Jump to content

coldel

Ex Team Member
  • Posts

    14,064
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by coldel

  1. If you can get a forum member to look over it it does help - inspections on older cars is expensive, I had a very quick look on the RAC site I think they would ask around £300 to do it!
  2. PS, seen a few links to Boys Toys, would avoid them like the plague (used to be called Paul Browns Cars) - there was a lot of talk on the Supra forums around the problems they were causing customers and it almost got the to the point of legal proceedings. They are a paint shop by trade, so you can only imagine what they 'cover up' when the cars come in.
  3. coldel

    The R33

    As you said, it isn't really noticeable - and that marginal lag is a fair trade off to get all the nice extra power especially once the EBC is fitted.
  4. Some of the older pre-R32 ones, in good nick, are going at around the £40k mark! Pretty sure they will only appreciate. You have to really check the things over for rust, strut tops, sills etc and also run your hand under the boot lip below the rear screen as leaks are common there. Like most Jap cars really. Buy an R33 and make it go 1000bhp - and don't worry, the R33 is a real Skyline despite rumours to the contrary
  5. Just make sure you have listed all mods with the insurers - most insurers are looking for cat 1 thatcham alarms and if you already have it then you are about as covered in that area as you can be. Just use plenty of common sense in addition i.e. dont park in dark corners of car parks, leave car keys on the window sill in the front of your house etc etc!
  6. Its because insurers use outdated and process poor techniques for working out the numbers, ironically it is impossible to properly determine causality, you can use basic correlations to make associations but it doesn't necessarily mean two things correlating strongly are actually driving each other, it is often a multitude of other factors.
  7. Just tried that one, it now puts me two brackets away from the other one...hmmm
  8. coldel

    The R33

    I drove both, with the R34 side and the larger front mount - admittedly there were minor differences between the two cars i.e. bov's but the front mount was definitely quicker and not creating extra lag?
  9. We need a few sub-car-clubs now haha
  10. If its in the garage the potential thieves wont know its there unless of course they have the new zx septum blaster with xray vision attachment If someone is going to nick an expensive car they will do the ground work first - stake it out, and take it. Its not difficult and said tech is not required.
  11. Yes, I'm sure there are loads of other influencing factors, I thought it was interesting nonetheless. I'm in NG2 which is more or less in the middle of the risk scale according to this: http://www.carinsura...-risk-list.html Not sure how accurate this is? Any insurer I went to said my postcode was one of the safer ones, but this puts me at E?
  12. Being on a driveway or in a garage means its very obvious where the keys are stored, potential thieves then wait till the house is empty, raid it for the keys and simply drive off with an undamaged car, hence the insurance premiums...I would have thought?
  13. Would have loved a TT Supra, although talk on the forums is that more and more owners are going for the NAs and 'charging them for better results. Evo you are looking at 4k interval miles servicing, the chef in my local had one which had a few mods and he had no end of problems with it spent more time in the garage than parked in the pub car park, he swapped it for a peddle bike in the end. Impreza is the chav-mobile of the UK. Nissan 300zx TT - looks stunning, but might lack reliability, maybe. You could maybe go for something like a BMW 335i twin turbo, get that mapped and you are looking at frightening levels of power but on a newer car - just means getting what outwardly looks like a rep mobile. Just a note, check your insurance quotes on the Skylines, they are top prices especially if you are used to paying 350z prices.
  14. coldel

