A quick update on my electric Nissan :)

gangzoom

Ofcourse been an American company you have to be sure to read the small print, but I've never seen any other car manufacture state anything like this on their website....So either Tesla have very good lawyers or are confident about failure rates. I suspect it's a bit of both :)

18988857096_c05ff926e0_z_d.jpg

so out of interest, what does actually wear out in an EV engine? does it have a cooling circuit, water pump, radiator or the like?

I suppose it also has no intake or exhaust either... or fuel pump, or injectors, or spark plugs, since theres no combustion...... errmm... does the engine have any fluids in it at all? presume it must have a bearing in it somewhere, but that would be sealed for life rather than needing lubrication?

I have never heard of company who is happy to have a lower profit margin than last year ever

How many companies have you heard of that are happy to have gone out of business instead then?

I didn't say they'd be happy about it, doesn't mean they wouldn't do it though. ;)

I have never heard of company who is happy to have a lower profit margin than last year ever

How many companies have you heard of that are happy to have gone out of business instead then?

I didn't say they'd be happy about it, doesn't mean they wouldn't do it though. ;)

call it which way you want

we went form coal to leaded petrol Coal is now more expensive now that when it was in demand

we went from leaded fuel to unleaded fuel, leaded fuel is now more expensive than it was when it was in demand

I have zero doubt that unleaded petrol will do the same when we transfer are main power supply of vehicles to electric

It's mostly 'inspections' - I wonder how that compares with the service schedule of any M car ;)

I suspect not far off the same price. At least you can go to an indy for the M cars. Still, good to know that there is some kind of service plan, for whatever car that one that Stevo dug up is for. Rotate the tyres though, seriously?! I thought this was the progressive future? ;):lol:

Tesla is as much about marketing as it is the technology. That warranty thing is pretty nice to have, and certainly makes a nice tagline.

I have zero doubt that unleaded petrol will do the same IF we transfer are main power supply of vehicles to electric

Fixed.

All conjecture any way, it's nothing any of us will see in our lifetime. I'll put £100 on that.

I have zero doubt that unleaded petrol will do the same IF we transfer are main power supply of vehicles to electric

Fixed.

All conjecture any way, it's nothing any of us will see in our lifetime. I'll put £100 on that.

deal!

but in 100 years we went from streets with

This

heritage100loadimage.jpg?id=13791

to this

toyota-to-put-cummins-diesel-in-tundra-pickup-66075-7.jpg

Why you dont think in 100 years we cant go from a fossil fuel powered truck to a Ev powered truck i have no idea

Edited by StevoD

The demand for coal is still relatively high, given how there's few power stations that run on the stuff and all. ;)

I have zero doubt that unleaded petrol will do the same IF we transfer our main power supply of vehicles to electric

I do, but that's more due to the long term sustainability of electricity harvested from fossil fuels as a power source.

As Ekona elluded to, IF that happens at all, it certainly won't be in the short or mid term. 100 years isn't mid term. :p

The demand for coal is still relatively high, given how there's few power stations that run on the stuff and all. ;)

If you call are coal usage high now to what we where using from the around 1850-1950 then word high needs to be redefined

Exactly Ilogikal. We have nowhere near the infrastructure to support electricity generation by other means aside from fossil fuels, and there's no plans to do so either on the scale required.

I won't be here in 60 years, much less 100 years, so the bet is only valid until my death :p

Exactly Ilogikal. We have nowhere near the infrastructure to support electricity generation by other means aside from fossil fuels, and there's no plans to do so either on the scale required.

I won't be here in 60 years, much less 100 years, so the bet is only valid until my death :p

you said our lifetime so its on till we both die :boxing::lol:

• Like 1

we didnt have the road infrastructure 60 years ago we have now,

I suppose it also has no intake or exhaust either... or fuel pump, or injectors, or spark plugs, since theres no combustion

That's the beauty of the electric motor, energy is transformed to motion via the magic of electromagnetic forces, there's no need for complicated combustion. Electric motors are 80-90% efficient at covering energy to motive force, compared to 17% go the best ICE engine.

Electricity generation is a problem that needs to be addressed, but I certainly didn't realise a solar panel with 20% efficiency (current mass market panels) can supple enough electricity to power my house when combined with a battery pack (excluding car charging).

