A quick update on my electric Nissan :)

gangzoom

So I thought I update on the progress of the Leaf.

About to start my 4th month of ownership, 1500 miles done, and my driving technique has got better, so now averaging 5 miles per kWh - so 100 mile range per charge to 100%.

19150648296_b541c37252_c.jpg

Charging the car itself has been pretty painless, I continue to get most of my charging done at free public stations. So far I’ve used about £8 of my own electricity, having said that, even if I did all my re-charging at home the total cost would have been about £50, so about 1 tank of fuel for our old Honda Civic.

19157545756_b4b2b560b4_c.jpg

It's interesting to see at this years Nissan's annual shareholder meeting, despite the Leaf only making up a handful of sale for Nissan at the moment, the only two actual cars on display, flanking the CEO were two Leafs....So it's a clear sign as possible regarding what the future of motoring is for Nissan. An electric Z car / GTR is surely on the cards...

2015-Nissan-Ordinary-General-Meeting-Plus-LEAF-2.jpg

It looks like Nissan already have a 'development' Leaf capable of hitting 250 miles in the real world, given the Leaf is not big enough to accommodate a massive battery pack like the Tesla, these advances must be due to increased battery density/better efficiency.

Biggest news that they promise to show the 'first step' later this year - So this all but confirms a 30kWh Leaf - which should have a real world range of 100 miles even in cold/non-ideal conditions verus the 70-80 miles of the current car. Given the Leaf doesnt look like it's changing its shape anytime soon, I hope Nissan will offer existing owners (such as my self) a option to 'upgrade' the batter pack when the existing battery pack loss capacity. If they did this, you could potentially never need to buy another car, just a new battery pack every 100K+ or so, which at the moment is priced at £5K and I suspect the price wil drop as battery pack production ramps up even more.

Nissan Leaf With 250-Mile Range: Ghosn Shows R&D Car, Video At Annual Meeting

I've said this many times before....But this really is a exciting time if your into cars, I cannot remeber any time since I've been driving where so many new revloutionary techonlogies are coming so quickly….The Leaf is my 4th Nissan, and once it goes back to the finance company 2017 I would love to replace it with another Nissan EV. But some how I just cannot see how Nissan (or anyone else) can come up with a product to market by 2017 that can touch a the Model S in terms of appeal. Given a 12 month old £90K+ P85+ can already be bought for £65K second hand (Tesla don't do discounts off the list price, so that's a true '£30K' depreciation in 12 month) - A 2 year old 691bhp Model S for £55K will be very very hard for me to ignore come 2017 :surrender:

18743442278_ef599fcb94_c.jpg

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

It's interesting to see at this years Nissan's annual shareholder meeting, despite the Leaf only making up a handful of sale for Nissan at the moment, the only two actual cars on display, flanking the CEO were two Leafs....So it's a clear sign as possible regarding what the future of motoring is for Nissan. An electric Z car / GTR is surely on the cards...

which should have a real world range of 100 miles even in cold/non-ideal conditions verus the 70-80 miles of the current car.

I've said this many times before....But this really is a exciting time if your into cars

so that's a true '£30K' depreciation in 12 month

I am bored and its Sunday so:

Its not interesting, its called marketing that they put their "green" cars on display, possibly to try and boost as you say a "handful of sales" As for an electric z car or gtr, its not Aprils fool day is it, NIssan are not that daft :)

An extra 20 miles, well that makes all the difference then.........

If your into cars and therefore driving, there is absolutely nothing exciting about it!

30k depreciation in 12 months, doesnt a 30+ % hit tell you something about the market place? A friend of mine had a SLS AMG for 18 months and lost 10k, maybe thats a clue too!

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

These are your thoughts, I like to disagree.....Anyways it's my own money I'm spending, so you should feel smug I'm been such an idiot :p

BTW....if you look at the numbers Nissan and Renault have invested $5 BILLION in EV development. So if Nissan is treating EVs as some kind of side-branch, that's a hell of money to spend on a 'hobby', especially when a few years ago Nissan wasn't far from bankruptcy. A shareholder meeting is also not really a marketing event, its aimed at 'shareholders', ie people who have money invested in the company, to re-assure them that their investment is going well etc

Edited by gangzoom

Please feel free to explain why you disagree with my thoughts :) or why you would think anyone into performance cars would agree with pretty much anything you have said, are to trying persuade us its a great thing or yourself?

