A tad bit confused..

thomrhodes

... well, kind'a..

So I'm slowly narrowing down which Zed I'm wanting to get and there's one that's just popped up for sale literally 30 minuets away from me (stock, so I'll be spending some money on giving it a bit of "Thom Tuning" ;):stir: )

The Zed is a Jap import, semi-auto. It's registered in the UK with a full service history (even have the paperwork from when it was in Japan!) however when looking at the logbook that the trader has supplied me it states that it's a (Imported) Nissan 350Z.

Unless Sky Insurance (which I understand to be the best place to be insured for when it comes to Zed's and 21 year old drivers) get back to me with an awesome quote I'll be utilising a 25% discount with Tesco (long story; out of court settlement) with their smart box thingy insurance which leads me to my predicament... Do I insure it as a Fairlady or a 350z? (wheel :teeth:) Bearing in mind that they will come out and see the car while they fit a box.

I won't be tearing it up in the car and I'll only be using it on the weekends so the box monitoring crapola' doesn't bother me).

Thanks in advance guys!

Mine is a 2003 JDM import, I insure it as a 350Z because that was the model offered by the insurer when I first went through the insurance process as that is the designated model definition in the UK. The car is however recorded as an import under the policy, which I believe covers all the requirements my insurance company required. I have also declared, to my knowledge, all modifications on the car.

seriously ............ you want to put a monitoring box in a zed !!!!

Only because it'll be as cheap as chips and I don't care for what they monitor; I'll be driving how I please and when it comes to renewing I'll go with another insurance company.

Mine is a 2003 JDM import, I insure it as a 350Z because that was the model offered by the insurer when I first went through the insurance process as that is the designated model definition in the UK. The car is however recorded as an import under the policy, which I believe covers all the requirements my insurance company required. I have also declared, to my knowledge, all modifications on the car.

Thanks for that, that was helpful. I'll most likely do the same, just ensure that I know every modification prior to buying and kitting it myself.

do not put a monitoring box in your Z.... please god man.

just keep searching for better insurance costs

A: - You put in your reg, and accept what model the reg says it is, I.e. Fairlady,GT etc.

B: - Buy a KA if you're going to put a box in this.

See above. :-)

Likelihood is I'll go with Sky when they call back tomorrow.

seriously ............ you want to put a monitoring box in a zed !!!!

Only because it'll be as cheap as chips and I don't care for what they monitor; I'll be driving how I please and when it comes to renewing I'll go with another insurance company.

Thanks for that, that was helpful. I'll most likely do the same, just ensure that I know every modification prior to buying and kitting it myself.

do not put a monitoring box in your Z.... please god man.

just keep searching for better insurance costs

A: - You put in your reg, and accept what model the reg says it is, I.e. Fairlady,GT etc.

B: - Buy a KA if you're going to put a box in this.

See above. :-)

Likelihood is I'll go with Sky when they call back tomorrow.

With that statement, I'm guessing you have no idea how the black boxes work then.

Theres very little point to purchasing a Z if you have to drive it like a KA due to the box. Why not just buy a KA if you have to drive it like a KA anyway and save up some more for the following year?

Edited by Sargara

Indeed, please check the wording of your policy. Most will monitor and charge you more should they think the risk is higher than stated.

As for your question, put down what you can prove with official documentation: That is, what it says on the V5C. If it says 350Z on there, then put down 350Z. That way, if it ever goes to court and you're asked to prove what it is you have a letter from a government agency proving that. Alternatively, tell the insurer the situation on the phone and let them decide, but you'll be paying more for an import I suspect.

• Like 1

Give Chris Knott a call - support the forum traders and all that - mines 2003 JDM insured as as a Fairlady 350Z

Black box ? hope you like using 3 gears ;)

• Like 1

My dad has black box fitted as he's retired and never in a rush to get anywhere.

He drives a seven seater to ferry around grandchildren etc but still gets monthly reports occasionally warning that despite not speeding his rate of braking or acceleration are starting to put him in a higher risk.

If he can inadvertently do this in a 2.5 litre diesal powered seven seater I can only imagine how easily it would be done in a Zed just keeping up with the flow of surrounding traffic.

Not trying to say the black boxes are wrong just to be extra gentle with braking/accelerating as well as speed.

• Like 1

Agree with headphones,

My company car has a monitoring system, it allocates points for speed over 70 mph, hard cornering, braking and accelerating. It is very hard not to rack up points even using cruise control and driving like Miss Daisy.

The plus side is evidence should anything go wrong, improved mpg and tyre life and for me much easier reporting of personal mileage.

Think seriously about putting one in a z any transgression could hike your premium as it might see you as an increased risk, this will also impact on your enjoyment of the car. But if it's what you need to do then do it.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your z

Thom, I honestly think that you will find getting insured with Tesco, using their black box device. Has such an impact on your insurance premiums within a matter of a couple of months (if not weeks) of driving a Zed, that any discount offered will be rendered worthless due to your risk profile increasing so rapidly. The question I would ask is this, is this the right time for you to be buying a 350Z if you're having to consider the cost implications of insurance so carefully?

Edited by Bockaaarck

If you have a 'black box' fitted to a Zed and you sneeze whilst driving along, it will cost you hundreds........

Nice piece of kit when it comes to the insurance company having any excuse to not pay you out because you were doing 31mph in a 30mph limit.

My god man! Doesn't anyone think ahead!!!

• Like 1