Not your usual build thread! - Update - Retro games lounge

marzman

• 2 weeks later...

Okay couple of minor updates...

Firstly in the shooting range... i picked up a couple of 'props' to give it a military/comedy feel (as in, look at this crazy guy with all this stuff in the loft)

I got some camo-net and an ammo box. I need to nail the camo net to the roof yet and pickup a couple of sandbags before it's finished.

595C4723-E0F2-4932-AF47-D9692592715C-2560-000004F4C3ED634E_zpsmerzrotc.jpg

Moving on, last night i was in my garage until 2am giving it a tidy, whilst smoking a big fat cigar, having a few glasses of red, and listening to an audiobook. I had a great time!!

The space is amazing... plans are to fit some kitchen units along one of the walls for storage so i can hide all the crap thats out on shelves. One problem ii do have though (not pictured) is that it has 2x single garage doors, with a brick pillar between them. This makes it really difficult to get a car into the garage to work on... so i need to consider having the pillar removed and a single door fitted but i'm sure that'll cost a fair wedge. One for next year i think.

So really happy with the feel of the garage... it's just missing one key thing - A CAR!! The plan is to pickup an rwd track car at some point early next year, hopefully.

53456542-B4D2-4F57-B649-43153CCF7D4C-2560-000004F4CEC61A47_zps9hfqrv4p.jpg

F99DD35D-A616-4D29-9BB2-8B78BAC86A06-2560-000004F4D52C8E48_zpsk7qipfmj.jpg

I see you're settling in alright then Chris. You've not been there five minutes and your wanting to knock pillars down. What's next, digging a cellar for a media room haha?!

Ref the pillar, you'll need a structural engineer to do the calcs for the steel to span the full width if the garage is integral to the house.What's above the doors?

Ref nailing camo netting and " nailing" it to the roof timbers, don't go too mad, you'll have the tiles/slates bouncing off. Screws might be better.

Anyway looking good!

Edited by leonk
  • Like 1

I see you're settling in alright then Chris. You've not been there five minutes and your wanting to knock pillars down. What's next, digging a cellar for a media room haha?!

Ref the pillar, you'll need a structural engineer to do the calcs for the steel to span the full width if the garage is integral to the house.What's above the doors?

Ref nailing camo netting and " nailing" it to the roof timbers, don't go too mad, you'll have the tiles/slates bouncing off. Screws might be better.

Anyway looking good!

Ha ha, cheers mate.

On the garage, above the doors there are just 3 courses of bricks, single width. The roof joists are resting on top of these. The whole garage is just a single width of bricks, and the doors go right to the edge of the garage, so any steel will need to completely span the full width of the garage, which im not sure will be possible.

The garage isnt integral though, so i guess i've got that going for me.

3 courses of bricks at 65mm plus mortar joints, you should have about 225 to 250 to play with for an RSJ. Might be possible.

Finish unpacking first. When you're ready I'll call for a brew and have a look.

Obviously I'll park round the corner as you'll probably be under surveillance by at least one security or intelligence service following your other posts! I'll bring a pizza box and just pretend I don't know you.

Edited by leonk
  • Like 2

3 courses of bricks at 65mm plus mortar joints, you should have about 225 to 250 to play with for an RSJ. Might be possible.

Finish unpacking first. When you're ready I'll call for a brew and have a look.

Obviously I'll park round the corner as you'll probably be under surveillance by at least one security or intelligence service following your other posts! I'll bring a pizza box and just pretend I don't know you.

Brilliant. :lol:

Yes mate when things have settled down a bit i'll give you a shout. :thumbs:

Okay so another busy weekend in the new pad.

After quite a bit of searching i found some shelves that would be perfect for my retro games lounge... put them together and then drilled a few holes with some core bits for the cables and bobs your uncle.

FDA7DD36-B499-4C45-836C-A263E2731A5B-766-000001401CA04E0B_zpsokfuyr3m.jpg

879FADCD-1BC5-4BF6-A7E6-EE1CEBA45867-766-0000014024DC738D_zpsd1wp7ogk.jpg

Just one minor problem - i picked up a Megadrive 1 since buying the shelves, and it's too wide!!!! Damnit!! I'll have to swap it for a Megadrive 2 which has smaller dimensions.

F9A82B3A-A52F-4E15-AB31-932C2A7FF0FA-766-00000140298DD2CA_zps4gacnlp7.jpg

F889908E-8DE8-4477-B799-2CC363711586-766-00000140340D9BEC_zpsmcxbd3g2.jpg

5CAD73AF-A9D6-40EA-A999-FDAC9AB71755-766-0000014038FA6A49_zpsar3eg3ak.jpg

3F47F588-A488-492B-A469-C123D36FE51B-766-000001403DF4EC8E_zps6qxe0kqz.jpg

40F3BE67-FB20-46C7-81A4-EC82E9BB07E9-766-00000140467143D3_zpsuly02ztj.jpg

• Like 1

I was just about to zoom in to see if that was a megadrive but you soon confirmed it lol. Man that's a blast from the past! Hours of my life wasted on sonic and desert strike

Awesome work so far mate. Glad you've found a house your happy with, remember reading a few of your posts re house hunting etc

But tricky Ricky stole your limelight with that woodwork :lol:

• Like 1

Okay so another busy weekend in the new pad.

