Another Cyclists Rant !

ianphampton

WTF!!! They are everywhere! Is that in lomdon I'm guessing??

Nope, thats Cambridge and its pretty indicative. TBF Ive been having a long running discussion with a cyclist mate and we have both agreed that Cambridge is an anomaly, they are absolutely mental round here.

The same mate was kocked off his bike by a taxi last year and came out of the deal a kidney lighter, even if the cyclists are at fault (and he wasnt) they are always going to coem off worse if theres a problem, hence this status quo of who is worse. Fact is there are bad cyclists and bad drivers, but the drivers cause more carnage.

• Like 1

I never get the comments "there are bad drivers too". Of course there are, we have threads about them all over the place too, no one puts in a bad driver thread, "don't forget there are bad airline pilots too".

There's bad pedestrians, bad unicyclists, bad bikers, bad horse riders, bad passengers. In fact in almost every method of movement there are bad :lol:

• Like 1

I bought a carbon race bike when living in France, cycled across France on it on my own, brought it with me when I moved back to the UK and sold it a couple of years back. So have plenty of views on cyclists which I think are reasonably valid.

Interestingly, in France they have built all across Paris those bike lanes as in the picture shown a few posts back, however it introduces pedestrians to the equation as the bus stops are all road side so people have to step into the bike road/lane, the amount of accidents I saw was unreal. However what was more true of France and indeed Europe is that people on bikes cycle slower and are not so intent on breaking PBs which on the whole is really a big UK problem for me.

Here anyone on a fast bike is intent on getting to their destination in the shortest possible time regardless of what laws are in place on the road. There is a crossroads next to a local pub and I have sat there and watched the majority (over 80%) of cyclists just cycle right through. Either by cutting across empty parts of road or just mounting the pavement and using the pedestrian crossings. In the UK its normal behaviour for cyclists to change direction regularly in moving traffic, this is hugely dangerous as there is no indication and they are weaving distances of 5-10 times their bikes size across traffic putting them into different positions around cars less than a second apart, it makes it almost impossible for drivers to know where they are as no one can check mirrors or blind spots that regularly. There are many pavement based bike lanes in place near me, none of which are used by the race going cyclist as it affects this PB they are going for on the way to work or the like so prefer to cycle on narrow roads causing traffic after a million pounds of taxpayers money has been spent on a cycle lane on the pavement.

Sure, there are bad drivers, but they account for a small percentage of drivers, there are bad cyclists and they account for a huge percentage of cyclists and the main reason I stopped cycling altogether. There are three things I hated as a cyclist in the UK:

1. The rain

2. The wind

3. Other cyclists

If I moved back onto the continent though I would happily purchase myself another bike and get back in that saddle.

• Like 1

I guess it depends on where you live, there are no cycle lanes out here and very few traffic lights, but lot's of drivers that get too close when passing. And cyclists in big groups not allowing drivers to pass easily, especially at the weekend

In London there is a huge push by our dear Mayor to increase cyclist numbers, which is great, get people fitter, reduce pollution etc - but you are getting people onto bikes who have no idea of how to cycle in a city, nor is there the provision in the infrastructure to account for thousands of bikes on a road. Simply putting some blue paint on a narrow road with a white bike sign is not how to create a transit system that will take tens of thousands of bikes and cars.

And as above, unfortunately the majority of cyclists on the fast bikes seem to have a quite mental attitude to cycling on the road that is so disparate from the rest of the world it makes for a hotbed of confrontation.

Yes, just adding a blue line doesn't help, education is required too, for cyclists and drivers. Last year I cycled from Marble Arch to Arc de Triomphe and to be honest i hated driving through London and Paris, not much fun at all.

Give me the countryside any day, I'm fortunate to have the Cotswolds on my doorstep..

One thing that really gets me is cyclists with no helmets on...mad !

Worst is when you get 2 cycling side by side not giving a solitary f*@k that no one can get by.

Cyclists riding side by side are easier to overtake than when they ride one in front of the other, as your TED is halved. You give a cyclist as much space as you would a car anyway, so really it makes no difference. If the road isn't wide enough to overtake a car on, then I would agree that common sense would dictate that the cyclists do drop back into single file to let you pass, but again you have to think about whether the overtake is safe to carry out if the road is that narrow.

Well if there are parked cars on either side and on coming traffic, it makes it a tad difficult.

