Other than that, what might put others off could end up with you getting a good deal.

Well im pleased to say that yesterday we picked it, and although we were up there for nearly 4 hours, the car is now officially my wifes, and she loves it. We transfered the balance of the money on the way up to Coventry, as we thought it would be easier. We called the bank (Nationwide), after half an hour of being up there, and they said the money had left my wife's account, and it should show in the other account shortly, that was at around 3pm. At 5.30pm, she called the bank again, and they said that it had been held up by the fraud department, and they wanted to clarify that she had made the transfer, and that she could see the car etc. Why on earth this didnt happen at 3pm, when we originally called her, we have no idea. Anyway, the car is home now, and the wife loves it.

• Like 1

It's probably the adjustment bureau setting you up, have you checked the wheel arches for drugs? The hair you found probably belongs to a corpse now buried in your back garden under the bush. The adjustment bureau know the future and in 20 years time, had they not interfered, you would be a maniac commie poised to start a nuclear war.

Enjoy the car and the prison cell you'll end up in.

The lizard men are real.

Edited by mouthwash
  • Like 2

To be honest, i was not convinced by it all, even up to when we took a drive waiting for the money to show in the account. However, his brother, who's wife owned the car, turned up, and we sat chatting about cars and life in their house for an hour or so. Iv been proved wrong, and im very happy about that, as to be out of pocket by that amount would not have been fun for the wife. The car looks fantastic on the road, and my wife is mega pleased with it. I did get told off for not trusting the guy, as she said she would have just transfered all the cash in one hit, and we could have been home by 4pm at the latest, and not 7.30 like we actually were, but she also said it was good to be cautious, so iv no idea if im in trouble or not! lol