Breaks squeal

Z_Hass

Hi all, the brakes on my 350z are squealing at low speed when hot. I took it to my local mechanic and he cleaned/applied copper grease, and then it was good for a couple of weeks before it started to squeal again. Pads are not low. Any idea how/where I can sort this out. Am based in Surrey.

Thanks.

Edited by Z_Hass

• 2 months later...

I've had a fair few pads and discs combination on my old car, everything from stock to drilled, grooved and coloured. With brand new pads in my old one used to squeal under braking so in the end I took them all out and removed the arm that makes contact with the disc. That shut it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd love to get my squeal problem sorted. It just about drove me round the twist last Summer and then I had all new discs and pads fitted in February. Have had the same problem this Summer, although not quite as bad - probably due to the fact the weather has been worse (the squeal is never as bad in Winter).

Am going to add the suggestions above to my annual service snag list (thanks T&W and Marcus for your advice). Hopefully, I'll get it sorted out this time round!

I had a bit of squealing from my brakes as well, pads were getting to the end of their life and the discs were pretty shot! Switched over to hawk ceramic pads and stoptech slotted discs - same as what octet is selling at the moment. No squeal now, also the brake dust is minimal!

The nice pads have a soft material on the back of the pads so shims aren't needed (I've hawk ceramics) The cheaper one's don't (whatever my old ones are) and so shims are needed with grease either side. I had this the first time I swapped my pads and shims fixed it instantly. This time I bought nice pads and don't need the shims anymore (should probably clean em and sell them!)

I too have squealing brakes at times, but note it is when gently applying the brake pedal only.

I thought about just jumping on the brakes :lol: but as this is not always possible and invariably not safe either, :scare: I will try some of the suggestions above too. :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. Just had a read of all your comments cause I've got a horrendous squeak coming from my front brakes. They've squeaked a bit since having the car (2 and half years) but I've just changed all round discs and pads (pagid discs and brembo pads) and now the noise is almost unbearable, it's so high pitched at a certain point of braking! I've just fitted anti squeal shims to the back of the pads but the noise is still there, possibly even worse! Any other ideas from what's already on this thread?

Thanks in advance

Hi guys. Just had a read of all your comments cause I've got a horrendous squeak coming from my front brakes. They've squeaked a bit since having the car (2 and half years) but I've just changed all round discs and pads (pagid discs and brembo pads) and now the noise is almost unbearable, it's so high pitched at a certain point of braking! I've just fitted anti squeal shims to the back of the pads but the noise is still there, possibly even worse! Any other ideas from what's already on this thread?

Thanks in advance

Have you added copper slip/grease to the back of BOTH sides of the shims?