Guys...Alloy wheels I need help

trancematic

Right guys I'm in the market for some new alloys for my 350z,when I bought it about 15 months ago it had some custom Jade/R alloys on it with 245 on the front and 275 /45r18 on the rear.

Because the tyres in my opinion were absolute pants and budget tyres i decided to by some Mitchelin super sports but the correct tyre sizes 225/45R18 front and 245/45/R18 rear.

Now when they proceeded to put the new tyres on the rims the tyre fitter looked a little bemused and called his gaffer,the tyres looked completely stretched due to the size of thes alloys which I'm guessing where around 9.5 .

Now I have a spacer problem on the rear which has rusted and corroded,these come in sets of 2,if I buy 1 set I'm going to want to buy them all round which is around £200.

Now I have seen sets of alloys for £500 so what I need to know is what are the correct size alloys for the tyres I have which once purchased and tyres put on them won't look stretched.

Is it 8 on the front and 9 on the rear ,I'm sticking with R18.

Thanks in advance.

If you want to use the tyres you have already but don't want any stretch on them you should stick to the OEM sizes of 8.0J fronts and 8.5J rears. Anything wider will mean you will have to have a bit of stretch

I'm slightly confused...

I think what you are saying is you bought the correct size tyres for standard OEM Rays?

But these don't fit your Jade alloys (because my guess is they are wider than Rays)

If you like the Jade alloys, sell the wrong size tyres you bought, and then fit the correct size tyres for your Jade wheels.

• Like 1

Yes you are correct I don't like the Jade/R alloy wheels and yes in my ignorance I bought what was the correct sized tyres for the car which don't exactly sit nice on these rims .

That is not the only problem ,the spacer is corroded and if I replace 1 I would much prefer to replace the 4 , so given the cost is £200 for the 4 spacers and They want to know the spacer measurements it's an ideal opportunity to get myself a set of new alloys instead

What Lexx said. It looks like you looked up the correct tyre sizes for the standard Rays, without realising that your wheels are slightly wider.

So, a. sell tyres and buy wider ones or b. sell wheels and buy Rays to fit tyres.

If you can return the 225's and swap for 265 or 275, then this would be the better option IMHO. The 245's should be OK on the fronts! :thumbs:

Lexx,sorry for the confusion,I'm not really interested in the mechanics of what a car is all about,just like driving decent cars,so in that respect I'm completely

I did notice that the car had really wide tyres on which were in extremely bad condition,so I cam on here asking for the correct front and rear tyre sizes completely not thinking that those size tyres were on those rims for a reason.

So my stupidly,besides these Jade/R alloys are a little scuffed so it's a much easier option to buy the correct sized alloys.

Grundy you should avoid commenting on these types of threads to avoid conflict :lol: Suppose its not bad now they are on the car now! ( and look good :thumbs: )

I thought I saw someone selling Jade R alloys for £800 on here a while back. You should try and get a set of runners and sell the alloys and put it with your £500 and get a decent set of alloys. I wish I waited with mine tbh.

Now I'm confused with the previous poster telling me I need spacers for 8 and 8.5 rims,I actually thought these were the standard sizes judging by what you guys said.

Would prefer to buy alloys that fitted the hubs without spacers if I'm honest

Edited by trancematic

Now I'm confused with the previous poster telling me I need spacers for 8 and 8.5 rims,I actually thought these were the standard sizes judging by what you guys said.

Would prefer to buy alloys that fitted the hubs without spacers if I'm honest

8J and 8.5J are the standard rim sizes for Rays alloys ~ the Rays alloys tend to sit a little inward on the Zed so a lot of people buy spacers to make them sit outwards to make them fill the arch gap more.

Well I just be informed by Alloywheels.com that finding after market alloys of 8 on the front and 8.5 on the back is basically impossible according to these guys.

He is telling me that 9 on the rear is fine and the tyres won't look stretched .

Think I will just swap the car ......Lol

If you were to get 8 and 8.5 inch width wheels to match the Rays, as they have an offset of 30 on the front and 33 on the rear, people tend to put a 20mm and 25mm spacer on effectively making these wheels have an offset of 10 and 8. So you'd be looking for a set of aftermarkets with offsets of around 10.

If you went to 8.5 and 9 inch rear wheel (keeping it staggered and not stretching the tyres too much) the offsets would be similar hovering around 5-10ish I reckon.

Who the heck buys new aftermarket wheels only to put spacers on?!

It might be worth considering a set of Rays, as not only are they cheap but they're also very light, which means that your will improve in the following areas:

Handling

Braking

Acceleration

Fuel economy (minimal on this one though!)

Worth bearing in mind.

• Like 2