Jump to content

Chris`I

Ex Team Member
  • Posts

    24,812
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chris`I

  1. Women dont seem to understand HT do they. I repent about 2 grand on KEF speakers a few years back and came home the other week to find my missus had "rearranged" the living room, thus moving all my carefully set out speakers. I had spent hours making sure they were positioned correctly for my sitting position and adjusting the levels. She just doesnt understand the concept of cinema sound. Then had the cheek to say she couldnt tell the difference and would rather we sold them as they are big and ugly and just had the sound from the telly. WTF!!!!!! I think its just her, because all my mates keep saying how awesome they sound, and even the cat seemed impressed watching Rambo 4 at high volume the other night whilst the missus was away. Mine are screwed to the wall to avoid these problems To be fair Amanda is very good when it comes to this stuff and loves our home cinema. She just hadnt put 1 and 1 together when I said they were an upgrade with better sound that they'd need to be bigger. They are mainly deeper than the current ones, not so much taller or wider, so from the sofa I'm sure they wont appear much different. Just need some better mounting screws as the old speakers were less than 1kg and the new ones are 2kg!
  2. Ride in Peace Dane, we are truely not worthy
  3. I assume she didnt pay for it all as well? My crimbo pressent to myself was collected last night - Kef 2005.3 surround system courtesy of DoogyRev Just need to fit it all up, cant reuse the mouting points for my old Kefs so will need to do some house destruction tonight
  4. RJN who run the team have been doing it for years with the 350z and a few years with the 370z so really know their stuff. Shame NMGB dont run any press stuff we can get involved with Toby
  5. Very nice sir
  6. Kefs will be going up tonight. They are quite a bit bigger than the 1005's they replace, not sure Amanda approves. Just wait til she hears them though Now someone buys Jims amp, its a great bit of kit and you couldnt be helping a nice guy. Plus you might get a sneaky peak at the calendar which has just been proofed
  7. Might want to count again - I make it 5 Lmao pic 3 was checking out the tyre model when I looked at it lmao. Fail I did have to double take myself thinking WTF it does only have 4
  8. Might want to count again - I make it 5
  9. Best do it before the snow sets in too much and you cant get out
  10. Did I miss the pics?
  11. Digsy still kicks around now and again, and Sarnie threatens to get a 370z when they hit some magical price he has in his head. Sure theres a few other oldies that I dont remember that still lurk.
  12. A queen for a queen eh? We'll see what you're like when yours arrives - if it hasnt already? Was out in the cold weather yesterday, but having been kept in the garage, it didnt need defrosting. Stick the heated seats on and away you go
  13. I used to run an old credit/debit card down the lower seal which freed it up on the 350z. The '70 is a garage queen so dont have that problem now
  14. Also be careful with these invisible sensors as the big ass crash beam can play havok with them
  15. The switchbacks I posted are from the summer, looking the opposite way to Andy's switchback photo. Same place, one summer, one winter
  16. Chris`I

    40 Profile

    Get on a tyre size calc site. Stick in the OEM tyre size and then the new tyre size and compare. You want to aim as much for as little difference as possible. http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator.htm Front: 660mm - 225/45/18 (OEM) 654mm - 245/35/19 (New wheel) 6mm difference or 0.91% Front: 678mm - 245/45/18 (OEM) 675mm - 275/35/19 (New wheel - stretched a bit?) 682mm - 285/35/19 (New wheel - not stretched?) 3mm difference or 0.44% OR 4mm or 0.59% respectively for 275 and 285 Sorry I was refering to the "most members" bit. Agreed that your tyre sizes are fine, thats what I said in my first reply, that you dont have a problem as your tyres sizes are fine. The point I was making was to the OP and that you cant blindly put 40 profiles on, you need to understand the relationship first, which no one has explained. People usually come unstuck by not understanding this and just swapping tyres willy nilly
  17. Chris`I

    40 Profile

    People keep the OEM sizes as thats what Nissan fit and it keeps the speedo correct. The car does not give a fig what size tyres you are running, what it cares about is the relation of the radius of the front wheel when compared to the rear. If you keep that relationship as it expects then the TCS will be happy, stray from its programmed size and it will have a fit. Many people fail to comprehand the relationship between wheel size (diameter of tyre), width and profile. All of them affect the radius of the tyre. So saying "fit a 40 profile and you'll be fine" is not right unless you specify the right width for the given diameter (in this case 18"). The problem many fall for is they fit tyres with the same radius front and rear. Then the car thinks the rear wheel is spinning faster than it is all the time, so TCS kicks in. The rear tyres radius needs to remain larger than the front so the car thinks they are spinning at the same speed. You could fit 15's if you wanted so long as the relationship front to rear remains (forgetting they wont fit over the brakes)
  18. Chris`I

    40 Profile

    No, for every 100 it reads on the clock you will have done ~96, so at 1000 miles, you'll have really done 960
  19. Chris`I

    40 Profile

    Think it made my speedo over-read by a couple of MPH. Between 245/45/18 and 245/40/18 there is a 25mm difference, or ~3.7%
  20. Looking at this logically, I can see what they were trying to compare. Historically, the performance of the Zed could not be matched by an off the shelf hot hatch. They wanted to see if this "new" one could give better performance. And around the wet track it did, so it won. Lest not forget the 370z is a GT car and a damn quick one at that. I would and have happily drive it across the continent, no way you'd do that in your souped up Renault. So yes the Renault is quicker in the wet but the Zed has a lot more to offer. One interesting point they made which I agreed on is the Zed has a tendancy to understeer quite a bit before getting into oversteer mode. I'm sure this is for safety reasons and a good alignment could sort it out, but I think it does let the car down a bit. Also, as they didnt give it to the Zed, it means other numpties watching Fifth Gear wont be running out to buy one so we can keep it a bit rarer
  21. Chris`I

    40 Profile

    Running 245/45/18 and 235/40/18 on the front no problems whats so ever. Ive done more than 20k miles on them too. Im replacing them for 225/40/18s as they are a hell of a lot cheaper. I personally havent found any of this traction control problems alot of people bang on about. Maybe my car is different? Clearly you've never understoon any of the posts I've made explaining how TC works then? You are not finding any problem as your difference in percentage terms of rolling radius front to rear keeps the stagger that the TCS expects. Should you run tyres with the same rolling radius front to rear you will understand what we are talking about. As for the OPs original question, yes you can run a 40 profile. I did on my 18s on the 350z as Falkens have somewhat soggy sidewalls and I was recommended to do so. You need to keep the OEM front to rear stagger in rolling radius though. So use 40 profile all round and you'll be fine AFAIK, but keep to staggered widths such as 225F and 245R.
  22. Blimey mate! That looks like a bit of a mission - and more worringly looks like you werent the only ones to have that idea! To give the others an idea of what its meant to look like - switchbacks (looking other way)
  23. Wow, thats pretty impressive. Hope its been designed for the 14v that may be delivered through the cig lighter though Import perhaps? They only have the rear one IIRC. Should have got a UK car
  24. When I got my 18" Rotas from BigPhil he stepped down the profile from the standard to get around this. Seemed to work well for me, never had any complaints. Think I was running 40 profile rather than 45 profile. Obvoiusly the speedo was overreading, but thats no bad thing sometimes!
  25. Pff you could get the Zed up there Mr AK One day we'll move up there with you and I can come out to play on days like these
×
×
  • Create New...