Its the future whether you like it or not.

embraces it and see the good or be like the guys stuck in there cars from the 60's and think everything we have now is @*!#

If not the new nissan sports car/gtr the next will be a hybrid like the P1/918 Mitsubuhsi are talking about amping up the tech in their PHEV to make a full EV sports car

http://youtu.be/-0Uu-RXSFZ8

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

Please feel free to explain why you disagree with my thoughts :) or why you would think anyone into performance cars would agree with pretty much anything you have said, are to trying persuade us its a great thing or yourself?

I'm not going to waste too much time, because I've realised some people are just so small minded, any change form their pre-set norm is pretty much impossible-

But just for sake of 'debate' here are some youtube videos (which i've posted before) from car journalist on EVs..

Even the most die hard petrol-head cannot deny the performance EVs can offer....

....and ofcourse 'EVO'

18607148824_3b6bd56f29_z.jpg

I don't need to persuade my self about anything - the only thing I'm having a hard time doing is stopping my self from spending £55K right now a new 70D, but the Nissan don't want the Leaf back till end of the finance agreement, so for now I'll just make do with very cheap but enjoyable motoring :D...The possibility of buying a Tesla and leaving the Leaf parked up as SORN till the collection date has crossed my mind :lol:

Rather than stick your head in the sand and ignore everything else happening around EVs, why not go and do some proper research yourself, and if after that your still disagree, fine, BUT don't dismiss things based on your pre-fomred mis-conceptions.

Edited by gangzoom

The Issue now is not only the performance range is the EV cars look like they have been designed by someone doing a children book we want something with more flare

sorry Gangzoom The leaf looks like something from a fisher prices toy range but tesla and bmw are heading the way

Read this - http://www.stancewor...-bmw-i8-and-i3/

ind-distribution-bmw-i3-i8-bimmerfest-2015.jpg

bmw-i3-i8-ind-hre-wheels-bimmerfest-2015.jpg

13942246016_6662d4f066_b.jpg

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

Did i say it wasnt the future first? Although Ev's will not be the future of performance cars in our lifetime

P1, 918 are hybrids, perhaps your confused about the difference and cost way more than you or me will ever afford.

Its not small minded, stuck in the sand, blah, blah, blah. I am looking for debate, not pictures of cars drifting, which probably didnt last long because the battery would run out, which is the problem AND the planet is still be rapped of precious metals and burning fossil fuels to give you the electric.

• Like 1

Did i say it wasnt the future first? Although Ev's will not be the future of performance cars in our lifetime

P1, 918 are hybrids, perhaps your confused about the difference and cost way more than you or me will ever afford.

Its not small minded, stuck in the sand, blah, blah, blah. I am looking for debate, not pictures of cars drifting, which probably didnt last long because the battery would run out, which is the problem AND the planet is still be rapped of precious metals and burning fossil fuels to give you the electric.

you talk rubbish in a life time we have come from a Ford model T to a mclaren P1

Internal combustion and quit being offensive, its pissing me off !!!!!!

no more offensive than your being

right so in 70 years we went from a model T to a mclaren F1

What to stop us in 70 years going

from a nissan leaf to a nissan GTRev wih 1000bhp and 1000 miles of range

Edited by StevoD

come on fellas - lets keep this to discussion and not name calling etc

EV is always going to be an emotive topic, but lets try and keep it under control

• Like 1

I fully agree the Leaf looks odd, and clearly is no performance car, but its more fun and responsive to drive than our Lexus IS300H, and by god it's better than any equivalent Nissan Note / Pulsar family hatchback.

For me the Leaf is a means to an end, but as a commute car, it makes lots of sense. If I kept the Leaf longterm, I could justify having one of these in the garage for weekend runs....