They'll be there talking to each other as they casually trundle along completely remorseless of the 760 mike tailback they're causing.

I recommend all of you taking a bike out for an hour or so and try cycling around and see what you encounter. I am sure if everybody tried this they would be much more understanding and peace on the road ;)

I cycle every Wednesday evening, with one big difference, i get off road as soon as i can ;)

However, when on the road getting to off road, i have never have any issues with cars or them me, if i can get out their way i do. But, i usually take my bike via my van to a set meeting point and regularly have encounters with the road cyclists on route, we have cycle lanes and i must have had half an inch of mirror in said lane and had 3 very angry lycra warriors make comment and then proceeded to watch them ride on down the road gesturing and commenting to pretty much every driver they were undertaking, pretty sure thats illegal as it happens ;) The best part was, i knew they would be going to the same start destination as me ;) So when i got there, now on my bike (which confused them no end), i had to take the opportunity to have a little chat and ask them what their issue was, a fellow cyclist challenging them on their attitude, they didnt like that ;)

As Stevo mentions, the problems are Strava and wanting to maintain the average and get the illusive 20 to 21 mph, nothing else, nothing more.

They are unaccountable for their actions and they know it, i bet they dont behave like that in their cars, so why bikes, because they know they can :)

• Like 3

Worst is when you get 2 cycling side by side not giving a solitary f*@k that no one can get by.

Cyclists riding side by side are easier to overtake than when they ride one in front of the other, as your TED is halved. You give a cyclist as much space as you would a car anyway, so really it makes no difference. If the road isn't wide enough to overtake a car on, then I would agree that common sense would dictate that the cyclists do drop back into single file to let you pass, but again you have to think about whether the overtake is safe to carry out if the road is that narrow.

Well if there are parked cars on either side and on coming traffic, it makes it a tad difficult.

My point exactly: It's not safe to overtake anything there, be it a single cyclist or a herd of wildebeest.

• Like 1

My point exactly: It's not safe to overtake anything there, be it a single cyclist or a herd of wildebeest.

So you just sit behind even if it is a single cyclist?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?t=122&v=o9pmw2ckQSU

Giving cyclists at least the same room as a car is actually written down in the HC too. Cyclists have as much right to be on the road as any car, whether we like it or not, and should be treated with equal respect.

Now, if they're jumping red lights then I hope the silly f*ckers get run over at some point, but then I wish the same nasty things on cars that jump red lights, or cars that don't indicate on roundabouts.*

*Massive pet hate of mine. When I'm charge, I'm placing snipers at every roundabout to shoot in the face anyone not indicating.
  • Like 2

Makes no difference where the cyclist is in the lane, you still need to move across an entire lane for a safe overtake.

if he is sitting towards the right hand side of the lane how can you leave enough space to pass safely

explain to me the difference

bike.png

if cyclist want cars to pass safely they should give as much room as the car

And this point of you should give as much room as your would give a car when you overtake a cyclist is bollocks, when you overtake a car there is i would estimate 3-4 feet between cars, im sure mr cyclist would wave his fist if i passed with 3-4feet between

Edited by StevoD

^^ the **** is that cyclist doing behind the lorry at 2:17 riding in middle of lane for no reason have a big of courtesy and ride the left so car can overtake

From what I could see he was going the same speed as the lorry and set himself up to also pass the cyclists ahead ?

how about when they cycle two a breast surly passing the outside bike is no different to passing a single closly

bike1.png

This is shown in the video

i did it said you should go in the other lane well the distant from the outside rider would be the same is you only cut half the lane to pass a single how is it ok in one instant and not the other?

how about when they cycle two a breast surly passing the outside bike is no different to passing a single closly

bike1.png

This is shown in the video

i did it said you should go in the other lane well the distant from the outside rider would be the same is you only cut half the lane to pass a single how is it ok in one instant and not the other?

I think 1:41 onwards in the video

Here is the HC extract, I haven't looked at the mentioned rules, probably worth taking a look

• give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 213) and 214 to 215).

hc_rule_163_give_vulnerable_road_users_at_least_as_much_space_as_you_would_a_car.jpg

• Like 1

I have literally no idea why anyone would want to get their protective lycra on and ride anywhere near a road with 1.5 half tonnes and more of metal flying past them, hell, sometimes the roads scare the sh*t out of me and i am in the relative safety of a metal cage with air bags and seat belts.

Perhaps thats the answer, they are "not right" in the first place :)