As for people who don't think things will change for another 100 years....When I was at school the 'internet' barely existed, we had this thing called Netscape. Look at where we are now with communication....

This is what an aeroplane looked like in 1915...

Fokker_E-I.jpg

....and this is what we have managed to build now.

International_Space_Station_after_undocking_of_STS-132.jpg

Personally I find it sad to think people here don't believe we can transfer from petrol cars to EVs in the our life time. I see/talk to people everyday whom have lived through TWO world wars, I cannot imagine what they think of the world now compared to when they were growing up.

• Like 1

Exactly! To support that many cars moving to EV, we'd need masses more electricity than we can produce now, let alone with another billion vehicles charging up every night.

But this is the joy of invention and progress, we didnt need electricity in the early 1900 now every home in this country has it we found away last time we will find away this time

be it solar roads or pressure roads etc there will be away

We won't, because we don't need to. I agree, if we'd hit peak oil and we were running out of the black stuff then absolutely, we'd transfer very quickly to whatever we needed as a race.

But we haven't, so we won't. You can pick up a usable car for £500, and with a little bit of knowledge you can keep that on the road yourself, which makes it the choice of transport for the masses. I have no idea how long, if ever, that will happen for EVs.

But I don't care, because I'll be dead.

• Like 1

We won't, because we don't need to.

That's the kind of progressive spirit/mindset we need more of, there are still tribes in the Amazon rainforest that have followed your guidance, you could argue they have done the right thing and made the right lifestyle choices :D

Edited by gangzoom

If you call are coal usage high now to what we where using from the around 1850-1950 then word high needs to be redefined

I didn't say it was the highest everer though. Compare it to the 1250-1350 usage, today's use rates are extortionate...

Context dear boy, context. As a side note, if you're thinking about 65-165 years ago as a fair comparison for a hypothetical future just 5 years away; have you applied inflation rates to the price of coal in 1850-1950? If not, how do you know that the price is higher now despite the comparitively lower demand?

We won't, because we don't need to.

That's the kind of progressive spirit/mindset we need more of, there are still tribes in the Amazon rainforest that have followed your guidance, you could argue they have done the right thing and made the right lifestyle choices :D

For them, they have.

We won't, because we don't need to. I agree, if we'd hit peak oil and we were running out of the black stuff then absolutely, we'd transfer very quickly to whatever we needed as a race.

But we haven't, so we won't. You can pick up a usable car for £500, and with a little bit of knowledge you can keep that on the road yourself, which makes it the choice of transport for the masses. I have no idea how long, if ever, that will happen for EVs.

But I don't care, because I'll be dead.

thing is yoursaying that as a petrol head,

say in 10-15 years we have a ev car that will do 300 Miles to a charge and charge in 30 mins you tell mrs jones who wants to take her son to school and go waitrose once a week for the same money as a ford focus she can have a EV that will cost here about £10 a month in fuel and little to non existence service costs and when she stops a waitrose she can plug here car in charge up, the majority of road users who see cars as a thing to go places will jump at the chance to have one

Edited by StevoD

I didn't say it was the highest everer though. Compare it to the 1250-1350 usage, today's use rates are extortionate...

Context dear boy, context. As a side note, if you're thinking about 65-165 years ago as a fair comparison for a hypothetical future just 5 years away; have you applied inflation rates to the price of coal in 1850-1950? If not, how do you know that the price is higher now despite the comparitively lower demand?

your the person playing with a 5 year rule everyone else in talking about in a life time,

Context dear boy

Edited by StevoD

Mrs Jones might love that idea, but Our Mate Terry who lives dahn the end of the 'igh street guvnor won't be able to afford any of that. The demand will not be there, so it won't happen. The only items I can think of in recent times that has created it's own metasphere of want is the iPhone (smartphones in general) and the iPad (tablets). But that was Apple and Steve Jobs, who was a master at these things.

The big manufacturers who are pumping millions into this are also pumping billions into extending the future of the ICE, as that's where the short and medium term future lies.

• Like 1

your the person playing with a 5 year rule everyone else in talking about in a life time,

Context dear boy

5 year rule came from Gangzoom talking about "by 2020" actually. ;)

Everyone else is talking about "in a life time" because everyone else has a more realisitic timescale in mind. :p