E9X M3....

benjy88

So I'm seriously debating selling the Zed, as I think I need to grow up a IittIe at the moment. Got a bit awkward turning up to an appointment in my noisy bright orange car haha.

The car I have in mind is still RWD, still a coupe, but with added cylinders...

E92 M3. Does anyone have any experiences of changing between the two? I'd only go Manual, and onIy Coupe.

I bought an E92 straight after the Zed. Techinically owned it for about 19 hours before getting my deposit back and buying a 911 instead.

They're great cars, they really are, and they're the last of a breed of big NA engines at an affordable price. It's the perfect car, but I didn't get that WOW factor after purchase, so I quit. Ironically I'd love one now, but at the time it just wasn't right for me. As I said earlier today though, it's a RWD V8 coupe with a manual 'box, his bad can it be?

• Like 1

I bought an E92 straight after the Zed. Techinically owned it for about 19 hours before getting my deposit back and buying a 911 instead.

They're great cars, they really are, and they're the last of a breed of big NA engines at an affordable price. It's the perfect car, but I didn't get that WOW factor after purchase, so I quit. Ironically I'd love one now, but at the time it just wasn't right for me. As I said earlier today though, it's a RWD V8 coupe with a manual 'box, his bad can it be?

That right there is the only thing that concerns me. I've always had something a bit different, or a bit unique. I suppose it's part of the needing to grow up thing that I let that go, but is the M3 a bit 'too' normal if you get me?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Absolutely. It's basically the most common car on the roads, except it has a dirty great V8. For some that's the appeal, for others it's just too bland.

If you like the subtleties of the 350, then you'll adore the M3. If you want something that everyone stares at when you drive past, then I suspect you'll be disappointed. Or you just stick a frickin' great exhaust on it, then everyone will hear you before they see you :D

I think it's definitely a marmite car, but there's no doubt that it's absolutely brilliant and pretty much without flaws or equal.

Good friend of mine had one for a few years, and as Dan said, its a great car, but my mate struggled to love his. He has a dark blue one, black 19" wheels, manual with the electronic dampers. I never drove it, but he took me out in it a fair bit, and the exhaust was more muted than what id like, and although its based on a 3 series, id makesure you treat it like a 40k+ sports car when it comes to running costs. He sold his 350Z for the M3, and always says he misses the 350Z, (as a car) and just says that he misses the noise of the M3. (but not really the car). He also had a few issues with his, but these things should have been sorted by previous owners if you got one.

The M3 is a decent car, but they are getting old theses days. I wouldn't touch one without a BMW AUC warranty.

My mate bought one after I bought my 335i, he sold it after 18 months. Running costs was one of the reasons he got rid of it....and his pockets are deeper than mine!!

I think his longterm average was 14mpg.

• Like 1

Is it really the appointment issue, or a hankering for a decent V8 engined car? No company car to use?

If it is the former there were times in my working life when turning up in a ZED would probably have not gone down too well. But then there were some clients who spent most of the appointment asking and enthusing about the ZED and that made the work 'deal' much easier :lol:. Otherwise, I would take our shopping trolly or if the misses was using it I would park away from the client's house ;) Sometimes finding what I thought be a safe parking spot was not always easy though.

If it is the V8 need, then I'll have to pass on that one having never owned one.........................to date.

E92 M3 is spectacular, but the IS-F, C63 and XF-R are all definitely worth a look as well.

I did look, and ended up with a 135i coupe that makes M3's look like they are standing still and feels a lot smaller so better for hustling :)

/crackedrecord :lol:

I myself between m3 and c63 amg !

When the time comes Ill drive them and make my choice..

In my opinion M3 is a great looker if you do some mods...stock exhaust is quite,but you can do exhaust mod for £170 and it will sound as good as replacement for £2000...Biggest problem is throttle actuators,but believe they can be fixed by some people for the third of replacement..Never drove one ,but people on m3 forum who went from manual to DCT saying its night and day!

Edited by Dashurik