45cef20ccccde4be43c1f6dafc.jpg

• Like 1

Have you actually looked back at how things have changed in just the last 50-100 years.....The DNA double hex was only discovered in the 1950's, as already mentioned the Ford Model T was still on sale in 1915. Tesla as company didn't even exist until 2003. I'm sorry you seem to be so angry about the possibility of ICE been replaced, but times are changing, remember when Nokia use to be a big company selling millions of phones every day, and than small computer company called Apple released the iPhone.....That was all the way back in ancient days of 2007 :p

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

Regarding Cars looking at Pikes Peak its seem to be quite a conclusion with all the drivers that EV cars will be the fastest cars in a year or two, due to to the fact of zero performance loss unlike the fuel cars get the higher they go,

It is safe to say we have i guess a good 30-40 years of commercial Performance hybrids with a golf gti hybrids focus st hybrid etc before we have a full on Focus STev etc but it will happen

Edited by StevoD

....AND the planet is still be rapped of precious metals and burning fossil fuels to give you the electric.

^That is true.

g1323362088912231839.jpg

Think the percentage is higher for the UK as well, something like 73% made using natural gas, coal and oil (fossil fuels).

@gangzoom ~ Imo there is no way we will see EV's replace ICE vehicles in our lifetime.

• Like 1

Ironic that you like Ioneabee comment when its you who reduced it to name calling as ever.

If you dont like my opinion, please feel free to discuss, rather than youre usual throw all your toys out the pram and be personal.

Gangzoom, yes tech is changing, i am not a dinosaur, but its way way way off being what it needs to be and still you dont want to answer that its still rapping our planet for precious metals and still using fossil fuels to give you your electric.

They might get cars to a reasonable level, but your still going to have planes, container ships not being able to operate without internal combustion!

• Like 1

That's exactly my thoughts on ev's, there going to be the go to car and about 80 percent of cars being bought 20 years will be made from carbon/plastic and will be fully electric. Look how tesla have reduced the charge times from something stupid like 8-9hours to 20-30 mins for 200-300 miles in the last five years.

Ev's will save ICE cars for pleasure the same way that cars have saved horses for recreation imo

• Like 2

wooo...when did this become a 'save the planet' argument???!! :lol:

Having owned a Integra Type R, 350Z, 335i, do anyone here actually think I care about the environment :surrender:

All I want is speed, refinement, at a lowest running cost possible. Based on those criteria EVs seat a new bench mark.

This video from a guy testing an electric motorbike is hilarious, listen to the nosies his making from about 4 minutes in on the video, I think he must have a past acting role in 'Big boys 6' or something similar :lol:

Edited by gangzoom

Ironic that you like Ioneabee comment when its you who reduced it to name calling as ever.

If you dont like my opinion, please feel free to discuss, rather than youre usual throw all your toys out the pram and be personal.

Gangzoom, yes tech is changing, i am not a dinosaur, but its way way way off being what it needs to be and still you dont want to answer that its still rapping our planet for precious metals and still using fossil fuels to give you your electric.

They might get cars to a reasonable level, but your still going to have planes, container ships not being able to operate without internal combustion!

Good luck debating this, tried in the last thread, apparently we're too small minded, yet it's okay to just see EV as the ONLY way with no justification -.-

As I said before EV = Commuters car, not a petrol heads car.

• Like 3

That's exactly my thoughts on ev's, there going to be the go to car and about 80 percent of cars being bought 20 years will be made from carbon/plastic and will be fully electric. Look how tesla have reduced the charge times from something stupid like 8-9hours to 20-30 mins for 200-300 miles in the last five years.

Ev's will save ICE cars for pleasure the same way that cars have saved horses for recreation imo

Just as race-horses are kept for well 'racing', no EV will produce the noise/drama of a V12, but does anyone actually want to be deafened by a V12 whilst sitting in traffic on your daily commute...Some might, but the vast majority wouldn't. Imagine is the government stopped taxing petrol instead focused on electricity...All of a sudden you can run a V12 for cheap, as a weekend toy, whilst going to work on a EV.