After quite a bit of searching i found some shelves that would be perfect for my retro games lounge... put them together and then drilled a few holes with some core bits for the cables and bobs your uncle.

FDA7DD36-B499-4C45-836C-A263E2731A5B-766-000001401CA04E0B_zpsokfuyr3m.jpg

879FADCD-1BC5-4BF6-A7E6-EE1CEBA45867-766-0000014024DC738D_zpsd1wp7ogk.jpg

Just one minor problem - i picked up a Megadrive 1 since buying the shelves, and it's too wide!!!! Damnit!! I'll have to swap it for a Megadrive 2 which has smaller dimensions.

F9A82B3A-A52F-4E15-AB31-932C2A7FF0FA-766-00000140298DD2CA_zps4gacnlp7.jpg

F889908E-8DE8-4477-B799-2CC363711586-766-00000140340D9BEC_zpsmcxbd3g2.jpg

5CAD73AF-A9D6-40EA-A999-FDAC9AB71755-766-0000014038FA6A49_zpsar3eg3ak.jpg

3F47F588-A488-492B-A469-C123D36FE51B-766-000001403DF4EC8E_zps6qxe0kqz.jpg

40F3BE67-FB20-46C7-81A4-EC82E9BB07E9-766-00000140467143D3_zpsuly02ztj.jpg

Great idea but would you be better off with a CRT television? I find that older consoles look pretty bad on modern screens. You could probably pick one up on Ebay for a few quid and have it side by side with your other TV. :)

Edited by sipar69

Great idea but would you be better off with a CRT television? I find that older consoles look pretty bad on modern screens. You could probably pick one up on Ebay for a few quid and have it side by side with your other TV. :)

Yep I intend to get a CRT TV at some point. Mainly so i can play light gun games. I fancy a bit of Virtua Cop on the Saturn when i get one!

Love the gaming room, also noticed the arcade cabinet tucked away.

On my phone so can't really tell but is it an original or has it got a PC running ROMs?

Cheers. I built the cabinet myself from scratch. It's got a PC with mainly console game roms in it, but some really nice front end software that means everything is controlled/selected via the arcade sticks, so you cant really tell its a PC.

• Like 2

Love the gaming room, also noticed the arcade cabinet tucked away.

On my phone so can't really tell but is it an original or has it got a PC running ROMs?

Cheers. I built the cabinet myself from scratch. It's got a PC with mainly console game roms in it, but some really nice front end software that means everything is controlled/selected via the arcade sticks, so you cant really tell its a PC.

Looks great, well done :thumbs:

A friend of mine did something similar years back but he bought an original cabinet and adapted for a pc as the internals were shot. He spent a fortune on the control sticks/buttons as well to try and keep it looking and feeling authentic.

Careful when buying CRT for light gun games. I know you know that, but I'll mention it anyway.

I bought a 32" Sony CRT for my retro stuff, as it's the biggest CRT you can get before everyone started switching to LCD. Top of the range at the time (the speakers are absolutely beautiful, so clear and you now realise just how crap TV speakers now are), looks ace and works a treat.

Except it's 100hz.

I didn't even think to check if it was switchable, but it's not. None of the 32" stuff I've found is, so you have to drop down to 28" to get 50/60 switchable. All the other games look awesome in 100hz, but I now need to purchase another 28" TV just for Virtua Cop and HOTD!

/first world problems

Careful when buying CRT for light gun games. I know you know that, but I'll mention it anyway.

I bought a 32" Sony CRT for my retro stuff, as it's the biggest CRT you can get before everyone started switching to LCD. Top of the range at the time (the speakers are absolutely beautiful, so clear and you now realise just how crap TV speakers now are), looks ace and works a treat.

Except it's 100hz.

I didn't even think to check if it was switchable, but it's not. None of the 32" stuff I've found is, so you have to drop down to 28" to get 50/60 switchable. All the other games look awesome in 100hz, but I now need to purchase another 28" TV just for Virtua Cop and HOTD!

/first world problems

Now i did NOT know that. Cheers Dan.

Yeah it's such a drag playing on these small screens. I've no idea how i managed as a teenager with just a 24" telly.

Yeah it's such a drag playing on these small screens. I've no idea how i managed as a teenager with just a 24" telly.

Ah sorry dude, that probably came across as really patronising then :blush::lol: Erm, didn't mean that, I genuinely thought that someone who was massively into his retro stuff would know more than I did. So yeah, apologies and things.

It's ridiculous, I have a 50" LCD hung up on the wall for the 360/Wii/PS2, then a poxy 32" CRT which is about a billion times the depth for playing sodding Mario Kart on! :D

Ah sorry dude, that probably came across as really patronising then :blush::lol: Erm, didn't mean that, I genuinely thought that someone who was massively into his retro stuff would know more than I did. So yeah, apologies and things.

It's ridiculous, I have a 50" LCD hung up on the wall for the 360/Wii/PS2, then a poxy 32" CRT which is about a billion times the depth for playing sodding Mario Kart on! :D

No worries man. I've literally never purchased a CRT anything (monitor or TV). i always had hand me downs, and then when i became old enough to buy my own TV they were all flat screens, so never had to consider any of the specs. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Keep an eye out on eBay, I got my TV for £5 :D

I'm currently looking for a Panasonic 28", a specific model really as that's what I used to have and it was ace. Came with built-in 5.1 as well, which would be nice to do out of the box rather than faff around trying to run it through the AVR.