Number plate removal

davetstan

Tks but how do you get heat behind the plate? Hairdryer from the sides? Will it not affect the paintwork?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hairdryer should be fine as ATTAK Z said. ;)

Just hold it on the plate and the heat will transfer through to the tape (glue) behind. Gently start at one end and with some gentle leverage it shouldn't be too difficult to pull off.

• Like 1

Remove the screws with screwdriver maybe?

For sticky double sided tapes, you may use heat (hot water or hair dryer) or use dental floss (make sure you use around 8 loops or more and "saw" your number plate off. Then lots of polish or "alcohol" to rub the rest off.

Once you are done, post a pic of your thumb :thumbs:B)

• Like 1

Fishing line works a treat on tape, but make sure you're "sawing" against the back of the plate and not the paint. Then get ready for the hard bit, shifting the residue, I used a tar/glue remover, but you don't need to go overboard if you don't want to - unless the plate is going back on in a different location.

Fishing line works a treat on tape, but make sure you're "sawing" against the back of the plate and not the paint. Then get ready for the hard bit, shifting the residue, I used a tar/glue remover, but you don't need to go overboard if you don't want to - unless the plate is going back on in a different location.

Tks a lot, will give the hair dryer a whirl and the dental floss / fishing wire if it proves a bugger to shift.

+1 just pulled the private plates off my beemer, then got busy with the wd40 to loosen the glue and scraped off the rest of the pad with a penknife.

my main concern was getting the area completely residue free so the new sticky pads would create good adhesion - but the new plates exactly covered up where the old ones were, so wasn't too worried about the finish.

Edited by brillomaster

I just pull the plates off on my cars, when they've been attached with sticky pads. I worry about the removal of the residue and half a pad when I can actually see it.

Yeah but you're ghetto, you probably arch roll with a baseball bat :lol:

• Like 1

I always cause damage when I do anything 😠plus I can't abide plates not perfectly straight so this way I will know it's done right.

Plus he's a top boy so will unlikely charge me 😄