How far front arch protrusion legal for wheels tyres

mobius

Hi just trial fitting my JR11 wheels fronts are the problem 18x9.5 ET22, they just graze the Brembo calipers, so need to get spacers thinking 3 or 5 mm only thing is when I shimmed washers about 3 mm thick between wheel studs only getting clearance of 1.5 mm before caliper hitting wheel so tried shimming washers to about 5 mm better about 3 mm clearance which is better, only thing is wheel protrusion look at photos about 29 mm out of arch to wheel edge the JR11 has a rim puting it out farther. . whats the law on this will it pass MOT or do I need to consider returning 9.5 and getting 8.5 wheels tyres are 245 40 18.

Bloody Brembo brakes causing major issues with these wheels :bang:

I have photos but too large any idea how to resize them

I have a never failed an mot with a fair bit worse than that, around 9.5 et0, i am unsure on the exact law but at the level you will be talking i really wouldnt have the slightest concern.

9.5 et20 is considered a perfect fit :) so 1 or 3mm further out is relatively nothing, have you actually lowered the car onto the ground, or just bolted up to the hub?

It used to be that no part of a tyre should be sticking out at all. Thats why all the old 1930`s hot rods people used to build in the UK had to have wheel arches covering the tyres, whereas in america they wouldnt bother.

However, all the recent hot rod shows ive been to, people seem to just not bother with wheel arches at all now on their 32/34 fords etc, and go for the same look as in the USA. I dont know if the rules have changed, or if its just because 1930`s cars are now MOT exempt and they figure VOSA wont pull them up for an "vehicle safety" inspection.

• Like 1

Just so we're clear, there is NOTHING in the MOT manual that specifies how far a wheel or tyre can protrude past the arch.

However, it does specify the tyre must be seated on the rim correctly, so tyres outside of manufacturer spec should fail. You can also come a-cropper under the Construction And Use Regs, which is a far more complex piece of legislation to check through. Suffice to say the pics above would probably fail the MOT under the manufacturer rule, and possibly break the C&U regs too.

Whether you'd be picked up on it by the MOT guy or a TrafPol is another story. Probably not, in all honesty, and I've seen worse. I'll refrain from my usual rant about just buying stuff that fits properly... ;)

• Like 1

Don't see the fuss here. The car will need lowering or else will look hideous in current stock height and bling wheels.

So assuming it will be lowered on springs or coilies at some point it would gain abit of camber and look spot on😎

• Like 1

Its that daft rim round the wheels makes it look worse mine is the same i used the narrowest tyre i could legaly use on these rims without stretch that kept all the tread under the arch and as for looking crap because its not lowerd is a lot of bull if you like it the way it is leave it

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk