Z Road noise....

GriffGTV

The Z is frequently criticized for this trait and even marque protective owners state that it is not ideal for long journeys because of this

It also appears true from roadtests that the 370 suffers even more from this, which is a huge shame when Nissan have made other attempts to make the car more comfortable.

Ok, I hear the argument that the Z is a budget 'raw' sportscar, however nobody enjoys tyre noise when cruising.

so what is the cause and how can it be alleviated?

Tyre choice? Profile, width? - anyone tried higher profile / narrower / lower Db rated brands?

Bushing? Anyone tried alternatives bushing more efficient at isolating NVH? - I am assuming poly bushing doesnt help with NVH

Are suspension components hollow, thus exasperating the issue?

Anyone tried Dynamatting - does that cure problem?

911s used to be awful for this (not sure about now) so the budget excuse doesnt wash - it is a design compromise and possibly one that can be tackled by a skilled Indi or simply masked with Dynomatting (not going to be so effective with the roadster)

I would happily lower the beak away cornering speed to reduce tyre roar - if its achieved by increasing profile / reducing width then it often allows more progressive break away and allows more adjustability at more acceptable road speeds - suitable spacers will compensate for any 'emasculation' in the stance department ;)

THe Lotus Elan Sprint, acknowledged as one of the sweetest handling cars....still is ...

Has 155x13 (80 Profile) tyres ... it also has similar power to weight and weight distribution...

Edited by GriffGTV

Utter, utter, utter b*llocks. The Zed is as quiet as you could reasonably expect: Sure, it's not Audi quiet, but then it's not Audi money.

I have no idea where this nonsense about it being too loud or it not being good for long journeys comes from.

Have you driven one yet to judge for yourself? We drive to SW France, return journey of nearly 1400 miles, yes there's some road noise but there is in almost every car. It doesn't bother me at all but then each to their own.

• Like 1

I think its pretty decent for long journeys to be honest, main thing is finding roads with decent tarmac. The newly resurfaced bits of the M5 and M1 are all perfectly quiet.

biggest cause will be the big empty bootspace with no separation from the passenger compartment. thicker carpets help, or dynamat the whole area as some members have done.

We do a 2-3k run to Italy every year, never have I felt the roadnoise was an issue and until this post had never even thought about it, we have the roadster and to be honest have only ever listened to the great sounding exhaust note. Roof up it quieter than our focus (in titanium trim), admittedly wind noise with the roof down is intrusive, but keeping it below 81 (European 130 kmh limit) means you can still have a conversation without shouting.

I have done 10hrs straight in it and not felt tired/fatigued from excessive noise levels, it was a run from Amalfi up to the French border so most of it was on motorways at speed, and we only stopped because we had somewhere booked, we could have easily carried on.

Don't know where the information came from but I'd try getting in a zed and make up your own mind before changing the setup that Nissan spent millions to develop. :)

• Like 1

ok....dont shoot the messenger! - Doing extensive research whilst going through laborious period of saving pennies and a common thread...from professional roadtesters to owners has been prevalent road noise - this being a pet hate (owned several Porsche) I decided to seek advice on fending off what would be a deterrent to ownership

I have done further research and tyre choice + alignment come in for criticism (front) and that Dynomat helps deal with rear wide tyre roar

Nobody here attacking the Z, simply spending time trying to optimize my choice :wacko:

Depends on your perspective; what vehicle you came from. I came from a Land Rover and an ST, both of which are noisy as hell on the motorway. So the Z is quiet to me. That, or the Landy has made me deaf.

But if you come from a Merc or Lexus, you may think the Z is pretty loud.

I drive a 15 plate Merc E220 at work, which is pretty quiet I guess. When I return it, and get in the Z, the noise has never occurred to me.

Edited by Juggalo

I've noticed that some tyres are louder than others, I have wider 35 profile Falken FK452 which are noisier than anything else I've tried. I think tyres like the FK452 which have a directional pattern tend to be louder though which I'm guessing is why they've fallen out of favour since the tyre labelling changed.

I'm not sure tyre noise would put me off buying any car I really wanted but if it's a concern for you then you could always buy some OEM 17" wheels (like these: NISSAN 350Z STAGGERED 17" ALLOY WHEELS DRIFT SKYLINE) and fit them with a quieter, less grippy 50 profile tyre like the Michelin Primacy 3. :)

I'd also read about road noise when researching before buying a 350. When I first went for a test drive, I was pleasantly surprised how quiet it was. I'd say it's no louder than any other car I've owned and considerably quieter than my TF, although that was a drop top.