350z - Spinning sound from clutch when in neutral !

timb2010

Hi all,

I got home today and popped my car into neutral. When I took my foot off the sound there was a weird spinning sound. When I press the clutch in the sound sounds like something is slowing, getting quieter and stop in 1/2secs?

With the clutch pressed no sound? Sounds like it is coming from the gearstick area not under the bonnet. Not too loud but noticeable!!

Has anyone any idea what this could be please?

Please help!!!

Cheap part change it yourself ;)

It may just need greasing - Only a matter of dropping the gearbox out :thumbs:

Yes you can drive on it - if it seizes it will make a horid noise and start damaging the pressure plate (assuming it is the release bearing)

It will probably get worse.

EDIT: Most would say put a new clutch kit in her but that depends on mileage done etc

Edited by Keyser

Arrr you were joking hehe..

Gutted. I'm not sure the noise has always been there or I just noticed it today.

Everything I've searched on here seem to have the problem when they press the clutch not when its out. Can It happen either way? Thank you again

Edited by timb2010

To be honest if its noisy when it's out - and stays noisy as in not just for a few seconds after you come off the clutch then it could be fly and or clutch

Your not running a single mass fly or aftermarket clutch are you?

The bearing can drag a bit and if it gets dry it will make a noise - if you get the noise when you press the clutch it is the bearing on it's way out.

Only half joking - I do mine on axel stands in the garage. :)

No idea on the clutch I would guess standard.

I have been reading more and more saying its a trait of the Zed!! Might wait till I meet someone else with a zed and see what there's sounds like. I.might just be nervous as first day on the road.

Thanks for the advise. Can't afford a clutch/flywheel install. Really cant . 350 insurance and 280 tax on top of the car purchase

To be honest if its noisy when it's out - and stays noisy as in not just for a few seconds after you come off the clutch then it could be fly and or clutch

Your not running a single mass fly or aftermarket clutch are you?

The bearing can drag a bit and if it gets dry it will make a noise - if you get the noise when you press the clutch it is the bearing on it's way out.

Only half joking - I do mine on axel stands in the garage. :)

I thought you used Buster to rest the car on!

Or is that only when he is sleeping on the job :)

With the clutch out (foot off the pedal) the clutch bearing is not turning.

However the gearbox first motion shaft, flywheel and clutch are turning so the noise will more than likely be from the front gearbox bearing or perhaps the DMF or clutch pilot bearing..

All parts are in stock to fix this issue and good to go same/next day.

Just drop me a PM if I can help you further.

Alex. :)

Edited by ZMANALEX

I was just saying that as I think the thred is confused. I believe that noise to be normal. However a spinning sound that then stops half a second later doesn't sound like this which is what the OP asked about.

hi there,

My spinning stay on all the time when in neutral with the clutch up. Only when I put my foot down on the clutch does the spinning sound stop after a sec maybe 2 at a push. Sounds like something whirring down and stopping.

I tried to show someone today and they couldn't hear it! So hoping this is a "Free added extra" to the Zed and not a problem!

Timb2010: Please refer to my post #11 mate.

The gearbox first motion shaft, flywheel and clutch will all stop turning when you press the clutch in and that is why the noise stops.

As stated previously, the noise will more than likely be from the front gearbox bearing or perhaps the DMF or clutch pilot bearing.

Alex. :)

Edited by ZMANALEX

Mines since I bought it a year ago has made a slight noise on when you come off the clutch but dies away after a few secs, had it for ages its been in a decent garage twice and not heard a bad thing about it. The Zed can make a good few noises (clatter if your off the clutch too quick, that noise im on about, clunky shift from 1st to second when cold etc) so just make sure it def needs changed. The Zeds a dead mechanical kinda car, nothings really smooth about it lol There may be plenty of life left in it, but...as with anything we can't really tell unless someone sees/hears it also.

Hope its nothing too bad mate!

Edited by AMT

• 2 years later...

Thanks Alex.

As everyone else seems to have this noise aswell are you also saying that you suspect that all is good with the Zed?

Issue: Spinning noise from below gearbox area when clutch pedal released (when sat still in neutral) noise spins down and goes away within a second of pressing the clutch pedal down.

My Experience:

My last '04 had this,

My current '04 had this, it continued to have this even after the clutch and flywheel was changed (Excedy DMF clutch kit, similar to OEM, not sport)

I was recently at H-Dev for brake and suspension job, I showed him the noise whilst I was there, he said that it's normal for 305z.

My Conclusion (based on my experience and other people iv'e spoken to) Is that this is a normal zed noise and nothing to be concerned about.

Edited by DarmoZ