    The R33

    You still running the side mount intercooler? Getting a larger front mount in makes the world of difference.
  15. Nice one mate good purchase!
  16. Yup it's purely the cost of buying it, not so worried about running costs but not sure I can justify £40 - £50k sitting outside depreciating I managed less than 3000 miles in my Zed last year and that includes Wales. It is on my list though - I have done the 911, which was my aim before 40 I have built a custom Jap another box ticked, I still love playing with the 350's (and it looks like I will be doing another complete rebuild soon) But I would like to say I had owned a GTR before I get to the "otherside" I also like the 370 and that is more affordable not the right word - justifiable I suppose, but my 350 will out run any stock 370 so it sort of becomes doing it because you can not because I want to - and besides I'd soon spend enough on the 370 to make up the difference to a GTR anyway The truth is I don't need a car the problem is I am a petrol head and WANT REALLY REALLY WANT a car if you know what I mean? So, you want something that you can play with, won't depreciate much and can kick the bitches ass? There is imply one option in my opinion. A late R34 GTR! They're just under £30k for a near on perfect example and prices are rising. Engine is easily tunable to well over 600hp and when you're finished with it in 3/5 years, you could sell it for the same, if not more than you paid for it and buy the R35 with money left over Kyle has the right idea for sure, you could build something epic and not lose any money. Or maybe the 33 GTR but im unsure how they hold value R33 is a boat (compared to the others!) and the values reflect that, they're going down compared to the other two "real" Skylines Having been watching skyline prices for the last 6 months or so, they are actually ALL going up, the 32 more than the other two. R33s are about 50% higher than this time last year for equivalent cars for instance. The dynamics you have in play are that R32s are now cult and 20 years old, R34s were limited run cars and pretty rare and more than half are tiptronics. R33s were produced in higher numbers - the engine is arguably better than the R32 but the Neo is definitely better in the R34s although a lot more temperamental once tuned. Weight wise there is something like 100kgs difference between the R32 and R33, but the R33 was set up as a GT car (and everyone on here knows what that discussion is like) whereas the R32 is more of a touring car type machine. You buy them on their merits really. I bought the R33 because it looks better in my opinion, its newer, more comfortable to be in and use everyday etc. Having had a play with a few bits on the R33 I have to say its very easy to tinker with, a lot less stress than the Zed ever was!
  17. coldel

    The R33

    It is a GTS-T, with regards to pace, I think they are about on par. My one has a few aftermarket bits and has been on the dyno running 278bhp, it does feel fast. It is a different speed sensation though, the Zed almost lazily makes is way where-as this the R33 relies on the sudden boost pick up of the turbo. The advantages of a turbo though are clear with regards to tuning, you can safely push the standard internals up to 330bhp on the standard turbo and up to 400bhp with an uprated turbo in much cheaper terms compared to an NA.
  18. I think we all know what you mean mate - as part of a husband and wife team with a 2 year old child, we didn't need a second car, we certainly didn't NEED an R33 But good god its great to be able to go out and drive a fantastic sports car isn't it! If it's what floats your boat!
  19. I will turn you all ha ha ha haaaaa Sorry back on topic - have heard this and seen this kit up close, stunning piece of kit, bargain to be had for someone
  20. coldel

    The R33

    Haha genius!
  21. Unfortunately there are too many traders that trade in the today and have no eye on tomorrow. They think all is sweet and rosey at the moment, so why bother using this fandangled email thing. These are also the traders we should not have sympathy for when they go under complaining of being undercut by online offers, people changing purchasing habits etc.
  22. Just as an aside, whereabouts are you based? I got a Nilfisk I bought on recommendation for my Zed, I think I used it about three times on both the patio and the car. If you are close-by you can take it off me for a very reasonable price its just sat in the loft unused for the last 18 months or so. With regards to pressure, I never sprayed my car direct with a pressure washer, literally stood back and used it for rinsing.
  23. Snow foam is this >>>
  24. coldel

    The R33

    Hmmmm, might leave it then, it doesn't bother me that much to start melting stuff Car is booked in at TGM for later in the month to get the side skirts repaired, I am going to keep the ones I have rather than go to the faff of all the work involved in putting some other ones on. Next stop, sorting out the head unit, which is a bit crap. I have burnt a CD to play in it but it has no AUX or USB input, Halfords seem to be doing some decent deals at the moment (ie half price on Sony/Pioneer).
×
×
  • Create New...