Nissan Fairlady 350Z Auto, 11,000 Miles

Hi Ekona,

Bid price at the Japanese auction in Kobe was 7,200,000 Yen, so a good Zed is worth millions! :-)

That translates to about £5000 to get it onboard the ship.

As it stood that would amount to £7,900 ready to go on the road in the UK,

with a full year's road tax, MOT, speedo converted, derestricted etc and all fees, shipping insurance, import tax, VAT paid.

I guess a good UK model can be obtained for that price, but the object was not to save money,

but to get a good low mileage example without any rust.

If anybody is interested in importing a JDM model, then I recommend Paul Bowden at Japautoagent,

who has a wealth of experience and guides you through the process at every step on the way.

He came recommended to me by a mate at work who has used Paul a few times.

http://japautoagent.com/

Tel 01625 560505 and ask for Paul. You can mention me if you like.

I hope this helps everybody.

Oops, missed your reply, sorry!

That's not actually as bad as I thought it was going to be, y'know. I half expected you to say £12K or something daft! :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks all for your welcome messages. :)

My Zed is currently enjoying cruising in the Mediterranean, somewhere off Sardinia at the moment.

In the meantime I can start on some mods.

The first mod I will be making is to the airbox courtesy of Flyboy and a second-hand box from eBay.

I also bought some door cards off GT4 Zed, which I am hoping to cover in leather.

I also want to put new tyres on when it arrives.

Now at the risk of starting a tyre war (I have read a lot of threads searching), I’m looking for tyre sizes (not brands) that will fit my rims without rubbing the arches and that are not prone to aquaplaning in the wet. This Zed will be a daily driver and there is frequently a lot of standing water on the M58.

Wheels are:

RAYS Volk Racing GT-7

Front: 18 x 8j + 37 offset

Rear: 18 x 9j + 38 offset – so slightly wider than stock.

Stock size tyres will fit at Front: 225/45 x 18 and Rear: 245/45/18, but can I go bigger without aquaplaning?

E,g. Front: 235/45 x 18 and Rear; 255 or 275/45 x 18??

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a happy bunny. My car has been key scratched down one side in the shipyard at Newcastle :-(

The mechanics from the MOT garage up there noticed it, when they went to pick it up.

I've no idea as yet of the extent of the damage, but it looks like I will be needing some recommendations for paint refinishers in the Lancashire area.

I'm not a happy bunny. My car has been key scratched down one side in the shipyard at Newcastle :-(

The mechanics from the MOT garage up there noticed it, when they went to pick it up.

I've no idea as yet of the extent of the damage, but it looks like I will be needing some recommendations for paint refinishers in the Lancashire area.

WHAT!! You have to be kidding me, will the shipping insurance not cover that?

Such an awesome example - shame about jealous idiots around!

I work in the shipping industry - before you collect the car the you need to put your forwarder on notice for the damage - don't take any crap about no liability which they will try - get used to the term we accept no responsibility or liability - its the standard answer to all damage claims initially - also speak to a marine surveyor as they will be able to tell you how recent the damage is and how it was caused ie accidental or deliberate keying - if deliberate - call the cops to open a crime file. Don't forget your contract is the organisation person you paid to bring in the car so they are the person you need to to address the letter of protest. The carrier has a duty of care for the cargo and if that's not delivered in good condition you can claim damages from them on the grounds of negligence by them or their appointed contractors. PM me if you need more advice Maritime Law is a bit different to the law you are used to - Rob

Edited by Mudman
  • Like 2

Good words of advice from Mudman there - all I remember when talking to importers was that I had the right to reject up to the moment I signed on the dotted line and took the keys off them at their office in the UK. Take MMs advice and dont accept the car as is.

Good words of advice from Mudman there - all I remember when talking to importers was that I had the right to reject up to the moment I signed on the dotted line and took the keys off them at their office in the UK. Take MMs advice and dont accept the car as is.

The clue is in the name Japautoagent, who are acting as an agent not a supplier. The car was paid for in Japan to get it on the boat. The video of my car was taken when it was dropped off at the yard in Japan, proving it was ok at that point. The Japanese supplier is now reqesting the loading report from the shipping company. If it happened in transit, then I have full cargo insurance until it left the dockyard in Newcastle.

Yes thats the same as with any company like Torque GT or JM Imports as I understand it, they purchase the car in Japan, I put down a depost (£500) then I have the right to reject or get repairs done by them if it arrives in a different state to what it was in when it was bought in Japan, are Japautoagent not taking the responsibility here then?

Yes thats the same as with any company like Torque GT or JM Imports as I understand it, they purchase the car in Japan, I put down a depost (£500) then I have the right to reject or get repairs done by them if it arrives in a different state to what it was in when it was bought in Japan, are Japautoagent not taking the responsibility here then?

Hi Perhaps i didn't explain that well enough. The invoice was addressed to me from the Japanese supplier and I paid it.

Here is the only photo we have of the damage, which is now said to be confined to the door.

It's not very good quality, so I don't know if any conclusions can be made as to how to fix this.

post-25972-0-23967200-1440102448_thumb.jpg

Edited by GrahameJ

Here is the only photo we have of the damage, which is now said to be confined to the door.

It's not very good quality, so I don't know if any conclusions can be made as to how to fix this.

If it was an accidental scratch as in someone catching it as they walked past fair enough but that's definitely deliberate

Jealous D..k heads

Good luck with getting it sorted

• 2 months later...

Finally got the door repainted to get rid of the key scratch. The painter re-sprayed the door, blending into the wings, and then clear coated the whole side with lacquer. It looks a good job to my eyes so I'm happy now.

I did attempt to airbrush out the scratch myself, but this left an interesting hologram effect under my clear coat due to the slightly different shades in the silver base coat paint.

So at this point I went to a Pro! :-)

Other mods - Yes it does have a stubby now courtesy of TarmacSportz.

Excellent reception on Radio 2, but nothing much else due to the JDM radio.

I now have a Sony Bluetooth DAB radio ready to fit, once I have figured out how to remove the A pillar trims without braking them.

I can't find a video of the Zed, but most other cars show the trim removed by pulling from the top to remove them.

I also have a cushioned leather pad on the rear of the centre console.

It stops my elbow from hitting the auto gearbox mode switch, and unexpectedly turning on Snow mode.

post-25972-0-17505100-1445895590_thumb.jpg